8/31/02 info from Johnny Ferguson email@example.com
This John Forgeson came from Scotland to York Co, VA on the ship Phoenix of Leith in 1666. This John Ferguson of Scotland was born about 1650 and died in 1717 in VA. His wife was Ann Stubbleson.
Will dated May 10, 1715 Will Bk 3, Pg 8, Essex Co. VA.
Much of this information from many including: Tony Ferguson, Leonard Damron, Bob Grooms...
Descendants of John Farguson
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN1 FARGUSON was born 1650 in Scotland, and died 1717 in Cherry Walk Family Estate, Essex Co, VA.. He married ANN STUBBLESON February 12, 1682/83 in Rappahannock, VA, daughter of STUBBLE STUBBLESON. She was born 1660, and died in Cherry Walk Family Estate, Essex Co, VA..
John Ferguson, born approx. 1650, was indentured to the Virginia colony in 1666-67 along with his younger brother, James. They were sent out of Edinburgh tolbooth. I'm looking for some clue as to their place of origin in Scotland or why they were imprisoned.
Fact 1: Imprisoned in Edinburgh Tolbooth at age 14 yrs
Fact 2: The Edinburgh, Scotland, prison was in Tolbooth(tolbuith)
Fact 3: May 1666, Phoenix of Leith out of Leith, port of Edinburgh, Scotland
Fact 4: Came to Virginia as an indentured servant in 1666 on the ship Phoenix of Leith.
Fact 5: November 12, 1666, Sold in York county, VA (fargeson, Jno)
Fact 6: April 25, 1667, Was in New Kent County, VA(Fargeson, Jno.)
Fact 7: Bet. October 08, 1670 - October 27, 1673, Was in Accomacke County, VA(Forgeson, John)
Fact 8: 1704, Was listed on the Virginia Quit Rent Rolls, 1704. Listing of
landowners who paid quit rent to the Crown in Virginia in 1704. Jno Ferguson had
150 acres in Essex Co., VA
Children of JOHN FARGUSON and ANN STUBBLESON are:
2. i. CARY2 FARGUSON, b. Bef. 1683, Rappahannock Co, VA; d. Aft. 1742.
3. ii. SARAH FARGUSON, b. Abt 1684, VA; d. Abt 1740, Essex Co, VA.
4. iii. JOHN FARGUSON, b. Abt 1685, Rappahannock Co., VA; d. Bef. April 22, 1769, Essex/Mechlenburg Co., VA.
5. iv. JAMES SAMUEL FARGUSON, SR, b. Abt 1687, Rappahannock Co or Essex, VA; d. Abt July 1741, Goochland Co, VA.
v. JOSEPH FARGUSON, b. Abt 1691, Essex Co, VA; d. Bef. November 05, 1717, Essex Co, VA.Notes for JOSEPH FARGUSON:Died a Bachelor
6. vi. SAMUEL FARGUSON, b. Abt 1693, Essex Co, VA; d. Bef. May 18, 1772, Culpepper Co, VA.
7. vii. MARY FARGUSON, b. Abt 1695, VA; d. Abt 1750, NC.
Generation No. 2
2. CARY2 FARGUSON (JOHN1) was born Bef. 1683 in Rappahannock Co, VA, and died Aft. 1742. She married (1) CLASS CASTON Bef. 1705. He died 1714. She married (2) HENRY PERKINS, JR Aft. 1705.
Children of CARY FARGUSON and CLASS CASTON are:
i. JOHN3 CASTON, b. Bef. March 11, 1705/06.
ii. UNKNOWN CASTON.
iii. UNKNOWN CASTON.
iv. UNKNOWN CASTON.
Children of CARY FARGUSON and HENRY PERKINS are:
v. UNKNOWN3 PERKINS.
vi. UNKNOWN PERKINS.
vii. UNKNOWN PERKINS.
viii. UNKNOWN PERKINS.
ix. UNKNOWN PERKINS.
3. SARAH2 FARGUSON (JOHN1) was born Abt 1684 in VA, and died Abt 1740 in Essex Co, VA. She married THOMAS REDD. He was born 1675.
Children of SARAH FARGUSON and THOMAS REDD are:
i. JOHN3 REDD, b. Abt 1695; m. MARY UNKNOWN.
ii. JOSEPH REDD, m. CATY/BETTY UNKNOWN.
iii. JAMES REDD, d. 1784, Spotsylvania; m. ELIZABETH (TURNER?).
iv. SARAH REDD, b. Abt 1710; m. JOHN HORD.
v. THOMAS REDD, d. Abt 1745, King/Queen, Essex Co, VA; m. ELIZABETH BARBEE.
vi. SAMUEL REDD, d. 1791, Caroline Co; m. LUCY ROGERS.
4. JOHN2 FARGUSON (JOHN1) was born Abt 1685 in Rappahannock Co., VA, and died Bef. April 22, 1769 in Essex/Mechlenburg Co., VA. He married (1) SARAH GATEWOOD Abt 1730, daughter of JOHN GATEWOOD and AMY. He married (2) SARAH BRIDGEFORTH 1764 in Essec Co, VA.
Notes for JOHN FARGUSON: John Ferguson - 1725 Land Patent in VA Posted by: Don Blankenship Date: July 27, 2001 at 01:45:33 of 6114 On 24 March 1725/26 John Ferguson purchased land in Henrico County, Virginia located on the upper James River just north of present day Petersburg and about 15 miles south of Richmond. He was one of the early pioneers of colonial Virginia. You can find the deed for his property and many of his neighbors posted at my web site http://www.blankenships.orghttp://www.blankenships.org. Choose the selection for "Land Deeds" and "Land Patents" in Henrico Co. Virginia. There are three separate web pages dedicated to Henrico County land patents and hundreds of records. Some land patents have the precise geographic coordinates stated in 1/1, 000ths of a degree. A map of some of these coordinates can be accessed
Children of JOHN FARGUSON and SARAH GATEWOOD are:
i. ELIZABETH3 FARGUSON, b. 1722, Essex Co, VA; m. JOSEPH RYLAND; b. 1716.
8. ii. JOHN FORGUSON, b. 1722; d. December 20, 1794, Culpepper Co, VA.
iii. JOSEPH FARGUSON, b. 1725, Essex Co, VA.
iv. JAMES FARGUSON, b. 1726.
v. THOMAS FARGUSON, b. 1728.
vi. CATHERINE FARGUSON, b. 1730.
vii. AMY FARGUSON, b. 1730.
viii. SARAH FARGUSON, b. 1731.
ix. BENJAMIN ALEXANDER FERGUSON, b. February 04, 1734/35, 1785, Mechlenburg Co., VA; d. 1785; m. MARY ELAM.
x. UNKNOWN A. FARGUSON, b. 1738.
xi. JAEL FORGESON, b. January 07, 1739/40; m. THOMAS RYLAND.
xii. UNKNOWN B. FARGUSON, b. Abt 1741.
Children of JOHN FARGUSON and SARAH BRIDGEFORTH are:
9. xiii. PELEG3 FARGUSON, b. Aft. 1730; d. 1796, Nottoway Co, VA.
xiv. ROBERT FARGUSON, d. 1778.
xv. TITUS FARGUSON, d. September 1778; m. HANNA.
xvi. ANN FARGUSON, b. Essex County, VA; m. MARTIN.
xvii. JOICE FARGUSON, m. LUMPKIN.
xviii. PHILADELPHIA FERGUSON, b. 1732; d. September 1804, Nottoway Co, VA; m. BENJAMIN BRIDGFORTH.
5. JAMES SAMUEL2 FARGUSON, SR (JOHN1) was born Abt 1687 in Rappahannock Co or Essex, VA, and died Abt July 1741 in Goochland Co, VA. He married ANN Abt 1710 in Goochland Co, VA.
Notes for JAMES SAMUEL FARGUSON, SR: Will of James Ferguson (Fargesson), Order Book #3, p. 429, Goochland Co., VA
Children of JAMES FARGUSON and ANN are:
i. SAMUEL3 FARGUSON, m. ELIZABETH DUNMORE, January 21, 1759.
ii. JAMES SAMUEL FARGUSON, b. Abt 1715, Goochland Co, VA; d. Abt 1788, Chester Co, SC.
iii. ELIZABETH FARGUSON, b. 1717, Essex Co, VA; d. November 1774, Spotsylvania Co., VA.
iv. ANN FARGUSON, b. Abt 1719, Essex Co, VA; d. Essex Co, VA.
v. JOHN FARGUSON, b. 1721, Essex Co, VA; d. 1778, Amelia Co. VA; m. ELIZABETH.
vi. RACHEL FARGUSON, b. 1725, Essex Co, VA; d. NC; m. JOHN PERKINS, Abt 1756.
vii. SARAH FARGUSON, b. 1732, Essex County, VA; d. April 09, 1757, Goochland Co, VA; m. RICHARD OGILSBY, Abt 1756.
viii. MARY FARGUSON, b. Abt 1734, Essex Co, VA; m. D. A. KNOWLING, Abt 1757.
ix. WILLIAM FARGUSON, b. 1736, Essex Co, VA; d. SC.
6. SAMUEL2 FARGUSON (JOHN1) was born Abt 1693 in Essex Co, VA, and died Bef. May 18, 1772 in Culpepper Co, VA. He married ANN BROWN Abt 1722.Marriage Notes for SAMUEL FARGUSON and ANN BROWN: 8 children
Children of SAMUEL FARGUSON and ANN BROWN are:
i. ANN3 FARGUSON.
ii. UNKNOWN FARGUSON.
iii. UNKNOWN FARGUSON.
iv. UNKNOWN FARGUSON.
v. UNKNOWN FARGUSON.
vi. UNKNOWN FARGUSON.
vii. UNKNOWN FARGUSON.
viii. UNKNOWN FARGUSON.
7. MARY2 FARGUSON (JOHN1) was born Abt 1695 in VA, and died Abt 1750 in NC. She married JOSEPH ROGERS Abt 1713 in VA. He was born Abt 1694 in Surry Co, VA, and died February 1750/51 in North Hampton Co., NC.
Child of MARY FARGUSON and JOSEPH ROGERS is:
i. JOHN3 ROGERS, b. Abt 1714.
Generation No. 3
8. JOHN3 FORGUSON (JOHN2 FARGUSON, JOHN1) was born 1722, and died December 20, 1794 in Culpepper Co, VA. He married MARTHA HAMMETT Abt 1750. She died 1777 in Culpepper Co, VA. Notes for MARTHA HAMMETT: Martha Hammett's siblings were: John Ferguson Hammett, Sarah Hammett, James Hammett, William Hammett, Margaret Hammett, Charles C. Hammett, Mary Hammett, Robert Hammett, Daniel Hammett, George Hammett, Joseph Hammett.
Children of JOHN FORGUSON and MARTHA HAMMETT are:
i. JESSE4 FORGUSON.
ii. ALEXANDER FORGUSON.
iii. SAMUEL FORGUSON.
iv. CATRON FORGUSON, m. COONES.
v. MARTHA FORGUSON, m. PAIN.
vi. WILLIAM FORGUSON, b. 1754; m. (1) DOLLY AMISS, January 25, 1783, Fauquier Co., VA; b. Abt 1765; m. (2) ANN PEPPER, August 28, 1789, Faurquier Co., VA.
9. PELEG3 FARGUSON (JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Aft. 1730, and died 1796 in Nottoway Co, VA. He married (1) FAITH ANDERSON. She was born 1727 in Arnols, Surry Co., VA, and died Bef. October 20, 1771 in Nottoway Co, VA. He married (2) FRANCES Bef. 1776.Notes for PELEG FARGUSON: I found the Peleg Ferguson mentioned in this will I was reading. Will send the will & site it came from hope it will help someone. <<
Children of PELEG FARGUSON and FAITH ANDERSON are:
10. i. WILLIAM4 FERGUSON, b. May 11, 1764, Pedlar's Creek, Amelia County, VA; d. December 09, 1834, Mossy Creek, Habersham County, GA.
ii. ELIZABETH FERGUSON, b. Amelia County, VA; m. UNKNOWN JACKSON.
iii. DELPHY FERGUSON, b. Bef. 1765; m. SAMUEL JONES, November 24, 1785, Amelia Co, VA.
iv. MARY FERGUSON, b. Aft. 1765, Amelia County, VA; d. Bef. 1818; m. JOHN ANDERSON; b. March 18, 1753, Amelia County, VA; d. November 1818, Charlotte Co., VA.
v. JOHN FERGUSON, b. Aft. 1765, Amelia CO, VA; m. OLIVE WILLIAMS, April 21, 1789, Amelia Co, VA.
vi. LUCY FERGUSON, b. Bef. 1771, Amelia CO, VA; d. Aft. 1830; m. (1) FOUNTAIN TANKERSLEY, Bef. 1787; m. (2) BURWELL JACKSON, October 26, 1787, Amelia Co, VA; d. 1792, Nottoway Co, VA.
Generation No. 4
10. WILLIAM4 FERGUSON (PELEG3 FARGUSON, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born May 11, 1764 in Pedlar's Creek, Amelia County, VA, and died December 09, 1834 in Mossy Creek, Habersham County, GA. He married JUDA WOOD March 10, 1791 in Greene County, TN, daughter of BELFIELD WOOD and NANCY UNKNOWN. She was born 1775 in TN/NC, and died February 27, 1862 in Mossy Creek, Habersham County, GA.
Children of WILLIAM FERGUSON and JUDA WOOD are:
i. HUGH5 FERGUSON, b. 1792, Pendleton District of SC; d. 1862, GA.
ii. HENRY WOOD FERGUSON, b. August 02, 1793, Pendleton District of SC; d. January 07, 1848, Logan, Arkansas.
iii. WILLIAM W. "BIG CREEK" FERGUSON, b. 1794, Pendleton District of SC; d. Aft. 1860.
iv. JOHN FERGUSON, b. 1797, Pendleton District of South Carolina; d. Aft. 1850, KY; m. MAHALA WRIGHT, Bef. 1828, Cumberland County, KY; b. 1805, KY.
v. ELIZABETH FERGUSON, b. 1799, Pendleton District of SC; d. Aft. 1860.
vi. JAMES HAMILTON FERGUSON, b. 1802, Pendleton District of SC; d. Aft. 1850, KY.
vii. BELFIELD WOOD FERGUSON, b. 1804, Pendleton District of SC; d. 1840, Union prison, Ill.
viii. GIRL FERGUSON, b. Aft. 1804, Pendleton District of SC; m. UNKNOWN DAVIS?.
ix. ELIJAH FERGUSON, b. February 01, 1807, Pendleton District of SC; d. February 13, 1875, Hempstead County, Arkansas.
x. M. A. FERGUSON, b. Abt 1809, SC.
xi. JOSIAH ELLIS FERGUSON, b. 1812, Franklin County, TN; d. 1832, Hempstead County, Arkansas.
xii. CHAMPION FERGUSON, b. October 18, 1813, Franklin County, TN; d. January 14, 1881, Ten Mile, Meigs County, TN. Notes for CHAMPION FERGUSON:Per Leonard Damron - Champion Ferguson, b. 1813 Ky., d. 1881 Tenn.
xiii. EDWARD HAMILTON FERGUSON, b. 1816, Cumberland County, KY; d. January 17, 1862, Albany, Clinton County, KY.
xiv. ANDREW JACKSON FERGUSON, b. January 14, 1820, Cumberland County, KY; d. December 16, 1897, Mossy Creek, White County, GA.