I was very interested to see your note No 98.I am also an amateur.
But I am puzzled about your Thomas Forson.I have the following information:
1. Thomas, Son of David Forson, Dryburgh and of Elisabeth Thomson his wife, was born on the 10th March and baptized on 18th April 1837OPRb/Mertoun, Scotland 751/2, p17, FR 250.
2. Thomas was at home for the 1841 census and the 1851 census but not for the 1861 census returns for Dryburgh, Scotland.
3. A family document in my possession states (see my Genform note No 65): Thomas 10th March 1837, died at Buffalo [NY state USA] Decr 1897.
4. The USA 1880 census has an entry: 1880 United States Census: Census Place: Buffalo, Erie, New York Rel Sex Mar Race AgeBirpl Occ Fa Mo Thomas FORSON Self M M W 43 SCO Builder SCO. SCO. Mary D. FORSON Wife F M W 35 ENG Keeping House ENG ENG. Mary E. FORSON Dau F S W 10 NY At School SCOT ENG. Grace F. FORSON Dau F S W 7 NY At School SCOT ENG. John A. FORSON Son M S W 5 NY SCOT ENG. Cora I. FORSON Dau F S W 2 NY SCOT. ENG. FHL Film 1254830; National Archives Film T9-0830; Page 372D
5. Demmons & Forson (J. Demmons and T. Forson), marble and granite workers, Court c. Morgan.Reference: Over one hundred cities and villages in New York State, Boyd's, 1869-70, page 253.
As Thomas’s father David Forson was a mason and builder, it seems very likely that these records are all for the same Thomas, though I have not been able to find his marriage.
Thomas and his wife Mathilda Sowder are in the 1870 Suwannee Co Fl census according to Bruce Wiland (Genforum note No 98) at a time that Thomas and his wife Mary are in NY.They must be two different people.
It seems unlikely that two Thomas Forsons were born on the same day, and died in the same year.I therefore presume that the birth and death dates that you give for the Thomas who married Mathilda are in fact those of the Thomas who married Mary.Please correct me if you think this is wrong.I would have sent an e-mail, but I don’t have your address.
If you have details of either the 1870 Suwannee Co Fl census or the or the 1900 Bosque Co Tx census, could you possibly give me details of Thomas and his wife, in particular their ages and birth places and the age of their eldest and youngest children.
Thanks and best wishes, Andrew Forson (great-great nephew of Thomas of Dryburgh and NY)