David, The following was put together by my cousin who lives in Aberdeen and study's Family History at the college there. I am not sure if it would help you, but some of what you mentioned seems very familiar and coincidental to our family.
My grandfather was David John Forsyth who was born in Aberdeen in 1906. His fathers name was Alexander. As you read on, you will see there were many Alexander in this family. Most likely, just a very common name in Scotland.
Feel free to write back if something rings a bell. I could probably get you in touch with my cousin who has spent many years studying history of our family.
I live in the US, but she is there in Aberdeen Scotland.
5.Jane MACKIE1,2,9 was born on 25 May 1865 in Mortlach Banff.10Before 1888 she was a Domestic servant before marriage.She lived in Mortlach - Conval Hill in 1888.She lived in Drainie - Shepherds Home Coulardbank Farm in 1901.She died on 21 Jul 1942 in Lossiemouth - 40 Inchbroom Road.7She was buried in Lossiemouth.James FORSYTH and Jane MACKIE had the following children:
i. Wilamena? FORSYTH was born.
ii. Cara? FORSYTH was born.
iii. Alexander FORSYTH1,2,11 was born on 16 Sep 1888 in Drainie.7,12He appeared in the census in 1891.lived at Coulardbank Farm BuildingsHe was buried in 1915 in France RUE-DU-BACQUEROT No.1 MILITARY CEMETERY, LAVENTIE.He died on 15 Jul 1915 in france Bethume France.killed in actionHe was a Corporal 6th Seaforth Highlanders (No 9628); farm servant.ELGIN COURANT 10 Sept 1915 FORSYTH - Killed in action on 15 August, Corporal Alexander Forsyth, eldest son of James Forsyth, Woodside, Drainie aged 26 years
ALSO newspaper clipping and picture
iv. Catherine (Kate) FORSYTH1,2 was born in 1890 in Drainie.She appeared in the census in 1891.Stayed at Coulardbank Farm Buildings - aged 6 monthsShe appeared in the census in 1901 in Stayed at Coulardbank Farm Buildings - aged 10.
v. William FORSYTH2,13 was born on 19 Aug 1893 in Drainie - Merryton Coulardbank farm.14He lived and worked as a Farm Labourer in Kinloss - Kinloss Farm in 1912.He served in the military on 6 Aug 1914.He died on 3 Apr 1920 in Elgin - Dr Grays Hospital.7,15in Northern Scot 10 April 1920He was buried in Lossiemouth.He was a Farm Servant / Gardener.
vi. Maria (Martha) FORSYTH2 was born in 1895 in Drainie.
vii. Jeannie FORSYTH2 was born in 1897 in Drainie.She died in 1998 in USA Sanger, California.She was buried in USA Forest Lawn, Hollywood.1920 - reg Williams death
viii. George FORSYTH2,16 was born on 24 Jan 1899.7He died on 3 May 1938 in Lossiemouth.17Car accident - car into harbourHe was buried in Lossiemouth.He lived in 1938 Drainie - Janefield.He was a Worked at Holland House London with Domestic staff until the war, then entered the navy although a k.Car went into harbour at Lossiemouth. Driver was Hugh Brander who also died. At time of his death Mrs Forsyth has just sold Aldersyde and was moving to Lossiemouth
ix. Mary FORSYTH2 was born on 5 Oct 1900 in Drainie - Merryton Coulardbank farm.7She died on 4 May 1928 in USA Good Samaritan Hospital Los angeles California.Died of CancerNORTHERN SCOT Sat 19 May 1928 FORSYTH - At the Good Samaritan Hospital, Los Angeles, California on 4 May 1928, Mary fourth daughter of Mr and Mrs James Forsyth, Aldersyde Drainie aged 27 years
x. James FORSYTH was born on 8 Nov 1902 in Drainie - Merryton Coulardbank farm.
xi. Margaret Anne FORSYTH was born on 18 Mar 1905 in Drainie - Dalgreens.18
2 xii. David John FORSYTH.
xiii. Robert Lennox FORSYTH was born in 1909.7He died on 19 Jul 1930 in USA Murdered USA.19,20He was buried in USA Cremated - unknown.He was a Before going abroad he worked for the CoveseaDairy Company.He emigrated when he was 18 and took up.NORTHERN SCOT Aug 23 1930 FORSYTH - Found drowned San pedro, California on 26 July, Robert Lennox Forysth, youngest son of Mr and Mrs James Forsyth, Aldersyde Drainie aged 21 years
NO OF NEWSPAPER CLIPPINGS ON HIS MURDER
8.Alexander FORSYTH4,21-23 was born on 19 May 1830 in Drainie.He was christened on 19 May 1830 in Drainie.He lived in Burghead in 1859.In 1860 he was a Daylabourer.Between 1863 and 1888 he was a Carter in Burghead and later Duffus.Between 1871 and 1888 he was a Carter.He lived in lossiemouth - 2 macduff street between 1891 and 1906.He died on 24 Feb 1906 in lossiemouth - 2 macduff street.24Alexander FORSYTH and Ann MURRAY were married on 28 Oct 1859 in Burghead.25,26
9.Ann MURRAY was born on 23 Sep 1835 in Golspie, Sutherland.She lived in Burghead in 1859.She died on 9 Oct 1863 in Burghead.27Alexander FORSYTH and Ann MURRAY had the following children:
4 i. James FORSYTH.
ii. Alexander FORSYTH was born about 1863 in Burghead.4
10.George MACKIE28-30 was born on 23 Feb 1840 in Tarland- Mittentaggart (sp?) Aberdeenshire.31He was christened on 23 Feb 1840.In 1865 he was a Farm servant .He appeared in the census in 1871 in Mortlach Dufftown No 132 on schedule.9He died on 22 Nov 1918 in Marnoch - Strichen Mills.32MACKIE - At the Mills of Strichen (his son - in - laws) on the 22nd inst, George Mackie, late of 23 Church Street Dufftown aged 78 yearsMACKIE - At the Mills of Strichen (his son - in - laws) on the 22nd inst, George Mackie, late of 23 Church Street Dufftown aged 78 yearsGeorge MACKIE and Catherine ANDERSON were married on 21 Jun 1862 in Mortlach Banff.33GRAVESTONE INSCRIPTION Erected by George Mackie in loving memory of his daghter Maria who died at Conval 19/8/1891 aged 14 years. Also of his son James who died at Mill of Udny 22/11/1903 aged 40 years. Also of his beloved wife Catherine Anderson died at Mill of Littlefield, Marnoch 4/9/1911 aged 75 years. The above George Mackie died at Strichen Mills 22/11/1918 aged 78 years
Conval Crofters House- 2 windows George Mackie61CrofterTarland Catherine Mackie66Crofters WifeMortlach Mary Ann Mackie26Gen ServantMortlach Alexander F Mackie14ScholarMortlach
11.Catherine ANDERSON9,28,34 was born in 1836 in Mortlach Banff.She died Hemaplegia, 3 days, coma 2 days on 4 Sep 1911 in Marnoch - Mills of Littlefield.35Hemaplegia 3 days Coma 2 days
MACKIE - At the residence of her son - in - law, James Park, Mill of Littlefield, Marnoch on the 4th inst, Catherine Anderson, beloved wife of George Mackie, 32 Church Street Dufftown aged 75 yearsShe was a Crofter.She was buried.32George MACKIE and Catherine ANDERSON had the following children:
i. James MACKIE9 was born in 1864 in Duffus, Elgin.32,34He died on 22 Nov 1903 in Mill of Udny.
5 ii. Jane MACKIE.
iii. Margaret MACKIE34 was born about 1868 in Mortlach, Banff.
iv. Alexander MACKIE9 was born about 1870 in Mortlach Banff.
v. William MACKIE34 was born about 1870 in Mortlach, Banff.
vi. Catherine MACKIE34 was born about 1872 in Mortlach, Banff.
vii. Mary Ann MACKIE34 was born about 1874 in Mortlach, Banff.
viii. Maria MACKIE9,34 was born on 10 Jun 1877 in Mortlach Banff.32She died on 19 Aug 1891 in Conval.
16.Alexander FORSYTH was born on 28 Mar 1789 in Drainie.He was christened on 28 Mar 1789 in Drainie.He died on 24 Dec 1863 in Lossiemouth.36He was buried after 24 Dec 1863 in lossiemouth - kinnedar.37Alexander FORSYTH and Elspet or Elspit ANDERSON were married on 16 Jul 1824 in Drainie.
17.Elspet or Elspit ANDERSON was born on 24 Aug 1793 in Drainie.She was christened on 25 Aug 1793 in Drainie.She died on 27 Feb 1851 in Lossiemouth.She was buried on 27 Feb 1851 in lossiemouth - kinnedar.37Alexander FORSYTH and Elspet or Elspit ANDERSON had the following children:
i. Jane FORSYTH was born on 28 Oct 1827 in Drainie.
8 ii. Alexander FORSYTH.
iii. Helen FORSYTH was born on 4 Nov 1832 in Drainie.She died about 1836.died aged 3She was buried in 1836 in kinnedar, lossiemouth.37
iv. Elspit or Elspet FORSYTH was born on 31 May 1835 in Drainie.She died on 6 Feb 1914 in Lossiemouth - West End.She was buried in 1914 in kinnedar, lossiemouth.37
v. Janet FORSYTH was born on 27 Aug 1837 in Drainie.
18.Andrew MURRAY was born about 1802 in Rogart, Sutherland.Before Jun 1867 he was a General Labourer.He died Bronchitis (1 month) on 28 Jun 1867 in Elgin - 211 High St.38parentage differs between ann's marriage and death certificateAndrew MURRAY and Barbara ROSS were married on 16 Jun 1833 in Dornoch.
19.Barbara ROSS39-46 was born about 1811 in Dornoch.She lived in Elgin - Glover's Close in 1873.She died on 17 Dec 1893 in Elgin, Morayshire Poorhouse.47IlliterateAndrew MURRAY and Barbara ROSS had the following children:
i. Andrew MURRAY was born.
ii. Janet MURRAY was born on 18 Sep 1834 in Grangairs.
9 iii. Ann MURRAY.
iv. John MURRAY was born on 29 Dec 1837 in Golspie, Sutherland.
v. Williamina MURRAY was born about 1841.
vi. Isabella Forbes MURRAY43 was born on 4 Oct 1848 in Elgin.
20.William MACKIE33 died before 3 Mar 1859.as per george dan's willHe was a Blacksmith at Migvie, Tarland.He was born.William MACKIE and Jane (Jean) DAN were married on 1 Jun 1833 in aberlour.48
21.Jane (Jean) DAN33,49 was born about 1810 in aberlour.She died on 9 Aug 1889 in Cabrach, Bridgend.50in Elgin Courant 16 Aug 1889 p5She was buried in aberlour.grave ref AB 672Residing at Glen Conval (sp) in 1859 at time of father George Dan making willWilliam MACKIE and Jane (Jean) DAN had the following children:
10 i. George MACKIE.
ii. Maria MACKIE was born about 1846 in Tarland Aberdeenshire.29taken from 1851 censusShe died after 1851.
iii. Margaret MACKIE49 was born on 25 Jul 1837 in Tarland and Migvie.She died after 1881.
22.James ANDERSON33 was born about 1804.He died on 24 May 1885 in Mortlach - Auchindram - sp? Clunybeg.51He was a Blacksmith.
23.Margaret PIRIE33 was born about 1808.She died on 13 Dec 1875 in Mortlach -Clunybeg.52James ANDERSON and Margaret PIRIE had the following children:
11 i. Catherine ANDERSON.
ii. James ANDERSON was born in 1838.He appeared in the census in 1871.Brother in Law of George MackieHe died after 1875.reg mothers deathHe lived in 1875 - Inverurie, Blackhall.
iii. William ANDERSON9 was born about 1838.POSSIBLE SON - see 1871 census for details
iv. George ANDERSON was born in 1834 in Mortlach Banff.On scotsorigins -
32.James FORSYTH was born about 1761.He lived in Drainie - Longrigg in 1820.He died on 21 Dec 1820 in Drainie - Longrigg.He was buried on 23 Dec 1820 in Drainie - Kinneddar.53He was a Farmer.James FORSYTH and Helen (Ann?) GALT were married on 25 Mar 1785 in Drainie.
33.Helen (Ann?) GALT was born before 1770.She died before Dec 1863.James FORSYTH and Helen (Ann?) GALT had the following children:
i. Jean FORSYTH was born on 17 Feb 1786 in Drainie.She died on 29 Sep 1861 in Drainie.formerly on New Spynie Pauper when died
16 ii. Alexander FORSYTH.
iii. Ann FORSYTH was born on 25 Feb 1791 in Drainie.She died on 22 Apr 1862 in Elgin - 211 High St.daughters homeShe lived in Drainie.
iv. John FORSYTH was born on 15 May 1794 in Drainie.
v. James FORSYTH was born on 6 Sep 1796.
34.William ANDERSON died on 13 Aug 1827 in Drainie.54He was buried on 13 Aug 1827 in kinnedar, lossiemouth.oprHe lived in Covesea.William ANDERSON and Jean BARBER were married on 24 Jun 1777 in Drainie.54from Family Search submission
35.Jean BARBER was buried on 3 Mar 1794 in kinnedar, lossiemouth.from family search sunmissionShe died in Mar 1794.54from family search submissionShe lived in Causea (1794).William ANDERSON and Jean BARBER had the following children:
i. Elizabeth ANDERSON was born on 22 Oct 1780 in Duffus.
ii. William ANDERSON54 was born on 14 Jun 1783 in Drainie.He died after 1820.
iii. Isobel ANDERSON was born on 17 Mar 1789 in Drainie.
17 iv. Elspet or Elspit ANDERSON.
36.Angus MURRAY died before 1867.He was a Crofter.Angus MURRAY and Janet CAMPBELL were married.
37.Janet CAMPBELL died before 1867.Angus MURRAY and Janet CAMPBELL had the following children:
i. Erick MURRAY was born on 24 Mar 1801 in Rogart.
18 ii. Andrew MURRAY.
iii. Mary MURRAY was born on 6 Oct 1802 in Rogart.
iv. John MURRAY was born on 17 Jun 1809 in Rogart.
v. Hugh MURRAY was born on 24 Jan 1813 in Rogart.
38.William ROSS was an Army Pensioner.
39.Ann MUNRO was born.William ROSS and Ann MUNRO had the following children:
19 i. Barbara ROSS.
40.UNNAMED was born.
41.UNNAMED was born.UNNAMED and UNNAMED had the following children:
20 i. William MACKIE.
42.George DAN29,55-57 was born in May 1778 in aberlour.He was christened on 31 May 1778 in aberlour.He died on 7 Apr 1863.58He was a Farmer at Whitehouse of 51 acres in 1851.will at www.scottishdocuments.comGeorge DAN and Ann ROY were married on 1 Jul 1809 in Aberlour, Banff.
43.Ann ROY55 was born on 5 Jul 1788 in aberlour.birth on scots origins with parents detailsShe died in 1826.She was buried in aberlour.George DAN and Ann ROY had the following children:
21 i. Jane (Jean) DAN.
ii. William DAN55 was born about 1812.He died in 1839.He was buried in Lhanbryde.
iii. George DAN55 was born in 1814.He died in 1815.He was buried in aberlour.
iv. Margaret DAN was born about 1814.
v. James DAN was born in 1817.single in 1859 and living in elgin (as per father's will)
vi. George (2) DAN59 was born on 19 Sep 1819 in aberlour.poss date - taken from 1851 census - unclearHe died on 1 Jun 1877.29He was a Farmers son.living at the whitehouse in 1859 (as in father's will)
vii. Ann(e) DAN was born in 1822.She died after 1859.residing in canada in 1859 at time of father's will
viii. Alexander DAN55 was born in 1824.He died in 1837.He was buried in aberlour.
44.George ANDERSON51 died before 1885.George ANDERSON and Jane JEAN INNES/ were married on 11 Jun 1803 in Botriphnie, Banff.from FamilySearch
45.Jane JEAN INNES/51 died before 1885.George ANDERSON and Jane JEAN INNES/ had the following children:
22 i. James ANDERSON.
46.Alexander PIRIE died before 1875.
47.Catherine NAPIER died before 1875.Alexander PIRIE and Catherine NAPIER had the following children:
23 i. Margaret PIRIE.
84.Thomas DAN died before 1863.He was a Farmer.
85.Jean MCKIMIEMcKINZIE/ was born on 21 Aug 1743 in Boharm, Moray.Thomas DAN and Jean MCKIMIEMcKINZIE/ had the following children:
42 i. George DAN.
ii. Thomas DAN was born on 30 Sep 1773 in Boharm, Moray.He was christened on 30 Sep 1773 in Boharm, Moray.
86.William ROY was born.William ROY and Margaret ANDERSON were married on 6 Sep 1787 in aberlour.
87.Margaret ANDERSON60 was born on 6 Mar 1765 in aberlour.61William ROY and Margaret ANDERSON had the following children:
43 i. Ann ROY.
ii. William ROY was born on 26 Mar 1790 in aberlour.60
iii. Jannet ROY was born on 24 Apr 1791 in aberlour.60
iv. Jean ROY was born on 30 Jul 1793 in aberlour.60
v. Mary ROY was born on 27 Feb 1795 in aberlour.60
vi. James ROY was born on 19 Apr 1796 in aberlour.60
vii. John ROY was born on 10 Dec 1798 in aberlour.60
viii. William ROY was born on 5 Apr 1801 in aberlour.60
ix. Elizabeth ROY was born on 18 Jun 1808 in aberlour.60
170.James MCKIMIE was born.James MCKIMIE and Jean or Margaret MCWILLIAM were married on 8 May 1733 in Boharm, Moray.
171.Jean or Margaret MCWILLIAM was born.James MCKIMIE and Jean or Margaret MCWILLIAM had the following children:
85 i. Jean MCKIMIEMcKINZIE/.
174.James ANDERSON was born on 5 Dec 1724 in aberlour.James ANDERSON and Janet MARTIN were married on 16 Aug 1756 in aberlour.
175.Janet MARTIN was born on 12 Jul 1735 in Kirkmichael & Tomintoul BANFF.James ANDERSON and Janet MARTIN had the following children:
i. William ANDERSON was born on 17 Jul 1757 in aberlour.61
ii. Jean ANDERSON was born on 4 Mar 1759 in aberlour.61
iii. Isabel or Jean ANDERSON was born on 7 Oct 1761 in aberlour.61
87 iv. Margaret ANDERSON.
v. Elspet ANDERSON was born on 13 Jun 1767 in aberlour.61
vi. James ANDERSON was born on 26 Feb 1769 in aberlour.61
vii. Elizabeth ANDERSON was born on 3 May 1771 in aberlour.61
viii. Janet ANDERSON was born on 15 Dec 1773 in aberlour.61
348.William ANDERSON was born.William ANDERSON had the following children:
174 i. James ANDERSON.
350.Alexander MARTIN was born.
351.Ann GRANT was born.Alexander MARTIN and Ann GRANT had the following children:
175 i. Janet MARTIN.
1. James Forsyth / Jane Mackie, 1891 UK Census, Moray. Drainie, Coulardbank Farm Buildings, No 10 on schedule; Scotlands People Online.
2. James Forsyth/Jane Mackie, 1901 UK Census, Moray, Drainie, Coulardbank, Shepherd's Home,;.
3. James Forsyth, 1881UK Census, Moray, Drainie, Smithfield, ID1087622 HR70246;.
4. Census1871 Census Forsyths, Drainie, Drainie, 1871, printout.
5. James Forsyth, birth certificate no. (1860),, Burghead.
6. James Forsyth, death certificate no. (1933),, Drainie.
7. Forsyth tombstone, Lossiemouth, ();.
8. James Forsyth, Jane Mackie, marriage license no. (1888),, Mortlach.
9. Mackie / Anderson, 1871 UK Census, Dufftown, Mortlach,;.
10. Jane Mackie, birth certificate no. (1865),, Mortlach, Banff.
11. , Morayshire Roll of Honour (:,).
12. Alexander Forsyth, birth certificate no. (1888),, Drainie.
13. , Morayshire Roll of Honour (:,).
14. William Forsyth, birth certificate no. (1893),,.
15. William Forsyth, death certificate no. (1920),, Elgin, Moray.
16. , Morayshire Roll of Honour (:,).
17. Death Certificate1938 death George Forsyth, Farmer, 3 may 1938, Drainie.
18. Margaret Ann Forsyth, birth certificate no. (1905),, Drainie.
19. Newspaper, Elgin, 12 Sept 1930Murder verdict - Lennox Forsyth 1930 (Elgin Courant).
20. Murder after Dance article, Northern Scot, Elgin, 1930,.
21. Alexander Forsyth, 1881 UK Census, Drainie,;.
22. Alexander Forsyth, 1891 UK Census, Lossiemouth,;.
23. Alexander Forsyth, 1901 UK Census, Drainie,;.
24. Alexander Forsyth, death certificate no. (1906),, Drainie.
25. Alexander Forsyth / Ann Murray, marriage license no. (1859),, Duffas.
26. Ann Forsyth (Murray), 1861 UK Census, Duffus, Burghead,;.
27. Ann Forsyth (Murray), death certificate no. (1863),, Duffus.
28. George Mackie / Catherine Anderson, 1901 UK Census, Conval Guest House, Mortlach,;.
29. Dan / Mackie, 1851 UK Census, Aberlour - Whitehouse, No 12 on schedule; transcribed from microfilm in Elgin Library.
30. Census1881 Census George Mackie aged 41Shepherd, Bellie, Auchenreath, 1881.
31. George Mackie, birth certificate no. (1840),, Aberdee, Tarland and Migvie.
32. Mackie / Anderson tombstone, Mortlach, ();.
33. George Mackie / Catherine Anderson marriage, 21 June 1862, Clunbeg, Mortlach,.
34. Census1881 Census Katherine Mackie/ Anderson, Mortlach - Glen of Conval, 1881.
35. Catherine Mackie nee Anderson, death certificate no. (1911),, Marnoch, County of Banff.
36. Alexander Forsyth, death certificate no. (1864),, Drainie.
37. Forsyth tombstone, Kinnedar Cemetery, Lossiemouth ();.
38. Andrew Murray, death certificate no. (1867),, Elgin.
39. Census1891 census Barbara Murray, Moray Poorhouse, Elgin, New Spynie, 1891.
40. Poor Relief Register Elgin 1873.
41. Poor Relief Register Elgin 1878 Barbara Ross.
42. Poor Relief Register Elgin 1879 Dec Barbara Ross.
43. Poor Relief Register Elgin 1879 Oct Barbara Ross.
44. Poor Relief Register Elgin 1880 Barbara Ross.
45. Poor Relief Register Elgin 1882 Jan Barbara Ross.
46. Poor Relief Register Elgin 1882 Dec Barbara Ross.
47. Death Certificate1893 death Barbara Murray(Ross) Poor House Elgin, 17 Dec 1893, Elgin, New Spynie.
48. Mackie / Dan(Daun) marriage, 1 June 1833, Aberlour, Banff, Aberlour. Held by ().
49. Jean Mackie, 1881 UK Census, Cabrach,;.
50. Death Certificate1889 Death Jane Mackie (Dan), 9 August 1889, Parish of Cabrach, Banffshire, Printout.
51. Death Certificate1885 death James Anderson Mortlach, 24 May 1885, Mortlach.
52. Death Certificate1875 death Margaret Anderson /Pirie, 13 Dec 1875, Mortlach.
53. James Forsyth tombstone, Kinneddar Churchyard, Drainie (); Monumental Publications - Kinneddar Church Yard.
54. Anderson . Mann Link; from personal knowledge of Craig Fulton (email CRF8@aol.com),; provided.
55. Dan / Roy / Innes tombstone, Aberlour, Moray, Aberlour ();.
56. George Dan will (1863),,, Aberlour, Banff.
57. Dauns/ Dans ; from personal knowledge of Susan Settle (email@example.com),; provided 13 April 1998.
58. Death Certificate1863 Death George Dan, Farmer, 7 Apr 1863, Aberlour - Whitehouse.
59. Dan / Daun tombstone, Aberlour, Moray, Aberlour ();.
60. Printout of Children of William Roy/ Margaret Anderson, Searched 1768-1808 County of Banff.
61. Births James Anderson and Janet Martin btw 1756-1786, between 1756-86 in Banff.