Dear Ms. Charnholm,
I have taken the following information from a website of a most proabable cousin from Indiana named Patricia. While some of the information comes from mine and my sisters research, I hope it helps you.
After receiving a message from Fred researcher, and probable cousin, Kim (Fred) Richardson at email@example.com I have been reading over my old mail and believe that I must add Jacob Fred to my list as a probable descendant of John Fred. It is possible that Jacob is a son of John's, or, he could be a son of James, John's apparent older son. James was born ca 1780 in Kentucky, Jacob, 1802. However, Alfred, who I show as John's youngest son, was born ca 1808, so the same could be said of him. I have been very wrong in ignoring Jacob! I think I did so simply because he did not come into Indiana with the rest of the family. But we don't know that James came in at the same time either since we have no record of a first marriage for him. I want to apologize to Jacob's descendants and ask them to forgive me for wearing blinders. Please furnish us with a link to your web site, or let us carry your email address.
THE FRED FAMILIES OF KENTUCKY
In attempting to discover the roots of the Fread family, we have found probably six brothers. James, William, Samuel, John, Jacob and Alfred. All six men were born all in Kentucky between 1780 and 1806. Four of them moved to Franklin County, Indiana around the same time. Five had sons named James; all six had sons named William: Five of them had sons named John, Samuel lost his oldest son who might have been his John. William and James had sons named Henry: Samuel and Alfred had sons named William Henry. Obviously, this is not proof of a relationship, but the information may possibly give another researcher a clue.
Throughout the centuries, the name has been found spelled FRED, FREDD, FFRED, FREAD, FRID and FRAD. The only Fred we found in Kentucky at the proper time was John Fred.
The Kentucky Tax Lists show:
1787, John FRED, Fayette Co. enumerated with William Stafford. (0 poll, too young or too old?)
1792, John FRAD, Nelson Co. The actual date on this census was Nov. 29, 1792.
1795, John FRED, Clark Co. delinquent tax list
1795, John FRED, Madison Co.
1800, John Fred Montgomery Co.
It has been theorized that John may have married a daughter of William Stafford and that was why he was living with him in 1787. No marriage license, will or probate records have been located in either Kentucky or Indiana to prove this, although Staffords moved into Franklin Co. at approximately the same time as the Freds. It is more probable that John was a farmhand, employed by Stafford.
The family of William Fread has been covered in the book by Lois DOTSON, "The FREAD's And The ROCKEFELLER'S". This book can be found in some libraries or the LDS library. I have a copy and if you want information, I'll be happy to look up a name for you.
Mrs. Dotson, in her book, The FREADS and The ROCKEFELLERS has posed the assumption that the emigrant ancestor was Hans Gerg FREDRICKS who arrived in 1737 at Philadelphia in the ship Virtuous Grace. This theory has now been rejected since finding the obituary of Sarah (Spradling) Fread where it states "she was the last of the old English-American settlers in Highland Township, except for her husband Samuel Fread, ---". Franklin County, Indiana had a large German population, it would have been very strange to call a second or third generation German-American an 'old English-American'.
In checking further back, the only Fred family that we can find that might be called "English-American" is the family of John and Catherine (Starkey) Fred who arrived in Pennsylvania from Ireland about 1713. John and Catherine were married in Ireland in 1685 and their children were grown by the time they all arrived. The Fred name is definitely Germanic, and the time that they were married is just at the beginning of the Palatine era, so it is probable that he or his parents left Germany for religious reasons. We do know that John and Catherine were Quakers and he and his family finally left Ireland because of religious reasons.
One of John and Catherine's grandsons, Joseph moved to Loudoun Co., Virginia about 1769. It may be one of his descendants that moved on west, but we haven't been able to find any information.
Assuming a twenty-five year period before his first son was born, John would have been born about 1755. We find two John Freds in Pennsylvania at the proper time, A John Fred married Ann Davis in Sep 1772 at a Quaker Meeting house in Wilmington, New Castle, Delaware, and a John Fred, son of Nicholas, and grandson of John and Catherine, married Susannah Hope and had sons Abraham, John Jr. and Henry. (I have no source on this) Either one of these men could be our John, although on the 1880 census, Samuel's parents are both shown as born in Ky.
1. JOHN1 FRED was born Abt. 1755, and died Bef. 1820 in IN.
Presumed children of JOHN FRED are:
2. i. JAMES2 FRED, b. 1780, Kentucky; d. September 02, 1865, Jefferson Co., IL.
3. ii. JOHN FRAD, b. Abt. 1787, Kentucky; d. September 07, 1861, , Brown, Indiana.
4. iii. WILLIAM FRED, b. March 07, 1789, Kentucky; d. October 03, 1853, , La Salle, IL.
5. iv. SAMUEL FRED, b. Abt. 1797, Kentucky; d. February 09, 1891, Highland Twsp., Franklin Co., Indiana.
6. v. JACOB FRED, b. March 28, 1805, KY; d. 1879, Blanco, Texas.
7. vi. ALFRED FRED, b. September 10, 1808, Kentucky; d. January 09, 1869, Sullivan, Moultrie Co, Il.
Generation No. 2
2. JAMES2 FRED (JOHN1) was born 1780 in Kentucky, and died September 02, 1865 in Jefferson Co., IL. He married REBECCA BIGGS 1830 in , Vermillion, Il. She was born Abt. 1812 in Ohio, and died Unknown.
Children of JAMES FRED and REBECCA BIGGS are:
8. i. JAMES W.3 FRED, b. March 1836, Coles, Il; d. July 30, 1927.
9. ii. ALFRED FRED, b. 1838; d. 1901.
iii. SARAH FRED, b. Abt. 1839, Il; d. Unknown.
10. iv. WILLIAM HENRY FRED, b. Abt. 1841, Il; d. Unknown.
v. JANE FRED, b. Abt. 1842, Jefferson, Il; d. Unknown.
vi. RACHEL ELLEN FRED, b. Abt. 1843; d. Unknown; m. LEVI NEWELL, July 28, 1864, Jefferson Co., IL; d. Unknown.
vii. CHARLOTTE FRED, b. March 04, 1844, Coles Co., Il; d. February 23, 1916, Waltonville, Jeff. Co., IL; m. WILLIAM HALL; b. 1842, Coles Co., Il; d. Unknown.
viii. JOHN FRED, b. Abt. 1845, Il; d. Unknown.
ix. FREEMAN FRED, b. Abt. 1848, Il; d. Unknown; m. SARAH CRISMAN, April 28, 1872, Jefferson, IL (Source: Illinois State Archives, Bk 3, lic # 78.); d. Unknown.
3. JOHN2 FRAD (JOHN1 FRED) was born Abt. 1787 in Kentucky, and died September 07, 1861 in , Brown, Indiana. He married LYDIA GUTHERY April 26, 1812 in Franklin Co, In (as Fred) (Source: Indiana Marriages Through 1850 Indiana State Library, Genealogy Div..), daughter of ARCHIBALD GUTHRIE. She was born Abt. 1796 in Pennsylvania, and died 1878 in Johnson Co., Indiana.
Children of JOHN FRAD and LYDIA GUTHERY are:
11. i. JAMES B.3 FRAD, b. 1815, Indiana; d. March 07, 1909.
12. ii. ARCHIBALD GUTHRIE FRAD, b. March 13, 1820, Indiana; d. March 07, 1909, Franklin, IN.
13. iii. JOHN FRAD, JR, b. March 06, 1823, Indiana; d. Unknown.
14. iv. STEPHEN FRAD, b. Abt. 1825, Indiana; d. Unknown, Oregon ?.
15. v. JOSEPH FRAD, b. Abt. 1827, In; d. January 14, 1895, Luca, Iowa.
vi. ELIZABETH FRED, b. Abt. 1830, In; d. Unknown; m. JAMES MCINTIRE, Abt. 1897; d. Unknown.
vii. CYNTHIA ANN FRED, b. Abt. 1833, In; d. Unknown; m. JESSE GRIGSBY, April 13, 1854, , Brown, Indiana (Source: Indiana Marriages Through 1850 Indiana State Library, Genealogy Div..); d. Unknown.
viii. MARY FRED, b. Abt. 1836, IN; d. Unknown; m. JAMES ADAMS, Abt. 1865; b. Abt. 1836; d. Unknown.
16. ix. WILLIAM FRED, b. July 1838, Barth Co, In; d. May 26, 1906, Franklin Co, IN.
17. x. OLIVE ANN FRED, b. Abt. 1840, IN.; d. Unknown.
4. WILLIAM2 FRED (JOHN1) was born March 07, 1789 in Kentucky, and died October 03, 1853 in , La Salle, IL. He married ABBIGAIL ROCKEFELLER October 30, 1810 in Dearborn, Indiana (Source: (1) Indiana Marriages Through 1850 Indiana State Library, Genealogy Div. (2) The Fred and Rockefeller Families, by Mrs. C. T. Dodson 1969), daughter of SAMUEL ROCKEFELLER and MARY ALLEN. She was born August 07, 1791 in New Jersey, and died March 21, 1870 in LaSalle, La Salle, Illinois.
Children of WILLIAM FRED and ABBIGAIL ROCKEFELLER are:
18. i. JOHN3 FRED, b. August 12, 1811, Franklin, Ind; d. 1852, Tx.
ii. SAMUEL FRED, b. June 30, 1813, Franklin, Ind; d. Bef. 1840, Franklin Co, Ind.
iii. HENRY FRED, b. February 09, 1815, Franklin, Indiana; d. Bef. 1840, Franklin Co, Ind.
19. iv. WILLIAM FRED, JR., b. March 07, 1816, Franklin, Indiana; d. April 02, 1901, LaSalle, Il.
20. v. JAMES R. FRED, b. November 02, 1818, Franklin, Indiana; d. June 23, 1886, Livingston, Il.
21. vi. ABSOLOM FRED, b. May 09, 1823, Franklin, Indiana; d. June 03, 1891, LaSalle Co., IL.
vii. MARY ANN FRED, b. October 04, 1825, Franklin, Indiana; d. Unknown; m. FLETCHER GORSLINE, November 25, 1843, Franklin Co, IN (Source: Indiana Marriages Through 1850 Indiana State Library, Genealogy Div..); d. Unknown.
viii. SARAH FRED, b. December 13, 1827, Franklin Co, Indiana; d. Bet. 1900 - 1910; m. JOHN BEAL, 1855, LaSalle Co., IL; d. Unknown.
22. ix. DELILA FRED, b. April 10, 1831, Franklin Co, Ind; d. November 08, 1907, Fairbury, Jefferson, Ne.
23. x. ISAAC FRED, b. July 06, 1833, Franklin, Indiana; d. Unknown.
5. SAMUEL2 FRED (JOHN1) was born Abt. 1797 in Kentucky (Source: 1850 thru 1890 census & tombstone), and died February 09, 1891 in Highland Twsp., Franklin Co., Indiana (Source: will and Obit. (Brookville, IN.) Franklin Democrat, Mar 26, 1891, p 5, col 2). He married SARAH SPRADLING November 13, 1826 in Brookville, Franklin Co., Ind (Source: Fran. Co. Marr Book 3, p 82), daughter of JOHN SPRADLING and ELIZABETH CHAPMAN. She was born 1808 in , Wilkes, NC (Source: 1850 /1890 census), and died October 05, 1889 in Highland Twsp., Franklin Co., Indiana (Source: Brookville (Ind.) Franklin Democratt Oct 17, 1889).
Children of SAMUEL FRED and SARAH SPRADLING are:
i. UNKNOWN3 FRED, b. Bet. 1827 - 1829, Franklin Co, IN (Source: 1840 Fed'l Census, Fran Co., IN.); d. Bef. 1840, Franklin Co, IN.
24. ii. GEORGE WATSON FRED, b. Abt. 1829, Highland Twsp, Franklin Co., Indiana; d. Bef. May 13, 1884, Highland twp, Franklin, Indiana.
25. iii. JAMES SPRADLING FRED, b. Abt. 1831, Franklin Co., Indiana; d. March 06, 1862, Smithland, Livingston, Kentucky.
26. iv. THOMAS JUSTIS W. FRED, b. October 18, 1835, Highland Twsp, Franklin Co., Indiana; d. March 26, 1902, Highland Twp., Franklin Co., Indiana.
27. v. MARY ANN FRED, b. February 13, 1836, Highland Twsp, Franklin Co., Indiana; d. October 13, 1882, Franklin Co, IN.
vi. SARAH ELIZABETH FRED, b. September 01, 1839, Highland Twsp, Franklin Co, Indiana; d. January 07, 1858, Franklin, Ind.
28. vii. WILLIAM A. HARRY FRED, b. November 08, 1841, Highland Twsp, Franklin Co, Indiana; d. April 08, 1874, , Franklin, In.
29. viii. REBECCA JANE FRED, b. December 18, 1844, Highland Twsp, Franklin Co, Indiana; d. 1928, Highland Twsp, Franklin Co., Indiana.
30. ix. ENOCH FRANKLIN FRED, b. Abt. 1847, Highland twp, Franklin, Indiana; d. Unknown.
6. JACOB2 FRED (JOHN1) was born March 28, 1805 in KY, and died 1879 in Blanco, Texas. He married (1) PATSEY LUSTER August 08, 1822 in Mercer, Kentucky. She died Unknown. He married (2) CHARLOTTE JANE MASON September 30, 1832 in Madison Co., IL (Source: Illinois Marriages online, Bk 6, p 24 Lic #0943.). She died Unknown.
Children of JACOB FRED and CHARLOTTE MASON are:
i. GEORGE WASHINGTON3 FRED, d. Unknown.
ii. WILLIAM LAWRENCE FRED, d. Unknown.
iii. SARAH JANE FRED, d. Unknown.
iv. JACOB ALFRED FRED, d. Unknown.
v. JOHN F. FRED, d. Unknown.
vi. SUSAN FRED, d. Unknown.
31. vii. J. LOUIS FRED, b. May 31, 1834, Madison Co., IL (?); d. May 13, 1916, Concho Co., Texas.
7. ALFRED2 FRED (JOHN1) was born September 10, 1808 in Kentucky (Source: LeRoy Eaton 7549 N. 38th St Terre Haute, IN 47805-1131.), and died January 09, 1869 in Sullivan, Moultrie Co, Il (Source: LeRoy Eaton). He married RUTH ANNE TURNER December 23, 1832 (Source: LeRoy Eaton), daughter of FERDINAND TURNER and HANNAH HARRIS. She was born October 02, 1816 in IN (Source: LeRoy Eaton), and died April 01, 1885 in Moultrie Co, Il (Source: LeRoy Eaton).
Children of ALFRED FRED and RUTH TURNER are:
i. JOHN WESLEY3 FREAD, d. Unknown.
ii. RUTH ANN FREAD, b. 1834 (Source: 1850 Fed'l Census, Fran Co., IN.); d. Unknown.
32. iii. WILLIAM HENRY FREAD, b. January 31, 1837, Franklin, In; d. July 16, 1902, Moultrie Co, Il.
iv. CALASTA A. FREAD, b. 1839, Franklin Co, In; d. Unknown; m. DAVID J. LINDSEY, November 25, 1866, , Moultrie, IL; d. Unknown.
v. CHRISTIAN FREAD, b. Abt. 1841; d. Unknown.
vi. JAMES R. FREAD, b. October 30, 1843, Franklin, In; d. March 08, 1866, Moultrie Co, Il.
vii. GEORGE FREAD, b. 1845, Whitewater, Franklin, In; d. Unknown.
viii. EZRA FRED, b. 1847, Franklin Co., IN; d. Unknown; m. (1) SARAH BROOKE; d. Unknown; m. (2) NANCY FORNEY; b. Abt. 1865; d. Unknown.
ix. ALICE JANE FREAD, b. 1851, Franklin Co., IN; d. Unknown; m. IRVIN BROOKE, December 24, 1871, Moultrie Co., IL; d. Unknown.
33. x. NELSON H. FREAD, b. 1853, Franklin Co., IN; d. September 01, 1886, Moultrie Co, Il.
xi. JOSEPHINE A. FREAD, b. 1855, Franklin Co., IN; d. Unknown.
xii. ARTHUR JOHN FREAD, b. 1858, Moultrie Co., IL; d. 1920, Moultrie Co, Il; m. MARY H.; b. August 29, 1861; d. June 02, 1884, Moultrie Co., IL.