Israel James Friend (Jacob Friend, Israel Friend, Andrew (Anders) Friend, Nils Larsson Frände). Israel James Friend was born January 17, 1783 in Rockingham County, Virginia, and died April 19, 1856 in Braxton County, West Virginia. He married ELIZABETH ELIZA EVA HAMMER October 20,1811 in Pendleton County, Virginia. Israel James Friend occupation is listed in the census as a Farmer. He died April 19, 1856. Elizabeth was not listed in the 1850 Braxton County Census records so she may have died by then. Recorded on March 14, 1853 a Land Deed by the State of Virginia, Braxton County. This deed made this 14th. day of March 1853, between George W. Friend, Jacob L. Friend, Sampson Friend, of the county of Braxton State of Virginia. The said parties are the joint owners of a tract of land situated on the south side of Elk River in Braxton County conveyed to them by Israel Friend, their father by now bearing date on the 24th. day of April 1845 which tract is described on said tract is found to containing 500 acres and which same tract of land upon which the said parties now reside but by actual survey made on March 8, 1853 by M. Dyer surveyor of Braxton County. The said tract is found to contain 290 acres, which said tract of land the said parties hereby agree to divide between themselves as follows. The said Jacob L. Friend, 109 acres, Sampson Friend 89 acres and George W. Friend 92 acres. Gassaway, Braxton County, West Virginia celebrated its 100th birthday July 3, 2005. Before 1900 it was just woods and a pasture field for the Boggs family at the upper end and the Friend family at the Southern end. His brother Andrew P. Friend lived in a small house near the Otter salt works near the Elk river not far from where Israel lived. From 1905 to 1950s it was a busy little railroad town, location of the B&O repair shops.
Children of Israel Friend and ELIZABETH HAMMER:
1. Jacob Lawrence Friend Born March 21, 1817 Died June 5, 1899. Married Phoebe Gibson November 19, 1840 in Braxton County, West Virginia (Virginia).
2. Catherine Friend Born 1820 Died 1843. Married Council H. Rogers September 17, 1842 in Braxton Co. VA.
3. George Washington Friend Born 1820. Married Mary Brock December 14, 1848. Died sometime after the 1880 census. He was listed as a widower on the 1880 census.
4. Sampson Friend Born December 31, 1826. Died September 17, 1880. Married Temperence Gibson Bond April 15, 1850. Died of fever at 53 years.
5. John Friend Born 1832.
6. Martha Friend Born 1835. According to Braxton County marriage records she was 22 when she married John W. Buchannon February 27, 1857.