OK Here we go.
My gt gt grandfather, James Mullins married Araminta Jane Evans.James was born March 1824 in Carter Co., Ky, the son of Pleasant and Martha (Fultz) Mullins.
I read his Civil War pension and at first glance I took him as beening in Company M.And then I read the papers again and found that the U.S. Army listed him as Mulatto.
Okey Mom, what's going on. Let's dig out the old photos and check this out.
No Jr.Lee, giggle, giggle, he's Indain, as I have told you since you were little, as my aunts and uncles all told me.
Picture after picture of James Wesley Mullins (James' third child), my mother's grandfather was Indian.
Obediah and Martha (Blankenship) Fultz
Pleasant and Martha (Fultz) Mullins
James and Araminta (Evans) Mullins
Rev. James Wesley and Martha Susan (Stephens) Mullins
Benjamin Franklin and Bertha Lou (Mullins)Conley
Frank and Bertha are my mother's parents.
1. James Mullins did not have the middle name of Wesley.Martha named her son after her husband James and her brother Wesley.
2. James was Indian.When I took a picture of James Wesley, blew it up and gave it to my wife, she asked "Who was the Indian?"She ought to know, she is half White Mountain Apache and Irish. (Yes, I know she has a bit of a temper.)
3. Mary Mullins who married Joseph Fannin was James' younger sister by six years, not the oldest of seven children.
4. James, Larkin, Squire, Mary, Elias, Lucinda all had large families.Not the two or three each I keep seeing in all the reports.
5. Joseph Blankenship was still living when his daughter Martha was married.
6. Before Obediah moved his family to Carter Co., Ky., the family must have been poor country folk because there is hardly any business dealings any where to be found in Russell Co., Va. or Carter Co.
Now it gets interesting.
Joseph Chesterfield Blankenship was married to Sarah ----, then to Elizabeth ----, then to Phoebe Summerfield, daughter of Chief Summerfield, a Blackfoot Cherokee.I ain't never heard of Blackfoot Cherokee.Joseph's middle name was not Chesterfield, that I could find.
Obediah Fultz was given a birth date in 1765 and his wife was Martha C. Blankenship.Where was the birth date found for Obediah and where did the middle initial C. come from for Martha.Did Martha have any confirmed brothers and sisters.
One report is Obediah was the son of Obediah from somewhere in Europe and fought in the Rev. War.Another report is Obediah is the son of Adam who is the son of Matthew.Yet a third report says Obediah who married Martha is the European who fought in the war.Take your pick or add something new.
Fact:Three children are proved.Obediah, John (who married Nancy Newby) and Milly (who married Solomon Newby)Solomon and Nancy were the children of John Newby.
Obediah and Martha had grandchildren in Morgan Co., Lawrence Co., and Boyd Co., KY.There was also another set of Fultz in each of the three counties, not related to Obediah (that I have proved) and not related to each other.Why is it that 10 years ago the only Fultz (Fults, Folks, Folts, etc) to be found is descended from Obediah and now you yell up any hollow and you find one.
Sarah Fultz, b. VA, married Andrew Jackson Woods and raised a family in Lawrence Co, KY.John Fultz married Jenny Day in 1822, Floyd Co., KY and stated that he was from Lawrence Co., KY.Is this the brother to Gabriel Fultz in Clay Co., KY, the son of John Fultz who died about 1809 in Knott Co., KY and or the John Fultz living in the lower part of Russell Co., VA at the same time Obediah Fultz was living in the upper half of same county.Are they related to the Fultz in Lawrence Co., OH who had some kin in Boyd Co., KY.What about the James Fultz with wife Nancy and son Calvin living in 1850 Morgan Co., KY and possibly related to Sarah of Lawrence Co., KY.