Gary's Church Location - 8 miles south of Petersburg, Virginia, on Route #301; thence west on Route #607; thence .5 mile; thence about 10 feet south of Route $607.
Does anyone recognize which James Gary this is?From what line of Gary's he descends?Is he the brother to or nephew of William Gary of Prince George, VA who lived 1665 to 1716?William's line became Baptist ministers in Newberry, SC.Is this family kin in some way to the Newberry line?Thanks, Kathy
Date - 1806 Owners:In 1806, James Gary devised by will three acrtes of land to the trustees of Gary's Church. Discription:The first Gary's Church was a small one room auditorium which was destroyed during the War between the States.It was rebuilt several years later and has been remodeled and enlarged from time to time.This Church now contains a large auditorium and six class rooms.At the front is a small vestibule and steeple.On the grounds is a spring of fresh clear water, which has never been known to go dry. Historical Significance:A camp meeting, by Jesse Lee in 1787, at "Jones Hole" was the beginning of Gray's Church.Meetings were held in an old barn near the site where the present church now stands until 1806. In the year of 1806 James Gary devised by Will three acres of land, including a spring, to the trustees of Gary's Church.It was then that a small one room auditorium was built.For many years this was the only Methodist Church in the vicinity.The membership of this church consists of such outstanding familes as Alleys, Rossers, Wicks and Garys.
The building was destroyed during the War between the States, at which time the Federal Army tore it down and used the lumber to help build winter quarters at what is now New Bohemia.Immediately after the WAr, the members continued services under a bush arbor until they were able to rebuild the Church.The present Church was built about 1867.