My gggf, Russell GEORGE, of Calhoun Co, AL, served in Co F, 9th AL Battalion, Co F, 18th AL Regiment and Co F, 58th AL Regiment. I am looking for any connection on him or his origin. See my original message in http://genforum.genealogy.com/george/http://genforum.genealogy.com/george/ entitled Alabama Family Puzzles . Below is information that may be of help to other researchers interested in these or the 1st, 22nd, 25th, 30th, or 41st Alabama Regiments:
1. Copy of Hand-written Muster Roll of Capt. S. D. McClellen's Co (F), 9th Alabama Battalion found in the Alabama Archives:
S. D. McClellen Capt.
Jno. F. McClellen 1st Lt
W. H. Raider 2nd Lt
Jno. C. Anderson 2nd Lt
Wm. W. Gore 1st Serg't
S. F. Smith 2nd Serg't
William Mclellen 3rd Sertg't
W. S. Homesley 4th Serg't
E. M. Smith 5th Serg't
A. T. (or F.) Whisenant 1st Corp'l
S. R. Brown 2nd Corp'l
J. W. Morrison 3rd Corp'l
B. Grogan 4th Corp'l
Andrews, D. F. Private
Beal, J. S. " (Joseph S. Beale) Enlisted 2-11-1862
Bush, R. P. " by Capt. McClellan)
Brides, J. F. "
George, R. " (my ancestor)
Johnson, J. B. "
Kirby, J. T. "
Kirby, J. W. "
Melton, E. B. "
Moore, J. M. "
O'Neal, W. "
Petit, A. R. "
Phillips, R. C. "
Reed, C. P. "
Schenk, F. R. "
Smith, J. H. "
Smith, N. "
Stince, T. F. "
Weatherby, T. C."
Williams, D. T. C. "
Williams, J. W. A. "
Yancy, C. R. "
(I have tried to transcribe this accurately, but some of the names and initials are very hard to read)
This Company apparently becomes Company F, 18th Alabama Infantry, and later Company F, 58th Alabama Regiment. Capt. McClellen and Lt. Raider show up on the 18th Alabama Roster and on the 58th Alabama Roster, in the same Company. At least, R. George (Russell George, b. ca 1833 SC, d. Ringgold, GA October 23, 1863) who enlisted February 11, 1862 in Calhoun Co. by Capt. McClellen at the same time as C. R. , R. C. Phillips, and A. B. Pettit (probably same as A. R.)are in these units. There are probably many others that appear in these later units that I have not yet verified.
2. James C. Autwell died of disease contracted in Civil War. He served as a Private in Co F, 58th AL and his widow drew a pension in Cherokee Co. She was Mary J. Moses and they married in Calhoun Co, AL July 31, 1850. She is buried in Piney Cemetary, Cherokee Co, AL
3. George Alexander Brittain (Britain) married Lucinda E. Lipscomb November 16, 1841 in Benton (now Calhoun Co), AL. He was born July 31, 1825 in Lincoln Co, TN and she was born May 15, 1827 in Spartanburg District, SC. He served in Co E, 1st AL Regular Infantry and in Capt. F. D. Shelly's Company in the Mexican War. He also served in Co H, 22nd Alabama Regiment.
4. J. M. Moore, Co F 9th AL and Co F 58th died May 22 1898 and is buried in Shady Glen Cemetary, Calhoun Co, AL.
The below items #5-#7 were in the Jacksonville Alabama Republican between March 19, 1863:
5. Sergeant James Wood, Co I, 25th AL died January 28, 1863 at Bell Hospital, Rome, GA at about 21 years of age. Born in Fairfield Dist., SC he came to Calhoun Co, AL with his father William Wood.
6. James B. Moore, Co B, 30th AL, died of small pox near Vicksburg, MS January 30, 1863 at Quarentine Camp.
7. H. J. Page, Co B, 30th AL, died of diarhea at Quarentine Camp near Vicksburg, MS January 31, 1863.
8. Calvin C. Turner, Company B, 30th AL, died of small pox at Quarentine Camp near Vicksburg, MS February 3, 1863.
9. William H. Gennings, Company B, 30th AL, died of small pox at Quarentine Camp near Vicksburg, MS February 7, 1863.
10. John Willingham, Company B, 30th AL, died February 9, 1863 near Vicksburg, MS of small pox. He was the third son in his family to die in the war.
11. Thomas J. Proer, Company B, 30th AL, died February 24, 1863 at Quarentine Camp near Vicksburg, MS.
12. I have a good photo of Russell holding a rifle.
W. Peyton George
Santa Fe, NM