Sir Wm Grierson, 9th Lord of Lag Castle, Dumfries, Scot. Got sasine 11 May 1597 of Larglanley, 16 May 1609 of Windiehill, and 26 June 1616 of Capenoch.
Appointed as Commissioner to Parliament representing Dumfriesshire 1617-1625, was shot and killed in 1629. From which time (some of) the family (may have) called themselves Grier or Greer instead of Grierson.(?)
Sir William Grierson m. 9 May 1593 in Dumfrieshire, Scotland to Nichola MAXWELL and had children :
1. Helena Grierson, b. prior 1597 in Lag, Dumfriesshire. 2. Sir Robert Grierson, b. prior 1598 in Dumfrieshire, ...d. prior 21 Feb 1654 in Scotland. ...He was M.P. for Dumfriesshire 1628-48 when his ...brother, Lancelot Grierson put William Houston ...in gaol at Blackness Castle, possibly for refusal ...or inability to pay unreasonable taxes.
3. Sara Grierson b.prior 1598 in Lag, Dumfriesshire, ....m. 1621 William Ferguson of Craigdarrach.
4. Alexander Grierson b.prior 1599 in Lag, Dumfriesshire, ....d. 1655 in Scotland. Resided at Barnbachill. ....12 May 1629: [LagCh#209] wit. sasine of ....Sir Robert Greirsoun, his brother.
5. Agnes Grierson b.prior 1599 in Lag, Dumfriesshire, Scotland. She died on 3 Jan 1664.
6. William Grierson b.prior 1600 in Lag, Dumfriesshire.
7. John Grierson b.prior 1601 in Lag, Dumfriesshire, ...resided Capenoch, Dumfries,
8.Sir James Grier.
9. Lancelot Grierson b. after 1604 in Lag, Dumfriesshire, ...6 August 1630, Lag Charter #214 : ...Lancelot Greirsone sasine of Dalskairth. ...1635 he put William Houstoun / Howstoune of Whithorn, ... Wigtownshire, Scotland, ...in gaol in Blackness Castle.
10. Isabel Grierson m.1629 Edward MAXWELL of Lagan. (Lagan / Laggan in Ireland or in Scotland ?) ....A Mr. Maxwell was executor of will of Wm Houston ....of Pennsylvania c.1707. .............................. Would you know when William Houstoun, (who had descendant, Wm Houstoun, M.P. for Pennsylvania late 1600s), was released from the ward of Blackness Castle ?Thankyou.