***Note:Besides the Welsh Genealogist, Thomas Allen Glenn, many people have been working on the Griffith lines for many, many years.If they have put anything on the "air" I show if I used it and where they got their sources, many of which duplicate mine.I have also tried to put in their e-mail address so that you will have access to the person who gave the data.
I still have many names to add and there are many I deleted because of their age.ENJOY!
The Foster C. Griffith Report
In the late 1800's, a prominent Trenton, NJ businessman, Foster C. Griffith, commissioned Welsh
Genealogist Thomas Allen Glenn to compile a pedigree of three brothers: William GRIFFITH, John
GRIFFITH, and Griffith GRIFFITH.Sons of Griffith JOHN of the Parish of Llanddewi Brefi, in the
County of Cardigan, South Wales, Great Britain, the brothers emigrated to the United States in
1717, settling in Chester Co., Pennsylvania.A lengthy and, according to Glenn thorough, investiga-
tion was undertaken and resulted in the private publication of a book simply entitled "The Pedigree".
Most of the information about the GRIFFITH family cited prior to the American Revolutionary War
is excerpted from Glenn's work.
In the Preface to his book, Glenn provides the following overview of Welsh history:
The Welsh emigration to Pennsylvania commenced in 1681-82, the first arrivals coming principally
from North Wales, and constituted one of the most progressive as well as one of the most prosperous
elements on that Province.A number of these settlers, especially the earlier arrivals, princially
membersof the Society of Friends, were careful to record the circumstances connected with their
removal, and also their ancestry for several generations, and few there were among them who left no
account or tradition of their Cymric forefathers or of the locality from whence they came.
An emigration to Pennsylvania of Welsh Baptists began about the close of the Seventeenth Century
and continued for over a generation, amounting, probably, to a score of families per annum.Of
these, the Congregation known in Pennsylvania as the "Seventh Day Baptists", was an offshoot of
the Tredyffrin or Great Valley Baptist Church in the County of Chester, and the members of these
congregations were almost entirely from the Counties of Carmarthen, Pembroke, Radnor, and
Cardigan, but largely from the latter.The Records of the Great Valley Church contain a number of
original "Letters of Removal" given by the Rhydwyllim Chapel, which was situate near the
conjunction of the Counties of Cardigan, Carmarthen and Pembroke, to Non-conformists of that
denomination intending to settle in Pennsylvania.It is not to be supposed, however, that all of the
persons to whom such letters were given lived at or near to Rhydwyllim; but this Chapel seems to
have been the headquarters of Baptists in this part of South Wales, and the place from whence all
such certificates, on recommendation of the local ministers, were at that time issued to those about
to emigrate.It is interesting to know that Lampeter township in Lancaster County which, according
to a learned historian of that County was so called to commemorate an early settler yclept [sic]
"Lame Peter", was as a matter of fact, named by these Welsh Colonists after Llampeter in
Cardiganshire, from whence some of them emigrated, and that a large number, likewise, settled in
what is now the State of Delaware, and Pencader Hundred there was so called after the Parish
of Pencader which adjoins Lampeter.It has been stated that in Cardiganshire and Carmarthen-
shire from whence so many of the Welsh Baptist settlers of Pennsylvania came, the best type of the
Cymry is to be found in the descendants of the ancient Silurians, and the inhabitants of these
Counties also claim that their language, which differs somewhat from the North Welsh tongue, is
purer and therefore more primitive than the latter; but, although in a sense this may be true,
inasmuch as North Wales was frequently invaded by the Picts, Scots and Strath Clyde Britains
and even by Armoricans, many of whom settled there, whilst the tribes in the south for the most
part drove back these invaders; yet it is unquestionable that the influence of Roman arms, Roman
blood and the Roman language is more evident here today than in any other part of England or
Wales, and it is not surprising, indeed, that this should be so.The impress of Roman civilization
and blood in England was almost entirely effaced by the Saxon conquest, and, to a very considerable
extent, in North Wales also, but in South Wales, especially in the Counties of Cardigan and
Carmarthen, the people, subsequent to the Roman evacuation, although repeatedly attacked by
Saxon and Dane and finally by the Normans, defended their territory more stubbornly, more
successfully, and longer than their Northern kinsmen.
Again, it is only natural that the Roman should have left a deep inpress upon this spot in Britain.
Here, indeed, were many of the richest mines, which formed the real incentive for the conquest and
absolute tyrannical government of the country, and it was from these mines that the Roman Emperors
and Senators, generation after generation, drew their revenues; the enforced work of the enslaved
Briton, in the nature of tribute from the conquered provinces, filling the coffers of the Imperial City.
That mining was carried on to a great extent here, we know, and that the profits from this industry in
South Wales alone, must have been enormous is evident from the lavish expenditure of the Roman
Government in maintaining several legions inCardiganshire and Carmarthenshire for over two
centuries, and erecting here permanent and magnificent military roads and extensive defensive
works, Sarn Helen and Sarn Julia being splendid examples of the former.
It was the custom of the Romans to keep the same legions at one station continually supplying
deficiencies in the ranks by recruits as needed.Thus, the famous XXth Legion was stationed for
generations at Chester, others at the two Northern Walls.Upon the expiration of his term of service,
the Roman veteran was accorded the privilege of transportion to the point of his enlistment, or was
permitted to marry and settle outside the Camp and a large percentage availed themselves of the
latter privilege and it would seem that these old soldiers formed, as it were, a kind of reserve of the
Legion, their children being, probably, destined to fill the ranks in their turn.In ninety-nine cases
out of a hundred the wife was a native woman.
Carmarthen is on the site of the Roman Maridunum, and near the junction of Sarn Helen and Sarn
Julia.Here are a number of Roman remains, including a fine pavement, the site of the
Amphitheatre, some entrenchments, a house or so of Roman origin, and the foundation of the bridge.
Sarn Helen runs northward from this place via Lampeter, connecting with Llanddewi Brefi,
Nantcwnlle and the coast.
From the final withdrawal of the Roman Legions from Britain after their last campaign against the
Picts and Scots to the tenth century, say for a period of nearly six hundred years, but little is known
of the history of this part of Wales.The Romans had found the Britons of these bleak hills living in
the rudest possible manner--the dwellings of the peasants being merely depressions in the ground,
sometimes walled up a couple of feet above the surface and covered with slabs of stone and sod.
These hovels accommodated, usually, but two or three persons, and were for sleeping only, not room
enough being allowed to stand or sit up.Sometimes, also, they lived in pits or caves.The houses of
the chiefs and upper classes, however, were of timber lined with skins of fur-bearing animals, and
It seems that the Romans, by example and intermarriage, soon introduced a more comfortable and
more sanitary mode of living and to this day substantial stone buildings have been observed in
various parts of Wales, which are, at least partly, of undoubted Roman construction, but how
far from civilization even those of Roman blood drifted amid the confusion and desperate
fighting which followed the withdrawal of the Legions cannot ever be known.
Certain it is, however, that the Britons commenced to quarrel among themselves innediately they
were abandoned, and mobs, which probably included many Roman adventurers, ex-soldiers, and
half-blood natives, attacked and pillaged the villas of the wealthier classes, burning them to the
ground, and also destroyed the mines; the temporary and feeble government having more than
they could accomplish in attempting to defend the country against the barbarians from the North,
who, failing to meet the accustomed garrison on the Roman Walls, poured in hordes southward,
burning, looting and murdering as they advanced.
There must have been fierce fighting in Cardiganshire during all these years, and later for, speaking
of the Church of Llanbadarn Fawr in the County of Cardigan, in his Antiquities of Cardiganshire,
Evans says that it was burnt down by the Saxons, in 720, by the Danes, in 988, by Llewelyn ap
Sitsyllt, in 1038, by the Danes in 1071, and by Ethel and Madoc, in 1111, and it is a strange fact
that Christianity continued to flourish here under such adverse circumstances.Certainly, under the
beneficent influence of the Church a considerable improvement was made in the social condition
of the Welsh by the 10th Century.
Of all Britain, Wales alone had maintained her independence in defiance of the Picts and Scots,
invading Saxons, and Danish Vikings.Of the land eastward, town and principality after principality
had been crushed by the Saxon, first invited to the island by a mistaken policy of hiring these
mercenaries to take the place of the Roman troops, who had so long and successfully kept the
Picts and Scots within the confines of their misty hills.
But Britain had not been cheaply conquered.Step by step, fighting desperately for each hamlet
and each field, sweeping clean the land before them, in one great red devastation, the Saxon
advanced, but slowly, westward.It cost him generations of continuous war to win the plains and
forests of Cheshire alone, and it was not until the 8th Century, that the main part of the Island could
be considered as Saxon England.Even then the Welsh, probably re-enforced by retreating tribes of
Britons, still bravely held out, and finally arranged a treaty, whereby the Welsh Princes sat in the
Saxon Parliaments, especially in the reign of Athelstan, and governed their land under their own
code of laws.
The social condition of the Welsh, had, by this time, much improved, their dwellings being compara-
tively comfortable (principally built of wood) and they had given much attention to the cultivation of
the arts and sciences, and to music and poetry, in which they had always delighted, and which at the
present day distinguishes them as a peculiar people.
Under Howel Dda (the Good), a wise Prince, the laws of Wales were revised, and many excellent
ones added.Unfortunately, however, the division of the Principality between several Princes, or
Chiefs, sometimes brothers, sometimes cousins, was the cause of much jealousy and cruel civil wars,
and, in the end prevented a united stand against the Norman invaders, who more by the treachery of
some of the Welsh themselves, than by force of arms, acquired footholds in various places within
the Marches.These Normans, we are told, when the opportunity presented itself, treated the
conquered with great cruelty.From his earldom by Chester, Hugh the Wolf harried Flintshire into a
desert.Robert de Belesme slew the inhabitants like sheep, "... enslaved them, and flayed them with
nails of Iron."
In South Wales, in his County of Cardigan, that goodly Prince and iron soldier, Rys ap Tewdor,
and his son Griffith, his son Rys called the "Lord Rys," and the Great Llewelyn, made so gallant a
stand against the invaders that at last a truce was called, and lasted, with a few minor outbreaks for a
long time, Lord Rys being commissioned Chief Justice of South Wales by Henry 1.
In the reign of Edward 1., the Welsh again considered their ancient privileges trampled upon, and
broke out in rebellion under the Second Llewelyn, who, after a single success, fell at Builth, and his,
with his brother David's head, rotted for many a year on the spikes of Temple Bar; but still the
Welsh remained practically unconquered.Edward, with the policy that marked his reign did not
strive to entirely deprive them of their rights, but his successors were less prudent, and at the close
of the 14th Century, the principality was again in arms under Owen Glendower (excepting a division
in Cromwell's time) remained loyal to the Crown, and, under the Standard of England, in almost
every battlefield, from Agincourt and Bosworth Field down to the present time, the Welsh have main-
tained a record for courage and military ability equal to any other race.In other lands, under other
flags they have been equally conspicuous.
The wilder parts of Wales, however, down to a century and a half ago, were much infested by many
bands of robbers, principally outlaws, who appear to have been quite beyond the control of the local
authorities.This was particularly so in parts of Merionethshire, Denbigshire and Cardiganshire,
where the paucity of population, and the mountainous country gave them an opportunity to pursue
robbery and murder with a license almost amounting to impunity, and it has been observed that
these men were frequently descendants of good families who had lost their fortune.
There were also many difficulties between the various houses or clans, often resulting in serious
bloodshed--something after the manner of the ancient and famous Scotch feuds.
Regarding the paucity of population in earlier times, it may be interesting to mention that in 41 of
Elizabeth there were only 24 taxables in Llanddewi Brefi holding lands or goods, 12 in Lampeter,
6 in Bettws Bledrws, and about the some in Nantcwnlle.In 14 Charles 11. (1661), there were only
about a score of persons of any means in Nantcwnlle, and the next year, the rolls give but 48 houses
in that parish, including the town itself, and only 34 houses in Llanddewi Brefi.
The Welsh had always been farmers or graziers, and their mode of life was very simple.In former
times the farmer had two places of abode, one of these in the hills was called the Vottai, or summer
residence, whilst the other was the Hendre, or permanent home, the latter usually erected in a
valley, sufficiently sheltered from the winter winds, and in the middle ages were very substantial
buildings of stone.The summer abode was of wood.
In the springtime the wealthy farmer left his Hendre and, with his family, servants, cattle and sheep,
took up his residence on the hills.The sheep would be sent to the higher mountains but the cattle
would be grazed on the common pasture lands.
In August the farmer would return with his cattle to the valley, bringing with him the summer
product of cheese and butter, to gather the harvest.Later in the season the sheep were brought
from the hills.
The Welsh laws and customs governing real and personal property were, in early times, in very
many respects, different from those observed in England, and these laws, however antique in
principle, varied somewhat at different periods in the history of the Principality.
At first the law or custom of Gavel-Kind appears to have been rigorously observed, and was
confirmed by the code of Howel Dda.The English Kings recognized this custom and allowed it.
Under this system the land of the father was, at his decease, divided equally between all of his sons.
In time, this system led to the division of very ample estates into a number of small farms, and
always proved disastrous, so far as the maintenance of family power was concerned.
Following the English example, in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth centuries, it was often customary to
secure to the eldest son the bulk of the real estate, sometimes by will, and sometimes by a settlement
in the lifetime of the parent.Such settlement was often arranged so that the land was entailed for
several generations, or perpetually.
In such cases, when the land was transferred in the lifetime of the father and where a will was sub-
sequently made, the name of the heir would be omitted.From records extant it appears that the
equal subdivision of land upon death intestate of a freeholder, was practiced generally for a long
In the following pedigree care has been exercised in proving each definite statement, and no
researchhas been spared to accomplish this, but the data obtainable regarding some generations
are meager and out of proportion to the labor involved in arriving at conclusions, such conclusions,
indeed, being frequently the result of an exhaustive investigation of many branches of the some
family.Especial caution must be always exercised in Welsh pedigrees for the reason that the Welsh,
for a long time, had no surnames, the custom being for the children to take their father's baptismal
name for their surname, and even so late as the end of the Seventeenth Century, fixed surnames were
first beginning to be in general use.
It will be noted that in this pedigree it was not until after the removal of the three brothers to
Pennsylvania that the name Griffith or Griffiths, which in Welsh is spelled Gruffydd and should
be written in English without the final S, became established as a permanent surname among their
descendants, so that Welsh families bearing the same name and residing in the same county, are not
necessarily even remotely related to each other.
In the course of this investigation, however, a great many trustworthy family traditions and some
statements which former generations have recorded as family history, have been completely verified
in a remarkable manner, but the pedigree here recorded rests entirely upon the descent of land,
wills, and other official documents as cited, and has been prepared at the request and sole expense
of Foster C. Griffith, of Trenton, NJ.The information herein presented relating to descendants of the
three brothers has been contributed by members of the family.
The Welsh portion of the pedigree, the accuracy of which the undersigned is alone responsible for,
was undertaken about eight years ago.During that period a large number of records relating to
Cardiganshire have been examined.
The Wills, Administrations and Inventories at the Probate Registry for Carmarthen were read year
by year, and several hundred abstracts made therefrom; the Rolls of the Feet of Fines for
Caridganshire were, for the first time in the memory of man, most laboriously searched from Edward
VI. to George III., and a Calendar of 100 folios compiled therefrom for reference; a number of
parish registers were examined and one copied in full for fifty years, and the Exchequer Rolls were
searched from Edward 1. to George 111.The Subsidy Rolls and Hearth Tax Rolls, for a large part of
Cardiganshire, were copied entire from Henry VII. and Elizabeth to George 111., comprising
thousands of names, the Visitations searched (Dwnn), wills at the prerogative Court of Canterbury,
Mss. at Aberyswith College and elsewhere, collections of private pedigrees in Wales, and all printed
authorities on Cardiganshire history or genealogy.The Records at the Diocesan Registry, consisting
of transcripts of parish Registers were also searched. Inquisitions P. M., and a great number of other
archives which need not be mentioned here.
The author does not hold himself responsible for the accuracy of names and dates of descendants of
the three brothers who settled in Pennsylvania, where this information has been furnished by
members of the family.He assumes all other responsibility.
The identification of various persons has been proved by the comparison of signatures both in Penn-
sylvania and Wales, in order that no possible confusion with persons of the same name could occur.
The compiler, having been practically unlimited by his principal in the matter of expenditure, can
conscientiously state that no record likely to cast even a side light upon the subject has rested un-
examined, and, finally, the following pedigree has been compiled from Family Archives, existing
Official Records as cited or set forth at large, and from the ancient Welsh Authorities, some in one
time, some in another, so that no man hereafter may either augment it or lessen it, or form a new
pedigree or lose the old.
Quamvis fracta hasta et signum eversum sit,
tamen partrum meminimus agros colentes.
Thomas Allen Glenn
Tregaron, Cardiganshire, South Wales, May 5th, 1905
I. Rys AP RYDDERCH, of Castle Howell, or Hywel, owner of Gilvachwen Pantsreimonm and other
lands in the parish of Llandyssil, Cardiganshire, is the first of this family of whom there appears to
be authentic record.Pedigrees by Lewis Dwnn and others, copied from older genealogies, or
gathered from traditions preserved by descendants, agree in stating that he was son of Rydderch
Kydivor ap DINAL. Kydivor is said to have married Katherine, a daughter of "Lord Rys", Prince of
South Wales, who was commissioned by King Henry 1. in 1169 to be Chief Justice of that county,
and who died 21 April, 1197.(Dwnn, 28, 37, 65, 80, 227). Kydivor ap DINWAL is said to have
taken by escalade, for his father-in-law, the Castle Howell and the other lands mentioned, in the
parish of LLandysill, and caused a grant to be made him of the arms borne by his descendants, Viz:-
Sable, a spear-head embrued between three scaling-ladders, argent; on a chief gules a castle
triple turreted of the second.*
*There is a comment by Meyrick in a note to Dwnn (1,227) that this coat is far too elabo-
rate to have been in use at the time stated, and was, doubtless, assumed by Kydivor's
descendants to commemorate the achievement of their ancestor.
The facts are that Castle Howell and the lands above named were the possessions of descendants of
"Lord Rys" in the male line for a long time, and, in 1275, belonged to Owen ap Meredith, Lord of the
Manor of Llandyssil, who died in that year.
Under any circumstances, the approximate date of the marriage claimed with "Lord Rys's" daughter,
and the probable date of birth and of marriage of Rys ap RYDDERCH, exclude the possibility that
the latter could have been Kydivor's grandson. We must conclude, therefore, that this is one of those
cases so often found in Welsh genealogy in which "ap" stands of descendant of and not for son of.
Rys apRYDDERCH was living about the Month of May, 1309, and married Gwenllian, daughter
of Llewelyn ap OWEN, Lord of the Manor of Llandyssil, one of the Superior Lords of South Wales,
and the representative of the Princes of that county.Llewelyn ap OWEN was the son of Owen ap
MEREDITH, who died 15 Aug, 1275, by Aghared or Agaret, daughter of Owen ap MEREDITH,
Lord of Kedewen.
On 15 February, 1279, the King (Edward 1.) took the homage of Llewelyn son of Owen, he being
still under age and in the King's custody, for all the lands and tenements which he claimed to hold of
the King and which belonged to the said Owen his father on the day that he died. (Rot. Wall. 6-9
Edward 1. de anno Septimo M. 9 dorso.)
On 11 April, 1279, he held an inquisition for the King, at Lampader Vawr, as one of the Superior
Lords of Cardigan (Inq. P.M. 7 Edward 1. No. 76).In 1283 he is called Lord of Gwynnionith and
Iscoed, and he is also styled Lord of Iscoed Kerdyn and Trefgarn.On 10 November, 1291, the King
concedes and confirms to his beloved Llwelin ap Oweyne that he and his heirs shall hold a weekly
Market on Wednesdays at his Manor Llandusil, in the County of Kardigan (Cardigan) and a three
days Fair there once in every year, namely on the Eve of, the Day of, and the Morrow of the Nativity
of the Blessed Virgin (September 7,8,9). (Rot. Chart. 19 Edward 1. No. 3).Llewelyn ap Owen was
Patron of the church at LLlndyssil, where he was buried in 1309. (Ecclesias Menevenis Harl. Mss.
On 3 May, 1309, the King's writ of diem clausit extremum was issued to Roger de MORTIMER, the
King's Justice of South Wales, ordering him to take into the King's hand the lands and tenements of
Leulin ap OWAYNE, who held of the King in Capite.(Except. e Rot. Fin. [Abbr., at Rec. Office]
2 Edward 11.).Inquisition P.M. taken at Carmarthen on the Thursday next after the Feast of the
Holy Trinity (29 May, 1309), when the Jury found that the said Lewlinus ap Oweyn held of the King
in Capite one Comot and a half and one Westva, in Cardiganshire &c, and that all the aforesaid
tenements are divisible, according to the custom of Wales, between the sons of the said Lewelin.
His sons Oweyn and Thomas are his next heirs, of whom Oweyne is eleven and Thomas ten years
of age, but the King has no right of marriage over them.(Inq. P.M. 2 Edward 11., No. 19).
It appears certain that Rys ap RYDDERCH obtained Castle Howell, and theother lands mentioned,
as a marriage portion from his father-in-law, and also that Gwenllian was by a former wife of
Llewelyn ap Owen, whom he married when under age and that she was born about 1279 or 1280.
The second wife of Llewelyn ap OWEN is said to have been Eleanor, daughter of Henri Comte de
BARRE, and granddaughter of Edward 1., but this statement is questioned.She is also called
daughter of William de BARRI, which may be correct.
Llewelyn ap OWEN was the son of Owen ap Meredith ap Owen ap Griffith ap RYS ("The Lord
The "Lord Rys ap GRIFFITH, a native Prince of South Wales, and the grandson of Rys of Tewdwr,
was a man preeminent for enterprise and valour among the warriors of the warlike age in which he
lived.He founded several Churches and Abbeys among others the Cistercian Abbey of Strata
Florida, and was a great patron of the Bards.
In 1176 the "Lord Rys" made a great feast at Christmas in his Castle of Cardigan, on finishing that
fortress; and he caused it to be proclaimed throughout all Britain a year and a day before hand.
"Thither came many strangers, which were honorably received, and worthily entertained, so that no
man departed discontented.And among deeds of arms and other shews, Rys caused all the poets of
Wales, which are makers of songs and recorders of gentlemen's pedigrees and arms, to come
thither, and provided chairs for them to be set in his hall, where they should dispute together to try
their cunning and gift in their faculties; where great rewards and rich gifts were appointed for the
over comers."(Gutyn Owain, Yorke, 35).
Llandyssil or Llandysul, is a parish in the Union of Newcastle-Emlyn, and derives its name from the
dedication of its church to St. Tysilio. It is situate in the southern part of the county bordering on
The village of Llandyssil is beautifully situated on a reach of the river Teivy, and on a hill above the
church are the small remains of the castle which was the baronial residence of Llewelyn ap OWEN,
above mentioned, his father, and his descendants.Castle Howell, or Hywel, stood near the river
Clattwr, and the foundation may yet be traced.The descendants of Rys ap RYDDERCH, however,
built another residence nearby, which, in after years, come to be called by the same name, and, after
its destruction by fire, a third mansion was erected, near the same site, which is still standing,
but used for many years, now, as a farm house.
David ap LLEWELYN, the great-great-grandson of Griffith Goch ap Rys ap RYDDERCH, and
cousin of "Kydwgan of Carrog," lived here in great splendour.Lewys Glyn COTHI, the notable
Welsh Poet, addressed two poems to this David, in the first of which he is most eulogistic on the
structure of his noble mansion (the one destroyed by fire), and then extols his and his wife's
among their wines he enumerates Malmsey, Rochelle, wine from Bordeaux in the wood, wine from
Gascony, Rhenish wine, Claret, Muscatel, and sweet wine.The second poem is in praise of his wife,
a daughter of the house of Llwyn DAVID.Their son, David LLOYD, was the first Knight of the
Shire, for the County of Cardigan, in the reign of Henry VIII.He had four brothers, from one of
whom descended Thomas GRIFFITH, Esquire, Lord of the Manor of Lampeter.* (Dwnn,1, 228,
Lewys Glyn COTHI).
*Thomas GRIFFITH, Esquire, Lord of the Manor of Lampeter, County of Cardigan, is
usually called as of Maes Velyn, and was son of Griffith ap Ievan ap David ap LLEWELLYN,
and inherited the Manor of Lampeter through his grandmother.He is called by Dwnn, Lord
of Lampeer, St. Clears and Aberaeron, and was High Sheriff of the County of Cardigan 1575,
and was alive 1609.
He married, first, Maud LLOYD, married secondly, Elizabeth, widow of Griffith LLOYD, of
the Forest, and daughter unto David ap Sion, of Llangathen.(Dwnn, 1,17,65,140), and
married thirdly, Gwenllian, widow of Francis JOHNS, or JONES, and daughter of Rys
LLOYD, Esq., "of Llan y byddair."In 32 Elizabeth, his wife, and Thomas LLOYD, joining),
excepting two mills, the "new house" and certain lands.In 7 James 1., he sold to his stepson,
Matthew JONES, almost all of his remaining lands.He had issue: Thomas GRIFFITH,
Griffith GRIFFITH, d.s.p. David GRIFFITH,
Richard GRIFFITH, John GRIFFITH, William GRIFFITH, Alice, Gwenllian, Elen and
Rys ap RYDDERCH had issue by Gwenllian his wife:
Griffith GOCH, who had the lands of Castle Howell, and continued the line there.He was ancestor
to Thomas GRIFFITH, Esquire, Lord of the Manor of Lampeter, and his wife was Katharine,
of Sir Elidir Ddu, Knight of the Holy Sepulcher.(Dwnn, 1, 27, 52, 228, &c).
Rys VOEL, who had the lands called Pantstriemon, where his descendants reside to this day.
(Dwmm, 1, 38, &c).
Richard ap Rys, of whom presently.
Kydifor ap Rys.(Dwnn, 1, 187)
II. Richard AP RYS, who is said to have been the 3rd son of RYs ap RYDDERCH and Gwenllian
his wife, although sometimes called 2nd son, upon the division of his father's lands, had a part of
Gilvachwen.He was born circa 1300, and the name of his wife, so far as can be ascertained, is not
given in any pedigree extant.(Dwnn, 1, 37, 38, &c).
He had issue:
Kydwgan VAWR, of whom presently.(Other issue.)
III. Kydwgan VAWR (Dwnn, 1, 37, &c.), 1st son of Richard ap RYS, was of the parish ofLLandyssil,
where he held certain lands which had belonged to his father.He was second cousin to Owain
GLYNDYFRDWY * (Owen GLENDOWER), and appears to have been actively engaged with him in
the uprising of the Welsh in 1400, but probably died before the end of that struggle in 1415.His
son, David, also joined Owain, was captured in 1410 and sent to Windsor Castle in October of that
The name of Kydwgan VAWR'S wife has not been ascertained.He had issue:
Kydwgan VYCHAN, alias "Kydwgan of Carrog", of whom presently.
David ap Kydwgan, living October, 1410.
*Owain GLYNDFRYDWY was born 1348-49, and was the son of Griffith VYCHAN, by
Elen, daughter and co-heris of Thomas ap Llewelyn ap OWEN, Lord of the Manor of
Llandyssil, and was, therefore, cousin to Kydwgan VAWR, once removed, as above;
Kydwgan's grandmother being Gwenllain, daughter to Llewelyn ap OWEN.(History of
Powys Fadog, Lloyd, 1,197,198).
Note that Dwnn and others in some pedigrees of persons descended from this family add
another generation, a third Kydwgan, which is incorrect.The error seems to have occurred
from supposing that Kydwgan VYCHAN and Kydwgan "of Carrog" were father and son,
whereas they were the same person.
IV. Kydwgan VYCHAN, 1st son of Kydwgan VAWR, (Dwnn 1, 37, &c.) called "of Carrog" or
Garog, married Ellen, or Elin, who appears to have been the heiress of a great part of the parish of
Llanddeiniol, of as it was anciently called, Carrog, or Garog, from a small stream of that name which
flows through this district.He also acquired extensive possessions in the adjoining parish of
LLanrhystyd.His children divided his lands between them.He had issue by Ellen, his wife:
Llewelyn ap KYDWGAN, of whom presently.
Efa, married David ap Ieuan ap MADOG, of Llanarth.( Dwnn 1, 53).(Other issue).
V. Llewelyn ap KYDWGAN, 1st son of Kydwgan VYCHAN and Ellen his wife, (Meyrick, 134-35, 5;
Dwnn1, 37, &c,. Lloyd Mss. Rel. to Card).He was of the parish of LLanddeiniol and upon the
division of his father's lands, inherited a large estate in that portion of the parish called Carrog
including Carrog Blaen and the large farms still known as Maen Elin Issaf and Maen Elin Uchaf
and the lands called Tir y Cam or Ty Cam, Carrog Tarms, intervening lands, and also large estates
in Llanrhystyd.He married Gladys (Meyrick, 134-35, annotated copy in possession of J. Davies),
daughter of Meredith VYCHAN, of Blaen Trean, in the County of Carmarthen, and is supposed to
have died circa 1450.He had issue by Gladys, his wife:
Richard VYCHAN,(Dwnn, 1, 29).
Rys DU, of whom presently.
David ap LLEWELYN.(Dwnn, 1, 29).
Ievan apLLEWELYN, of Neuad in Llandvgwydd, Cardiganshire.(Dwnn, 1, 28, Meyrick).
Nest VOEL, married Kydwgan LLOYD, of Kydwelly. (Dwnn, 1, 80).
Ellin, married Meredith ap THOMAS, of Llandyssil.(Dwnn, 1, 80.
VI. Rys DU, 2nd son of Llewelyn ap KYDWGAN, and Gladys, his wife, inherited Carrog and
other lands above named, and estates in Llanhystyd.He married, 1st, Gwenllian, daughter of
Ievan ap EINION, of Evionydd, Carnarvonshire (Meyrick, 134-35).Her father, Ievan ap EINION,
was party to a deed dated the next Friday after Easter, 12 Richard II. (23 April, 1389), and her
brother, Madog ap IEVAN, was party to a deed dated 10 Henry V. (1415)
Rys DU married, 2ndly, Gwenllian, daughter of Jenkin Llewelyn DAVID, of Ystrad Gorwg, in
Carmarthenshire, descended from Kydifor VAWR, Lord of Kil y Sant.(Dwnn, 1, 140-41, Meyrick,
34-35, Lloyd Mss., Cardiganshire)
Rys DU had issue by Gwenllian, his first wife:
Jenkin ap RYS, of Moel Ivor, in Llanrhystyd.(Dwnn, 1, 37).
Ievan ap RYS, who married Eva, daughter of Ievan ap Madog, of Bowys.(Dwnn, 1, 37).
Rys Vychan, of Mabws Fawr, in Llanrhystyd; married a daughter of Philip ap MEREDITH, of Kil y
Sant.(Dwnn, 1, 161).
Rys DU had issue by Gwenllian, his 2nd wife:
Morgan ap RYS.(Dwnn, 1, 44).
David ap RYS.(Dwnn, 1, 29).
Thomas ap RYS, of whom presently.
Llewelys ap RYS.* (Subsidy Rolls, in re. his son's land).
Gutto ap RYS.*
Atha ap RYS.*
*These younger children by the second marriage must have been born as late as from 1440
to 1460, and, consequently, their children and grandchildren were living and the
possessers of their lands in Llanddeiniol and Llanrhystyd 35 Henry VIII. (1543-44).David
ap LLEWELYN was taxed in land in Llanddeiniol in the Subsidy of this year.(Subsidy Roll
for Cadigan 219-68).
*See Subsidy Roll cited supra. for Llanddeiniol parish.
*The children and grandchildren of this Atha were heirs to his land in Llanddeiniol,
VII. Thomas ap Rys DU, 6th son of Rys DU, by Gwenllian, his second wife, was born circa 1440,
or later, and, upon the division of his father's estate, a large number offarms in the parishes of
Llanddeiniol and Llanrhytyd fell to his share, including the Carrog estate (Carrog Farms and Keven
Maen Elin).He married a daughter (name not ascertained) of David ap DAVID, of Uwch Aeron,
descended from Dinwal.(Meyrick, 134-35, Subsidy Roll 219-68).
Thomas ap Rys DU had issue by verch David, his wife
David Lloyd ap THOMAS.(Meyrick, 134-35).
Jenkin ap THOMAS, of whom presently.
Thomas ap Thomas ap RYS, born circa 1475-1480; who was living in the parish of Llanddeiniol and,
under the designation of Thomas ap Thomas ap RYS, was taxed there in 35 Henry VIII. (1543-44),
in land (and goods) which had belonged to his ancestors, in an assessment of the first payment of a
subsidy granted that year. (Subsidy Roll 219-68, 35 Henry VIII. ).(Record Office, London.
VIII. Jenkin ap Thomas ap Rys DU, 2nd son of Thomas ap Rys DU and verch David, his wife:
of the parish of Llanddeiniol, inherited lands in this parish and in Llanrhystyd, and died before
35 Henry (1543-44)>(Subsidy Roll 219-68 and other records), at which time his possessions had
passed to his descendants.The name of his wife is not known.He had issue:
Griffith ap JENKIN, of whom presently.
Thomas ap JENKIN.
Rys ap Jenkin.
IX. Griffith ap Jenkin ap THOMAS, 1st son of Jenkin ap Thomas ap Rys DU, of the parish of
Llanddeiniol, held land in this and adjoining parishes which had descended to him from Rys DU.
He was born probably circa 1506-08, and with Jonet, his wife, was living 19 Elizabeth (1577) when
they sold to one Hugh MORGAN 3 Messuages and certain lands in LLanrhystyd and elsewhere.
(Rolls of Feet of Fines, Cardiganshire, 19 Elizabeth, October Session).He had issue by Jonet, his
Jenkin ap GRIFFITH, of whom presently.
Morgan ap GRIFFITH.
Thomas ap GRIFFITH.
X. Jenkin ap GRIFFITH, 1st son of Griffith ap Jenkin ap THOMAS, and Jonet, his wife, of the
parish of Llanddeiniol, was a considerable landholder there and in Llanrhystyd, of farms which had
belonged to his ancestors, and also seems to have acquired considerable property in Tregaron and
Llanddewi Brefi, and possibly in Nantcwnlle, where his son, Hugh Jenkin GRIFFITH afterwards
lived.He was the owner of Keven Maen Elin and the Carrog Farms in Llanddeiniol and farms on the
borders of Llanrhystyd.These lands, some before and some after his decease, passed to his sons.
He died after 13 February, 1609.Records indicate his wife, whose name is unknown, was still alive.
(File for 1609, P.R. Carmarthen, Rolls of Feet of Fines, Cardiganshire, 41 Elizabeth, September
Sessions and various other records elsewhere cited).He had issue:
Hugh Jenkin GRIFFITH, of whom presently.
David Jenkin GRIFFITH, living in Nantcwnlle parish 1633; m. Jane
Thomas Jenkin GRIFFITH, of Nantcwnlle, who had David Thomas JENKIN, of Nantcwnlle, whose
will was proved 1636, his cousin, Griffith HUGH being then in debt to him.(File for 1609, P.R.
Morgan Jenkin GRIFFITH, a witness to will of his brother, Hugh, 14 October, 1636, taxed in land
in Llanshystyd, 3 James I. (1605-06). (Subsidy Roll, Cardiganshire 219-81).
Griffith Jenkin GRIFFITH, a witness to will of his brother, Hugh, 14 October, 1636.
XI. Hugh Jenkin GRIFFITH, 1st son of Jenkin GRIFFITH, was born circa 1556.In some records
and in his will, he is called Hugh JENKIN.The name of his 1st wife has not been ascertained.His
second was Mary LEWIS,* sister to John LEWIS, of Trefeglwys, whose son, Lewis JOHN. was one
of the bondsmen for his cousin, Jenkin HUGH, 24 January, 1636.They were, with out doubt, the
children of Lewis ap Lewis ap David GWYNN, of Mynachdy in Llanbadarn Trefeglwys, descended
in the male line from Llewelyn GARDAN, of Lyn Aeron, and he from Edwun ap GRONWY.The
wife of Lewis ap David GWYNN, was Leuku, daughter of Lewis ap David LLOYD, of Gil y
Aeron, ap David, of Gil y Aeron (i.e. Kilian Aeron) ap Philip ap Rys ap Ievan ap Lleweivn ap
Kydgan , of Carrog (Llanddeiniol parish).Mary LEWIS, was therefore, a kinswoman to her husband,
Hugh GRIFFITH. (Dwnn, 1, 16, 31).
The mother of David Lloyd ap David ap PHILIP, was daughter to Ievan ap Griffith ap DAVID, of
Llwyn David.Her brother, David ap Ievan was the person who entertained the Earl of Richmond
so magnificently at LLwyn David, on his march to Bosworth Field.*Mary Lewis was alive 14
October, 1639, and later.
Hugh Jenkin GRIFFITH inherited an ample estate, part of which was situated in the parishes of
Llanddeiniol and Llanrhystyd, and had formerly formed a portion of the estates of his ancestor,
Kydwgan of Carrog; he acquired other lands by purchase.At the time of his death, in 1636, he was
seized of Keven Maen Elyn, in Llanddeiniol, now called Maen-Elin uchaf and isaf,* quite large
farms, Tir y Cwm, now known by another name, situate between Llanddeiniol and
Llanrhystyd, an interest in the lands called Tir Ievan ap Ievan ap Jokin, alias Tir issa Thomas David
GRIFFITH, below the hamlet of Gogoyan, in the parish of LLanddewi Brefi,*several farms in the
parish of Nantcwnlle, and held on lease a small place called Croft Corne Garne.In 41 Elizabeth
(1599), Hugh Jenin GRIFFITH, with his eldest son, Richard ap HUGH, sold to one Richard ap
David ap Rees ap HOWELL, a property in the parish of Nantcwnlle consisting of one messuage, one
garden, one hundred acres of arable land, twenty acres of meadow, forty acres of pasture and forty
acres of furze and heath, with the appurtenances thereto belonging, for the consideration of L40
silver money.At this time his 1st wife was certainly dead.His 2nd marriage probably took place the following year.
A copy of the record of the above transaction in the Rolls of Feet of Fines, Cardiganshire.(Bundle
220, 41 Elizabeth, September Sessions) is reproduced:
In the month of March 8, Charles I., Hugh Jenkin GRIFFITH and Jenkin ap HUGH, (his son) made
a purchase of one messuage, one barn, one garden, forty acres of land, one acre of meadow, twenty
acres of pasture, and two acres of woods in Nantcwnlle, from David Jenkin GRIFFITH (brother to
Hugh Jenkin GRIFFITH) and Jane, his wife.This was adjacent to his other farm in Nantcwnlle and
was intended for his son Jenkin.A copy of the record of the same is herewith reproduced.(Rolls of
Feet of Fines, Cardiganshire, Bundle 221, 8 Charles I., March Sessions).
Hugh Jenkin GRIFFITH died in or about the month of January, 1636-37, and was buried in
Nantcwnlle churchyard.His will was proved at Carmarthen 24 January, 1636.*
Hugh Jenkin GRIFFITH had issue by his 1st wife:.
Richard ap HUGH, born circa 1578; of full age, and party with his father in a Fine concerning
certain lands in Nantcwnlle parish, 41 Elizabeth, ( 1599 )September Session, ( Rolls of Feet of
Fines, Cardiganshire, 41 Elizabeth, September Sessions, Bundle 220).
Griffith HUGH, born circa 1601; of whom presently.
John HUGH,* living 12 August 1670.
Jenkin HUGH, living 12 August 1670.
Jowan HUGH, living 14 October, 1636.(See her father's Will).
*See his will, proved 1636, infra.
*On the march of the Earl of Richmond from Milford to Shrewsbuy, he was received and
highly entertained at Llwyn Davydd, in the parish of Llandyssilio, Gogo, Cardiganshire, by
its owner, David ap IEVAN; and tradition says that David spared no expense to insure the
gratification of the noble guest.After the hero of Bosworth Field had become King Henry
VII., he made a present of a Hirlas, or gray drinking horn, tipped and mounted on silver, to
this David ap IEVAN.The horn is designed in such exquisite taste as to induce the belief
that the stand must have been designed by an Italian artist.This is formed by the Royal
supporters, the Greyhound of the family and the Dragon of Wales, and it is evident that be-
tween them were the Royal arms, as a bit of silver, projecting, seems to point to a deficiency.
In the Civil Wars it was given to Richard, second Earl of Carbery, who commanded this dis-
trict, and so passed into the collection at Golden Grove.
The following night the Earl of Richmond was entertained by Einion ap Davydd LLOYD, of
Werm-Newydd, in the parish of Llanarth, in the same county, who tried to outdo David in the
splendour of his hospitality, but no horn or other present was sent him.
This Hirlas horn, of which an illustration appears in Dwnn's Visitations of Wales (Meyrick) is
still preserved as an interesting relic of the first of the Tudor Kings of England.A similar
horn of a later date is to be seen at Penrhyn Castle, Carnarvonshire, North Wales.
Ordnance Survey of 1886, Cardigan Sheet, XV, N.W.
*His interest in these Llanddewi Brefi lands he bequeathed to his son, Jenkin HUGH, who
soon after sold the same.About this time these lands became the property of one Daniel
David REES, who mortgaged the same to his brother, Jenkin David REES, for L40.They
then descended to William ap Daniel ap DAVID, and then to his son, Evan WILLIAM, who,
by will, proved 7 August, 1716, devised the same lands to his brother, David WILLIAM.
*Bundle for 1636, Probate Registry, Carmarthen.Bond of the Executor was filed at
Carmarthen 24 January, 1636, the bondsmen being Jenkin HUGH, of Nantgwnlle
[Nantcwnll] in the county of Cardigan, gentleman.Griffith THOMAS, of the same place,
yeoman, and Lewis JOHN of Treveglys, yeoman.The later was nephew to Mary
LEWIS, wife of Hugh JENKIN, deceased. This bond is in Latin.The Will and other papers
relating to the estate are in very bad condition, and the handwriting is most difficult to
decipher, even for an expert.
*Mentioned in his father's will of 14 October, 1636, and called "my uncle John HUGH" in
the will of his nephew, Hugh GRIFFITH, son of Griffith HUGH, alias Griffith Hugh
JENKIN, dated 8 October, 1663, and was one of the witnesses to the will of his brother
Griffith HUGH, dated 12 August 1670; proved at Carmarthen 15 December, 1670.
XII. Griffith Hugh Jenkin GRIFFITH, 3rd son of Hugh Jenkin GRIFFITH, and called in various
documents and records, Griffith Hugh JENKIN and Griffith HUGH, was born circa 1601; died in the
parish of Nantcwnlle, in or about the month of December, 1670,* and was buried in Nantcwnlle
Upon his arrival at the age of twenty-one years his father gave him sufficient money to purchase and
stock a farm, and, he accordingly, in April, 20 James I. (1622) secured from David ap Jevan DAVID
and Matilda, his wife, a property in Nantcwnlle, consisting of one Messuage, forty acres of arable
land, eight acres of meadow, thirty acres of pasture, ten acres of woodland and twenty acres of furze
and heath.And he paid to the said David and Matilda, L40 in silver money.A copy of this
transaction in the Rolls of Feet of Fines for Cardiganshire,* (Bundle 220, 20 James I., April
Sessions) is reproduced.
Subsequently Griffith HUGH acquired other farms on the borders of Nantcwnlle and Trevilam
parishes, and, apparently, partly within the latter---as his son John GRIFFITH, who inherited and
lived upon these lands is described in the Letters of Administration upon his estate, as of Trevilan.
He also had land in Llanddewi Brefi parish.He married Margaret (last name unknown), who
predeceased him.His will was proved 15 December, 1670.
Griffith HUGH had issue by Margaret, his wife:
Hugh GRIFFITH, died unmarried, 1663, Will dated 8 October, 1663; Proved at Carmarther 29
October, 1663.He mentions his nephew Hugh John GRIFFITH, his uncle John HUGH, nephew
Hugh JENKIN, niece Jowan EDWARD'S, goddaughter Jane MORGAN, (cousin) Hugh John
HUGH, father, Griffith HUGH and brother David GRIFFITH.Appoints his father executor.Wit-
nesses: Jenkin HUGH (cousin), Griffith EVANS, Cler."Viker of Nantgwnlle".Jen. LLOYD.He
left no real estate but personal property only.The bondsmen were David GRIFFITH , Griffith
HUGH, the Executor, and John GRIFFITH all of "Nantgwnlle, yeomen." TheBond was signed
21 October, 1663.(File for 1663, P.R. Carmarthen).
Margaret GRIFFITH, married in Tregaron Church, 6 August, 1656, Thomas JOHN, of Llanddewi
Brefi.She is described in the Parish Register as "Margaret GRUFFYTH," daughter of "Gruffyth
HUGH of Nant Gunlley," and she died without issue.Thomas JOHNmarried, secondly, Joan,
widow of David OWEN, and died without issue, 1687.His nuncupative will was taken down 16
January, 1687: proved at Carmarthen, 7 February, 1687, he being therein described as Thomas
John HUGH, of Llanddewi Brefi.He mentions Joan OWEN as his second wife, and leaves a bequest
to her son by her former marriage, David John OWEN.The latter died intestate in Llanddewi Brefi,
1701, and letters of Administration were granted to his wife, Matilda JOHN, 1 April 1701.(File
for 1687, 1701, P.R. Carmarthen.)
Jowan, married Edward (last name unknown), and had a daughter Jowan EDWARDS, living8
October, 1663, and named in the will of her uncle, Hugh GRIFFITH, of that date.(File for 1663,
John GRIFFITH, of whom presently.
David GRIFFITH; he inherited Ty'n y Park, in the Parish of Nantcwnlle under his father's will,
and went there to live.This farm lies in a narrow valley on the borders of the parish of Trevilan,
and seems to have at one time been of much larger extent than at present.It probably adjoined the
home farm of Griffith HUGH on the south, the latter appearing to have extended from the river west-
ward and to have been shut in by the hills on that side.Both these farms were larger in extent than
at present, and adjacent to the Gwastad property.
David GRIFFITH appears to have left issue: Isaac DAVID, perhaps a son, was living in Nnatcwnlle
Jane, unmarried 12 August, 1670, see her father's will of this date, whereby he charges his estate
with a dowry for her of L24:13:4.
*See his will cited infra.He was one of the appraisers of the estate of his father, Hugh
JENKIN, 24 January, 1636, and in the same will, dated October, he is mentioned as a
creditor of his father for a small sum.
*It will be noted that in this Fine he is described as Griffith Hugh JENKIN.In all records
except one he is called "yeoman," although his father, his brother Jenkin and his son John
GRIFFITH are described as "gentlemen."
XIII. John GRIFFITH, 2nd son and heir of Griffith HUGH was born in the parish of Nantcwnlle,
Cardiganshire, circa 1635.He was a bondsman for his father, Griffith HUGH, and for his brother
David GRIFFITH, Executors of the will of his elder brother, Hugh GRIFFITH, 21 October, 1663,
being then described as of the parish of Nantcwnlle, yeoman.(File of 1663, P. R. Carmarthen).By
the will of his father, Griffith HUGH, dated 12 August, 1670; proved 15 December, 1670 (File of
1670, P. R. Carmarthen), he is named as heir, and residuary legatee of the personal estate, and
appointed sole executor of the will.In the Bond filed by him at the time of the granting of Letters
Testamentary on this estate, he is styled as of Nantcenlle ("Nantgunlle") gentleman.(File of 1670,
P. R. Carmarthen).
He inherited a very considerable estate near the conjunction of the ancient bounds of the parishes of
Nantcwnlle, Trevilan and Llanddewi Brevi, and in Llanfihanglel Ystrad.A portion of his property
probably lay in Trevilan , to which place he apparently removed his residence after 1674, of, at least
died there in 1681.
So far as can be ascertained he owned Cae Riced and land adjoining Gwastad and Ty'n y Park and
Cae Madock and also a tract of 300 acres of land and 11 tenements in Nantcwnlle and Llanfihangle
Ystrad, and the property now called Allt Hugh Shon, most of which passed, finally, into the
possession of his eldest son, Hugh JOHN, of Nantcwnlle.
John GRIFFITH married Gwenllian DAVID, who was living after 1681, and he died intestate prior
to 3 May, 1681, leaving to survive him, a widow, the said Gwenllian, and minor sons, to whom his
freehold estate descended share and share alike, as tenants in common.Letters of Administration
upon his personal estate were granted to his widow, the said Gwenllian DAVID, 3 May, 1681, he
being then described as John Griffith ap HUGH.(File for 1681, P.R. Carmarthen).
He had issue by Gwenllian, his wife:
Hugh JOHN (GRIFFITH), born circa 1661-62; mentioned in Will of his uncle, Hugh GRIFFITH,
dated 1663 (File of 1663, P. R. Carmarthen).He called himself Hugh JOHN and his name appears
as one of the witnesses to the Will of his kinswoman and neighbor, Rachel LLOYD, of Gwastad in
the parish of Llanddewi Brefi, dated 18 June, 1692; proved 27 May, 1696. (File for 1696, P. R.
Carmarthen).The other witnesses being his brother, David JOHN, and Rev. David EDWARDS, the
Non-conformist minister, also a kinsman who owned the nearby farms of Cae Maddock and
Abermeurig; with his son, David HUGH, he was a witness to the Will of this Rev. David EDWARDS,
dated 18 July 1716; proved19 November, 1716.(File for 1716, P.R. Carmarthen). and with his
nephew, William GRIFFITH, who was then living with him, appraisedthe personal estate of this
Rev. David EDWARDS, 24 December, 1716.He Was also one of the appraisers of the estate of
Griffith LEWIS, gentleman, of Nantcwnlle, 17 January, 1718-19, and his name, always identified by
his peculiar signature, is attached to a number of other documents relating to Nantcwnlle and to
Llabddewu Brefi where he also held land.
His brothers, Griffith JOHN and David JOHN, released to him a portion of their father's estate,
consisting of 300 acres and 11 tenements in Nantcwnlle and Llanvilhangel Ystrad.He seems to
have mortgaged this property to one John EVANS;In order to perfect the title and insure the ex-
clusion of any claims of the heirs of his brothers, Hugh JOHN and John EVANS, made a covenant
to convey this tract to David LLOYD, Esq., and Richard ROWLAND, gentlemen (attorneys), who,
13 William III. (1701), Spring Session, brought an amicable action against the said Hugh JOHN,
gentleman and John EVANS, gentleman, for possession of the said 300 acres of land and 11
tenements in Nantcwnlle and Llanfihangell Ystrad, Judgment being confessed.The said plaintiffs
then conveyed the property to one John JENKIN, gentleman.At the same Sessions, then, Hugh
JOHN and John EVANS, gentlemen, brought a similar action against the said John JENKIN and
Matilda, his wife, pleading a covenant of sale of the same premises, and Judgment was confessed, so
that the property , with a clear title passed again to Hugh JOHN subject to whatever interests John
EVAN may have been entitled to.Hugh JOHN married and left issue:David HUGH and others.
Rolls of Feet of Fines, Cardiganshire, 13 William III., Public Records Office, London).
John GRIFFITH, William GRIFFITH, and Griffith GRIFFITHS, the sons of Griffith JOHN, who
died circa 1711, according to the family Ms., made their home with their uncle, and, after the assault
by Griffith GRIFFITH upon the Vicar of Llanddewi Brefi, regarding a dispute respecting the pay-
ment of tithes, it is said that Griffith feared the wrath of his uncle more than the consequence of the
assault.This matter is referred to more particularly under Griffith GRIFFITHS.
David JOHN born circa 1664, who with his brother, Hugh JOHN, was a witness to the will of Rachel
LLOYD of Gwastad, *18 Jun 1692; proved 1696 (File of 1696, P. R. Carmarthen).His signature
appears on various documents connected with his neighbors for succeeding years.He appears to
have conveyed a part, if not all, of his interest in the estate of his father, to his brother, Hugh JOHN.
Griffith JOHN, born 1669-70; baptized April, 1674: of whom presently.
John ap JOHN.
*Nothing futher has been discovered concerning her.She doubtless married and died in
This place is now, it is believed, claimed as within Nantcwnlle parish, but at that time was
described as of Llanddewi Brefi.This part of Llanddewi Brefi is now contained in the
Chapelry of Bettws Leiki.
*Ms. Family history, substantiated by records in Wales.Documents examined, P.R.
Carmarthen and Record Office, London, Ordnance Survey, Cardigan Sheet XXVI., N.W.,
XIV.Griffith John GRIFFITH, 3rd son of John Griffith ap HUGH, was born near the conjunction
of the ancient bounds of the parishes of Nantcwnlle, Llanddewi Brefi and Trevilan, Cardiganshire,
circa 1666-67, but was not baptized until April, 1674.*
According to the Welsh custom (Modo Wallico), he is variously described as Griffith JOHN, Griffith
JOHNS (Shones) and Griffith JONES* (various Wills, Appraisements, etc., Carmarthen).He was
entitled to a one/third undivided interest in his father's free-hold land.
On 25 May, 1705, he was one of the appraisers of the personal effects of his kinsman, William
EVANS, of Llanddewi Brefi.*(File for 1705, P. R. Carmarthen), and was one of the Executors
and also one of the beneficiaries in trust, under the will of his father-in-law, Jenkin JONES, of
Koedmawe in the parish of Llanddewi Brefi, dated 28th May, 1705.
He married Margaret, daughter of Jenkin JONES, above named, (Will of J.J. File for 1708, P. R.
Carmarthen) and soon after went to live adjacent to his father-in-law, Jenkin JONES, and
subsequently at Tregaron.He is described as "gentleman" and also as "yeoman" in various
Jenkin JONES is first found as a freeholder in the parish of LLanddewi Brefi, 16 Charles II.
(Subsidy Roll 243-44-Pennarth Hundred Cardiganshire.Public Record Office, London) and his
name appears as witness to the will of William GRIFFITH of Llanddewi Brefi (not of this family)
dated 20 July, 1704; proved 12 November, 1705.(File for 1705, P. R. Carmarthen).
The will fo Jenkin JONES "of Koedmawr in the County of Cardigan and of ye Parish of Llanddewi
Brevi in ye County aforesayd",* is dated 28 May, 1705, "wherein he doth give and devise, among
other things, unto William JENKINS and Griffith JONES (JOHNS) my two sons-in-law those two
houses in the Villge of Caron,* unto me belonging and also a great old hall in ye village now in
possession of Bartholomew EVANS and Margaret JOHNS, and also two gardens thereunto belonging,
to have and to hold ye same unto you and their heirs, until an absolute sale be made thereof towards
ye payment of my debts, not without ye consent of my brother John Jones."He gives to his son Evan,
of Llanddewi Brefi, who was also his heir at law entail male, L5.
The Inventory of Jenkin JONES'S personal estate, appraised by John Jon. HOWELL and David
JOHN, is dated 30 May 1705, which latter is clearly a clerical error for 1708, as the will is endorsed
by the Registrar as proved 1708, and is in the file for that year.(File for 1708 Carmarthen
Registry).A second endorsement on the will, in very false Latin and signed by the then Registrar
(Thomas POWELL), states in substance, that on 3 August, 1715, supplementary Letters
Testamentary, were issued to William JENKINS, the surviving Executor, the other Executor
named in the will (Griffith JOHN), having been proved dead some time before.There is an
indication that there was some litigation in the matter, amd from the documents in the case it seems
certain that Griffith JOHN died circa 1711, which agrees with the family statement.
Griffith JOHN removed to Tregaron (Caron) before his father-in-law's death and resided, for a time
at least, in one of the houses mentioned in the will, and there is no doubt whatever that the
Margaret JOHNS mentioned as being the tenant of one of these houses, was his wife and the
daughter of Jenkin JONES, for we find in the Tregaron Register, that Angharad (i.e. Margaret),
daughter of Griffith JOHNS of Caron, was baptized there, 8 October, 1704 (Tregaron Parish
The will of Jenkin JONES of Koedmawr seems to prove conclusively that the wife of Griffith JOHNS
was alive 28 May 1705.
There is no record of her burial to be found at Tregron nor, in deed of her husband, who died circa
1711, so that they probably left Tregaron and returned to Llanddewi Brefi or Nantcwnlle, as
several records indicate, just prior to Griffith JOHN'S decease.*According to the family narrative
she died about the same time as her husband.
The record in the family is that the children of GriffithJOHN, after their father's decease, went to live
with their uncle, or uncles, their father's brothers.It appears , however, that John GRIFFITH, and
his sister Mauld,* were, for a time, placed with a distant relative, one Morgan THOMAS, of the
parish of Llanddewi Brefi,* probably before their parent's decease, for the purpose of learning
farming and dairy work, after the Welsh custom in those days, which was to send children from
home at an early age, in order that, being under discipline, they might better learn whatever
occupation they intended to follow, and also become more self-reliant.This Morgan THOMAS was a
member of the Society of Friends, and it was, doubtless, on this account, that we find John
GRIFFITH in membership with Friends immediately after his arrival in Pennsylvania, although his
brothers, William and Griffith, David JOHN and other kinsmen, were allied to the Baptist's Church,
to the tenets of which they had been educated after their father's decease.
Morgan THOMAS died 1712, and his will, dated 17th of 10th month, 1708, was proved 25 June,
1712.(File for 1712, P. R. Carmarthen).He leaves small bequests to John GRIFFITH and Mauld
After Morgan THOMAS died, John GRIFFITH appears to have lived with his uncle, either with his
great uncle David GRIFFITH, of Ty'n y Park (The Park Farm), or with his father's brothers, Hugh
JOHN and David JOHN.The several farms of these persons were adjacent, and the situation of the
valley in which they are situate produces the peculiar phenomenon mentioned by John GRIFFITH'S
grandson, viz: that theylived "in a valley, where daylight appeared as a reflection on the Western
The younger brothers undoubtedly lived with Hugh JOHN and David JOHN, adjacent to the
Non-conformist Chapel of their kinsman, Rev. David EDWARDS, and William GRIFFITH was
one of the appraisers of the estate of Rev. David EDWARDS, 24 December, 1716, with his uncle,
Hugh JOHN, who was also one of the witnesses to the will.(See additional particulars under Notes
on John GRIFFITH, William GRIFFITH and Griffith GRIFFITH).
Griffith John GRIFFITH had issue by Margaret, his wife:
William, born near the conjunction of the ancient boundaries of the parishes of Nangcwnlle,
Llanddewi Brefi and Trevilan, in the County of Cardigan, South Wales. (See authorities cited supra).
He removed to Pennsylvania with his brothers John and Griffith, and ultimately settled in the
Townshop of Easttown or Eastown, in Chester County, where he died in or about the mounth of
February, 1790.He was a planter, and it is stated, a member of the Baptist Church.His wife's
name not ascertained.Like his brother, Griffith, and probably also John, he resided with his
uncle Hugh JOHN after his father's decease, about 1711, and with Hugh JOHNN, his name appears
in relation to the settlement of the estate of the Rev. David EDWARDS, a relative and neighbor, and
a Non-conformist minister, who died in 1716, (see supra).
John, born near the conjunction of the parishes of Nantcwnlle, Llanddewi Brefi and Trevilan, in the
County of Cardigan, South Wales, and removed to Pennsylvania with his brothers, William and
Griffith, after December, 1716.He settled, first in the Township of Newtown, Chester County,
where he was taxed in 1722;died in the township of East Nantmeal, in or about the month of
October, 1774.He early allied himself with the Society of Friends and became prominent among
them.in 1750 he removed to Wilmington, Delaware, from Goshen, and, 1754, he returned to
Goshen.*John GRIFFITH married, 31 August, 1734, being then of Uwchlan, Chester County,
Mary, daughter of Samuel and Margaret JOHN,* of the same place.She was born 19 December,
Griffith GRIFFITH, of whom presently.
Mauld,* living 17 December, 1708.
Margaret, baptized 8 October, 1704.
Rees, born 2 August, 1711.
*Transcript of Nantcwnlle Parish Register, (Diocesian Registry Carmarthen).This entry
was only deciphered after great difficulty, and the parchment roll is in such a decayed and
bare condition that it is impossible even for an exert to vouch for its absolute accuracy, or to
have the same officially confirmed or certified to.The original Register has been long lost,
and there are only a few years of return rolls of this parish at the Registry.With the aid of
a powerful glass and in a strong light the following was, however, deciphered:"Griff...ap
Joh...Gr...bap...daye Ap..." (presumablly 1674, but might be three or four years earllier).
The entries, being carelessly copied from the original, are much confused.
*As already explained, any of these designations simply indicate that his father's baptismal
name was John. whose sons would be called John. Johns, or Jones (Shones).
*He signs this document "Griffith JOHN" in a good hand.
*This is intended to mean Koedmawr in the Parish of Llanddewi Brefi, in the County of
*Tregarons, i.e., Tref Caron.
*Note that the Tregaron Regisgter is, in some parts, defective and most difficult, even for an
expert, to decipher.
*A most careful and altogether exhaustive search eas made at the Probate Registry for a will
or Administration of this Griffith JOHN, but without success.Nothing appearing in the
Indices; The Bundles were searched from 1705 to 1716 (to cover the known date when he
was dead).As, however, in time past, numbers of wills have been lost, it does not follow that
there was no such document.There are a number of similar cases.
*Nothing further has been discovered concerning her.She soubtless married and died in
*For notice of Samuel JOHN see Futhey and Cope's History of Chester County,
XV.Griffith GRIFFITH, 3rd son of Griffith John GRIFFITH* (signed statement by John, grandson
of John GRIFFITH, Griffith GRIFFITHS brother), was born on a farm near the conjunction of the
ancient bounds of the parishes of Nantcwnlle, Llanddewi Brefi and Trevilan, of which his family had
been freeholders for several generations.
As already stated, his parents lived for a time in the adjacent town of Tregaron, and, after the father's
death the children resided with their uncle, Hugh JOHN, whose lands, of which Cae Riced
probably formed a part, adjoin Ty'n y Park, then the property of David GRIFFITH, the great uncle of
Griffith GRIFFITHS, and Cae Maddock, a farm belonging to Rev. David EDWARDS, the
Non-conformist Minister, and were adjacent to Aber Meurig, also the property of the latter, and to
other lands of Hugh JOHN, a part of which, in Nantcwnlle but bordering on and perhaps then
extending into what is now the Chapelry of Bettws Leiki, then Llanddewi Brefi, is sitll called Allt
Hugh Shon, i.e.Hugh John's or Hugh Jones' Grove.
The peculiar situation of Hugh JOHNS' residence, and indeed, of a considerable part of the family
lands here, in a narrow valley, with high hills on the east, explains the statement of John GRIFFITH,
son of John, and Nephew to Griffith GRIFFITHS, who speaks of the family home "in Cardiganshire
in a valley where daylight first appeared as a reflection on the western mountains," visible through
the passes to the West.
Adjacent to Hugh JOHN and David GRIFFITH of Ty'n y Park (The Park Farm), resided, as noted
above, Rev. David EDWARDS, the first Non-conformist (Baptist) minister in this neighborhood.He
was a man of considerable education and held large landed interests here.He first established a
Meeting House for Baptists at a cottage on his Aber Meurig farm, but later erected a Chapel at
Bettws Leiki.He died in 1716.
The familly of Griffith GRIFFITHS were not only related to, but intimate with Rev. David
EDWARDS,Hugh JOHN being one of the witnesses to his will, dated 18 July 1716; proved 19
November 1716, and his (Hugh JOHN'S) nephew William GRIFFITH (brother to Griffith
GRIFFITHS), appearing as assisting him in connection with the settlement of the estate, 24
December 1716.(File for 1716 P.R. Carmarthenn).
The early affiliation of Griffith GRIFFITHS and his brother, William, with the Baptists is thus
explained, whilst the brother John, brought up, as stated, by a Quaker, early attached himself to the
Society of Friends in which he continued a member during the remainder of his life.*
A Welsh Bible, now in the possession of Foster C. GRIFFITHSof Trenton, New Jersey, and
formerly the property of Griffith GRIFFITHS, and which contains a number of family records, bears
the autograph, under date of 1710, of one Richard WILLIAM ("hishand and pen, God save Queen
Ann and all her men"), who is presumed to have been the original owner, and from whom doubtless,
Griffith GRIFFITHS obtained it.This Richard WILLIAM has been positively identified, by his
signature attached as a witness to the will of Rees EVAN, of Llanddewr Brefi, dated 17 February
1704; proved 23 March 1704.(File for 1704 P.R. Carmarthen), as a neighbor of the Griffith
family, and a follower of Rev. David EDWARDS, who, doubtless, caused the distribution of these
Bibles in this neighborhood.
The tradition in the family is that about the year 1715, when Griffith was about sixteen or seventeen
years old, his uncle sent him one day with a tithe of wool to the "Parish Priest" (i.e. the Vicar), and
that a dispute arising, either regarding the correctness of the tithe, or perhaps, because of some
argument regarding Griffith's non-conformity, the Vicar threw the bags, or one of them, at his
(Griffith's) head, whereupon Griffith promptly struck him, and to escape the consequences, more
especially, it is said, his uncle's wrath, fled the county, was joined by his brothers, and sailed for
The "Parish Priest" mentioned was the Vicar of Llanddewi Brefi.That such an assult upon the Vicar
by young Griffiths actually took place at this time is unquestionably confirmed by a tradition to that
effect still current amongst the oldest inhabitants in this neighborhood.
Elijah GRIFFITHS, his grandson, who was born 1769, in his "Historical Biography of the Griffiths
Family", says that "Griffith Griffiths emigrated to this country from Wales, it is supposed, about
1715, when a youth of 16 or 17 years of age, also his two brothers, William and John Griffith, who
all settled in Chester County, Pennsylvania."The date of emigration, however, was after February,
1716 (old style).
Griffith GRIFFITHS settled first in Newtown Township, where he became a taxpayer in 1724 .
At this time Griffith GRIFFITHS was a member of the Great Valley Baptist Church, the congre-
gation of which was composed partly of persons from the neighborhood of his home in Wales.In
1726, however, "the following persons broke off from the Great Valley Church on account of their
change of sentiments concerning the Sabbath: Philip Davis (David), Lewis Williams, Richard
Edwards, Griffy Griffiths; and the next year (1727) William James.These five with their families
removed to French Creek in the aforesaid year.*"Here (French Creek) is a meeting house, 30 feet
by 22 feet, built in 1726 on a lot of one acre, the Gift of David Rogers.This congregation came to be
called Seventh Day Baptists."
Griffith GRIFFITHS married, 1722, Gwen, daughter of Evan THOMAS, and she was living 1770.
(Will Book B., Vol. 2,31, West Chester, Pennsylvania).
He died on his plantation in the Township of East Nantmeal Beford 16 October 1760.
Griffith GRIFFITHS had issue by Gwen, his wife:
Abel, born in Chester County, Pennsylvania, 25 April 1723, died there intestate, 4 February 1804.
He married, 1 January 1763 Marger Bramer ( Family Record), who died 13 April 1774.(Welsh
Bible Record), and 2dly, Mary (last name unknown).(Deed Book R. 2, 450, West Chester,
Pennsylvania).He had issue by his 1st wife only.In 1746, Abel GRIFFITH was of the Ephrata
Community of Lancaster County.A history of this community says that Israel SEYMOUR, his sister,
and "Abel GRIFFITH lived in the settlement for sometime, but because, according to their
allegations, they could not stand the confined way of living, they left it again."
Deed, 9 March 1763, David Rogers and Hannah his wife "out of Real Regard and Christion Love
which they bear towards the Seventh Day Baptist Church and Christian People of that
Denomination,"as well as for and in consideration of L 1-10-0, Pennsylvania money, paid by
Philip THOMASand the Abel GRIFFITH, who are at this time the appointed Deacons or Overseers
of the said Church or Society, a certain messuage and piece or lot of land situate in East Nantmeat
in the County of Chester, containing one acre of land, for the use of said Church.(Deed Book T, 98).
By Deed 4 January 1799, Abel GRIFFITH and Mary his (second) wife, conveyed unto Griffith
GRIFFITHS, eldest son of the said Abel, two tracts of land in East Nantmeal, Chester County,
one granted by Patent of the Proprietor, 20December 1759; the other by Samuel POTTS and
Benjamin JACOBS, by deed 19 May 1788.
William, of whom presently.
Evan, born 23 February, 1729.(Will of his father, Will Book D, Vol. 4, 278, West Chester ,Pa.).
"He became deranged early in life and died without issue."(Ms. Genealogy by Dr, Elijah
Mentioned in will of Philip DAVID of East Nantmeal, Chester County, proved 23 March 1747-48.
(See Codicil).Will dated 3 June 1742, Codicil 1 March 1747-18.Dan GRIFFITH, 4th son of
Griffith GRIFFITHS in his will of 20 August 1802, charged the remainder of his estate "with a
decent livelihood for their (his childrens) Uncle, Evan GRIFFITH during his natural life which I
order to be given him off my old plantation, where I now live."
Dan,* (will of his father, Will Book D. Vol. 4, 278, West Chester, Pa.).He was a planter, and one
of the Justices of the Court of Common Pleas, in East Nantmeal Township, Chester County, Penn-
sylvania, where he died in or about the month of August, 1802.In records he is often erroneously
described as "Daniel GRIFFITH."He was commissioned a Justice of the Peace, 31 March 1777,
and 28 May 1779, Caleb DAVIS,in reply to a request of the Council for an account of the Justices
in Chester County, furnished Timothy MATLACK, Secretary of the Council, a list of all persons
mentioned in the several Commissions of the Peace issued since the Revolution, in which list Dan
GRIFFITH is the 9th.He continued as a Magistrae for his County for a long time, and his
Commission is recorded at West Chester in Book 7, 67, anno 1784.He was one of the witnesses
to the will of William GRIFFITH, dated 23 May 1785; proved at West Chester, 6 February, 1790
(which see), and a deed dated 23 September 1788, Abel GRIFFITH and Mary his 2nd wife, to
Thomas POTTS, is witnessed by and acknowledged before Dan GRIFFITH, "one of the Justices of
the Court of Common Pleas for the County of Chester."(Office of Recorder of Deeds, West Chester,
Pennsylvania).In a deed 20 September 1785, James MOORE et al., to Levi GRIFFITH, he is
described as of East Nantmeal, "Esquire,"(Deed Book A2,1, West Chester, Pennsylvania).He
married Rebecca..., and had issue: Samuel, married Elizabeth HOWELL, had one daughter, and
died in New Orleans; David, died unmarried; Hannah, married James Kirkpatrick, and left 4 sons
and 2 daughters, Rebecca, and Rhoda, who married...Thomson, and left issue surviving.
Levi GRIFFITH, born 1738, described in a deed, 1785, as of West Nantmeal; married Elizabeth
EVANS, and had issue.
At the beginning of the Revolution, Levi GRIFFITH entered the Continental Army and served during
the entire War.He was commissioned Ensign 8 January, 1776, in Captain Persifor's Company, of
the Pennsylvania Battalion, Colonel Anthony Wayne commanding.He was in the Fifth
Pennsylvania Regiment, Continental Line, promoted from Ensign to Second Lieutenant, promoted to
Lieutenant,ranking from January, 1777, and in a re-arrangement of the Fifth Regiment (Regulars).
17 January 1781, Levi GRIFFITH is mentioned as Lieutenant, having been formerly Ensign, Forth
Battalion.The Forth Battalion was recruited principally in Chester County.At the close of the War
he became a member of the Society of the Cincinnati, and his signature for the subscription of one
month's pay, is attached to the Roll of the Pennsylvania Association.His name appears on the
Pension List for Pennsylvania, under the Act of 24 March 1812.Levi GRIFFITH died in Fayette
County, Pennsylvania, 30 January 1825, aged 87 years.(See his father's will, Will Book D, Vol. 4,
pg 278, West Chester, PA, Genealogy by Elijah GRIFFITHS, Pennsylvania in the Revolution,
Battalions and Line, 1775-1783, State Printer, Harrisburg, 1880 (W. H. Egle, M.D.), Vol.1, pgs 121,
535, 534, 537. Facsimile at end of Vol. 11.,Pension List, Pennsylvania, Vol. 11, pg 761).For
documents relating to his estate and descendants, see Appendix.
Amos GRIFFITH, in Will of Griffith GRIFFITHS, (Codicil 3 July 1754), he says: "As concerning my
son Amos GRIFFITHSthat now lives with his Uncle David JOHN; under some expectation of
reward, &c., it is my will concerning him that if the said David JOHN shall give to my son Amos
answeral or equivalent to ye share of one of my younger children then if so I give him only two
shillings and sixpence."Amos remained with David JOHN, and was the devisee of his real estate, as
appears by the will of the latter, then of New Britain in the County of Bucks, dated 1 August 1771;
proved 26 August 1778, (Will Book 4,pg 1, Doylestown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania).
Amos GRIFFITH left no issue, and by will proved 26 November 1812, devised his estate to his
nephew, Dr. Amos GRIFFITHS, son of his brother, Abel.
Rebecca GRIFFITH, married John HOWELL, of Bucks County, and had issue: Sarah, married Abel
MATTHIAS, of Hilltown Township, Bucks County; Elizabeth, married Samuel GRIFFITH; Ann,
married Jesse Humphries.
XVII. William Wells GRIFFITH, eldest son of William GRIFFITH, was born in East Nantmeal
Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania, before 1756.He died in 1832 in Caldwell County,
Kentucky. (His will was dated 11 April 1831).
Wells emigrated when he was about 21 years of age to the district of Ninety-Six (Spartanburg) in
South Carolina, early in the American Revolution and, according to Dr. Elijah GRIFFITHS, "there
married and in conjunction with his father-in-law carried on iron works."
In 1 August 1783, Wells and his wife Elizabeth purchased from Colonel William WOFFORD 200
acres of property on both sides of Lawson's Fork on the Pacelot River, including a mill seat deemed
to be in Tryon County, North Carolina.This was part of the property on which the WOFFORD Iron
Works was located.(The iron works was destroyed in the early 1780's by the Loyalists of western
South Carolina during the siege of Charleston).
Wells and Elizabeth also held other propery on the North side of Lawson's Ford, from a 21 January
1785 grant to Wells by Gov. Benjamin GUERARD.
Elizabeth's parantage is not certain, but circumstantial evidence suggests her father was William
Shortly after the Revolution, Wells revisited Chester County, Pennsylvania and returned with his
younger brother, Eli GRIFFITH.The family remained in South Carolina until about 1797, then
moved to Christian County, Kentucky.
Between the years 1799 and 1808, Wells obtained about 1200 acres of property in Christian and
Livingston Counties as part of the Kentucky Land Grants.*In his will, Wells gave 203 acres to son
Jeptha, 400 acres to daughter Betsey GOODWIN and a 300 acre tract that he lived on to son
William Wells GRIFFITH had issue by Elizabeth, his wife:
Sarah, born4 June 1799, Spartanburg, SC, died 15 February 1846, Tuscaloosa County, Alabama;
married Peter L. Burnes, 10 March 1800, Christian County, KY.*Peter Burnes was born 16 March
1775, in North Carolina and died 17 November 1846.Issue of Peter and Sarah:
Benjamin Franklin BURNES (BARNES), born 6 October 1813, Christian County, Kentucky;
died 31 July 1878, Limestrone County, Texas; married Mary Louisa GATES.
William GRIFFITH, born abt 1781, Spartanburg, South Carolina; married Miriam JENNINGS,
daughter of John JENNINGS, 15 March 1803, Christian County, Kentucky.*About 1820, William
removed with his brothers John and Hiram to Monticello Township, Lawrence County, Mississippi.
Phebe GRIFFITH, born abt 1783, spartanburg, South Carolina; married James JENNINGS, son of
John JENNINGS, 14 July 1803, Christian County, Kentucky.*Phebe and James had 10 children:
Ned, Garrett Samuel, John, Polly, Nancy (married Tarlton ROTTON, 20 July 1813), Lewis, Issac,
Elizabeth (married John H. BUSH, 16 March 1815), Damey and Mahala (married William L.
Pettyjohn, 11 July 1813).
John GRIFFITH, born abt 1785, Spartanburg, South Carolina; married Polly jennings, daughter of
John JENNINGS, 8 March 1808, Christian County, Kentucky.*Moved to Lawrence County,
Mississippi in 1820.
Mary "Polly" GRIFFITH, born 24 June 1789, Spartanburg, South Carolina; died 23 Seotember 1858,
Trigg County, Kentucky.The family is buried in Cerulean District, Trigg County, Kentucky, in
Pleasant Hill orGoodwin Cemetery.Polly and Samuel had seven children:Grandison Griffith
GOODWIN, Harrison W. GOODWIN, William GOODWIN, Martha M. GOODWIN, Pernecia
GOODWIN, Mary Jane GOODWIN, and Augustine N. GOODWIN.
Henry W. GRIFFITH, born abt 1790, Spartanburg, South Carolina.
Hiram GRIFFITH, born 5 July 1791, Spartanburg, South Carolina; married [Icy] Miriam [Phoena]
[Moten] FOUNTAIN, born 18 February 1796, died 5 July 1834.
Winfrey Dan GRIFFITH,* born abt 1792, Spartanburg, South Carolina, married Margaret ROTAN,
born 1794 or 1795, South Carolina, daughter of William ROTAN, abt 1815 or 1816.
As of the Thomas Allen Glenn Report, primary evidence has not yet been located that definitely
establishes Dan, Baptized Dan which is not a nickname, Dan being a Biblical name distinct
from Daniel, as a son of William Wells GRIFFITH.However, significant evidence places Dan with
Well's family throughout their migration from South Carolina to Kentucky.In his will, Wells leaves
a portion of the family farm to his son Winfrey.However, no census, tax. probate or other records
can be found for a Winfrey GRIFFITH.Dan GRIFFITH is listed in two of the original land grants
to Wells and shows up on Christian County, Kentucky tax rolls in 1813, (the year he would have
turned 21), immediately following the entry for Wells and again in 1816.Dan is further linked to
Well's family by the birth of his first son, William Rotan GRIFFITH in 1817, Kentucky, and the
second son he named Wells.It is the opinion of Lewis G. GRIFFITHand this author that Dan is, in
fact, the Winfrey Dan GRIFFITH listed in the Will of Wells GRIFFITH.
****See Robert D. Griffith on this forum***
Elizabeth "Betsy" GRIFFITH, born 1802, Christian County, Kentucky; married John F. "Bully"
GOODWIN, son of Jesse and Susanna (HOWARD) GOODWIN , 24 September 1818, Caldwell
County, Kentucky.The family moved to Weakley County, Tennessee, then returned to Kentucky.
Betsy and John had two daughters:Sally E. GOODWIN, born 1824, Tennessee, and Julia
GOODWIN, born 1827, Kentucky.
Jeptha GRIFFITH, born 11 November 1804, Christian County, Kentucky; died 1865, Caldwell
County, Kentucky; will proved 10 July 1865.Married #1, Nancy HERRELL, 10 March 1821,
Caldwell County, Kentucky; #2, Asanath GRIFFITH, his first cousin, daughter of Eli GRIFFITH,
12 February 1825, Caldwell County, Kentucky.Jeptha and Asanath had seven children:William
GRIFFITH, born 1826, died abt 1870,married Mildred Permelia GREER; Bartlett C. GRIFFITH,
born 1828; died 1880, married Frances P. McCONNELL; Franklin W. GRIFFITH, born 1830, died
1875, married Mary Jane GOODWIN;Percecia R, GRIFFITH, born 1834, married Jilian W.
WHITE; Eli GRIFFITH, born 1838, married Margaret CLARK; Virginia P. GRIFFITH, born 1842,
married Purington ROSCO; Ann Elizabeth GRIFFITH, born 1845, married William WHITE.
There many more Griffiths, about 30 pages, but this is to show the work done on the report you've heard about with the hope that you may find a connection and that you verify and double check before you trust it to records.
Barbara Anne Hearne