1. I believe the name you are searching is actully Gröger not Groger.This may seem silly , but you must remember that the German ö = oe, there for some records may list your Gr-Grandfather as Josef Groeger
2. The reason I believe this about the spelling of the name is that my Gr-Grandfather Gröger lived in the same region. The region is known by many names, but during that period it was considered Austrian Silesia.This should not be confused with the Silesia across the current Czech/Polish boarder(Polish side).
3. Some names that may be of use are:
Thomasdorf, Austria is now Domasov, Czech Republic.
Freiwaldau, Austria is now Jesenik, Czech Republic.
Ober-Lindeweise, Austria is now Lipova-lázne, Czech Republic.
4. Freiwaldau and Ober-Lindeweise must have been towns civil importance because I have seen these names on a couple of documents.
5. It is very difficult to get records for that region.
6. We may have a connection between our families.My Gr-Grandfather was born in Thomasdorf in 1883 and came to the US in 1902 via Bremerhaven, Gremany.He married a Kriegisch from Böhmischdorf, Silesia, Austria.Since the region is so small and the name and dates are the same there is a good possibility that our Gr-Grandfather were somehow related.
I think we may be able to help each other.What other information do you have on your Gr-Grandfather?