"May 25 #26 [in 1788] Johann Hegemann and Anna Aemilia Brafiel proclaimed.Witnesses: Mark Brafiel. Henrich Born. Satte. . . [?] [worn away]"
Source: Special Publication No. 38, "Records of Marriages and Burials in the Monocacy Church in Frederick County, Maryland, and in the Evangelical Lutheran Congregation in the City of Frederick, Maryland, 1743-1811," translated and edited by Frederick Sheely Weiser, published by The National Genealogical Society, Washington, D.C., 1972, page 57.
Despite the implications in the name, there is only one set of records and the heading on every left hand page is "Records of Frederick, Maryland Evangelical Lutheran Church." The intro explains that the first church was located where the earliest settlers came to the valley of the Monocacy River, "somewhere near Jimtown."
"In 1746 the Lutherans and very likely the Reformed began to worship also in the new village of 'Fredericktown.' Within a few decades there is only occasional references to the mother church . . . and presently the site was completely abandoned. . . ." Thus, it does not sound like the Monocacy church existed in 1788, at least not in these church records. There were other churches in the Monocacy area, but they had their own records, not the book published above. And, even this could not be construed as Hagerstown because the Monocacy area lies east of the present-day border between Washington and Frederick Counties, per "Pioneers of Old Monocacy."
Johann and Aemelia were married by proclaimation which means that their intent to marry was proclaimed three times prior to this. Does this mean that they were located in an area where the church met 3 times in a periodic fashion, or that they were too far from Fredericktown to obtain a license? We do not know.
Amelia's brother John Baptist Brayfield witnessed the marriage on 27 March 1785 of Pery Evans and Deby Selby "residing on Bushcrick" which could be a clue to their location. [Page 42 of above book] Brother Sam. Brafiel witnessed a marriage on 20 December 1787 which was by license, thus the parties lived close enough to Frederick to go to the court house. [Page 55]
Amelia's father Mark Brayfield received the tract Hickory Swamp on 27 November 1788. Neither this instrument nor the deed when it was sold by his heirs identify its location in Allegany County past the metes and bounds marked by trees. Thomas Mackelfish purchased this tract from widow Elizabeth Brayfield and Simon Houser in 1805. Tracing the Mackelfish family, which became McElfresh in records, the later censuses show them residing in District 9 of Allegany County, and in 1860 the post office is shown as Flintstone. This is the same area where Amelia and her 2nd husband James Blair (married 1795) owned land (and presumably resided) which we can pinpoint because it references the creek and MD/PA county line. A study of the deeds would be needed to determine if the McElfresh family still resided on the land deeded them by the Brayfield heirs.
Thus, the Flintstone area is our best guess of the location of Amelia's father, at least 2 months after her marriage. They could easily have been in the Frederick area or "Bushcrick" when she married. Has anyone traced the precise location of Johann Hegemann either before or after his marriage?
Lastly, they could not have married in "Hagerstown" because in 1788 there was no place named Hagerstown. Wikipedia shows the history of this town which was known as Elizabethtown until 1813.