Helynn Carrier has now been dead for at least 4 years.It is now long since time to put "Her" William BACK where he belongs as I first told her he belonged there when we met by phone in 1998. She was against that placement as son of John and Rachel Shepherd Harrod for three reasons (but the biggest reason of all which she never said but only implied was because Susan Atkins had correctly placed her William here--she was so against Atkins that she didn't think Atkins could get anything right).
These reasons are:
1) Birthdate does not match birthdate listed in the pension papers or Rachel Henton's notebook.(My refutation was the conversion to New Time and we descendants of William's brother Thomas do not use the birthdate in Rachel Henton's notebook, but use the one his son used for him (New Time).
William's birthdate is off the wrong direction--12 days should have been subtracted and some people also added a year, William's "conversion" in dates was not correct but Thomas's was.
2) She was badgered into placing the ancestor of the Bartholomew County Herods here by a descendant, a descendant whose sole justification for the placement when speaking to him by phone was "Well, where else would he go?" I will now tell that family where they do go--William's father is the William Harwood and Mary Pendleton. The son William was born in Warwick Co., VA, in c. 1764-5, died in Bartholomew Co., IN end of Nov or beginning of Dec. 1834. His son John was the administrator and finished the administration of the estate 10 Aug 1836 (Court Records of Bartholomew County, 1822-1852).William's son William was a famous lawyer and Senator from Indiana.
William Herod had a brother Edward with whom he divided the estate from his father. William son of John and Rachel Shepherd Harrod has no brother Edward.No Harrods of the family of John lived in Warwick Co, or Louisa Co, VA, where the William ancestor of the Bartholomew County Harrods married his cousin Ann (Nancy) White 17 Jun 1792.
The family relationships, places lived, and spelling of name as Herod, which he took after a family of Harrods he knew living in KY, all prove that THIS WILLIAM IS NOT THE SON OF JOHN HARROD AND RACHEL SHEPHERD AS LISTED IN HELYNN CARRIER'S MANUSCRIPT, and all files based on that need to be corrected.
3) She always believed his father was a Samuel, though I never figured out why. She said a Samuel Harrod got land from Clark's Grant in Indiana and her William had land there so she thought there must be a connection.However her william had land in Clark's Grant because he bought it as recorded in the deeds in Jeffersonville published in a book, copy of which is in the Lebanon City library, IN, and other libraries. A William Harrod did get land in Clar's Grant but that was for service under Clark and that William was the full brother of the James Harrod who founded Harrodsburg, KY, and was the Col. in charge of the Fort at the later Louisville, KY. He retired to Bracken County, KY, to live by his son William.
To sum up so far: None of Helynn's objections to my (and Atkins, Swainson's and Kathryn Mason's) placement of "Her" William hold up and the William Herod who moved from KY to Bartholomew Co., IN, IS NOT THE SON OF JOHN AND RACHEL SHEPHERD HARROD.
My reasons for "HER" William being placed back as son of John and Rachel Shepherd Harrod are:
1) Atkins, Swainson, and Kathryn Mason all placed him there.
Atkins in a surprising bit of accuracy, made sure that she distinguished all the Harrods descended from James and Elizabeth Stewart Harrod (who were rich and her primary customers for her book) from all other Indiana Harrods.
She wrote a whole chapter on William in her "Hereward Records and Papers". 2. In a newspaper clipping referred to in Susan Atkins notes (many of which are in the Indiana Historical Building on Ohio Street in Indianapolis, IN, of which she was a resident) has reference to a newspaper article about the church the Harrods belonged to which used to have a functioning cemetery society which met every year--it was one of these meetings the article which I have seen was about, had William associated with a John and a Mary. Notes written in supposedly from a later promised installment of the ongoing history and genealogy discussed at these meetings stated Mary was a sister, not a wife of William and John (who was a Minister and witness to William's Revolutionary War service pension application) was a brother. Now it so happens that William son of John and Rachel Shepherd Harrod HAS a sister Mary and a son John.
3. Helynn's William was nephew to the James who founded Harrodsburg with whom he spent some time living and they were arrested for moonshining. He was also nephew to James's older half-brother Thomas who married Hannah, giving testimony as to Thomas's wife's name and children's names in the house of Evan Shelby (2nd husband of Mary Harrod, who would be his aunt) according to the Scott Papers for the famous Harrod Heirs vs. Harrod Heirs case in Mercer Co., KY. There are only 3 Williams who can be nephew to these three people, they are:
William son of John and Rachel Shepherd Harrod born 1765
William son of William of Bracken Co., KY born 1773
William son of Levi Harrod, birthdate, I do not have.
William son of William lived Bracken co., KY and his life is relatively well documented and he is too young.
Samuel had no children and was never married as is supported by the Draper Manuscripts 37J169-174.
William son of Levi moved to Ohio and his father eventually settled there too. William and his brother Levi never lived in Indiana and their lives in OH are documented enough to know this is not Helynn's William.
That leaves William as son of John and Rachel Shepherd, born the correct year even if the surviving records do not agree on the exact day of birth. Also his birth is listed in Berkeley Co., VA, where his father John was supposedly living before he inherited land in PA at his father's death. I have often seen this fact published but have yet to see land grants or tax payment records or the like supporting it. And said William does have a sister Mary and a brother John, and no brother Edward.