There is much wrong (and uncorrectable) information on the internet about Adam Hartzell, his wife Christina Sink, and their children. For the life of Adam Hartzell, and links to maps, pictures and backup information, see my web page at
That web page includes the following to correct discrepancies that originated mostly from the "Hartzell Ancestral Line":
1. The name was spelled "Hartzell" in the 1816 letter from Jonas Hartzell to his brother Philip Hartzell (Adam's father).
2. Christina did not also go by "Sarah". Sarah was the wife of Adam Hartzell of Forks Township, Northampton County, VA. This Adam is the one in the 1790 PA Census.
3. Adam did not have a son named Jonas. Jonas was the son of Adam & Sarah Hartzell of Forks Township.
4. In Franklin County, VA, Adam did not live at Rocky Mount. He lived due west of Boones Mill and due north of Algoma in the Blackwater River Valley.
5. Adam did not marry a second wife Mary Spiekard in 1821 in Ohio. In the "Marriage Book, Montgomery County", there is "Marriage of Hutzel, Adam to Mary Spickard Aug. 10, 1826".
6. Adam's son David (my ancestor) did not marry Margaret Nieval in 1830. It was David Hetzel, born 1806 in Berks Co. PA, son of John and Catharina (Thomas) Hetzel. Adam's son David married Barbara Nipp in 1836, Connersville, Indiana.
7. Adam did not have a son George who married Margaret Yaughey in 1834 in Montgomery County, OH. It was a different George who was born in 1812 in Ohio before Adam's family arrived in 1815. Through Y-DNA 46-marker tests, I differ from a descendant of this George by 3 markers. I match exactly to a descendant of Adam's son John.
8. I have a scenario that Adam's unnamed second youngest son born about 1802 VA may have been named Daniel.
9. Adam Hartzell died 30 Aug. 1833 in Ellerton, Ohio, perhaps in the cholera epidemic.
Please email me if you have corrections to my information.