The village was mentioned as Hasbruc in 1122. Haesbroeck made centuries part of the County of Flanders. Due to its location – between France and Flanders in-it was long disputed area. It was plundered by the Ghent in 1436 and burned by the French in 1492. The unsafe situation led to much emigration. Numerous Belgians still wear the name # or # variant "Of Haesebroeck". It was finally in 1678 by the French King Louis XIV conquered from the southern Netherlands, who then were in Spanish hands. Between 1790 and 1826 it was the seat of the arrondissement of Hazebroek, that the southern part of the present arrondissement of Dunkirk. Hazebroek was Flemish (= Dutch) speaking up in the 20th century.