Children of MARTIN HENKES AND ANNA "CATHERINE" KUHN:
1. ADAM (Big Adam) married ELIZABETH CLAUS (Sister of Albert Kishmans'mother=Martha Claus. Children: A. FRANK (a foundling-a child of unknown parentage. Married: Children: A. HAROLD of Vermilion,Ohio
2. YOST (AUGUST OR JUSTUS) married CATHERINE. Children: A. JOHNmarried ANNIE a. Josie b. Janie c. Lee d. Ed e. Jessie
B. CHARLES (Never married)
C. LOUIS married IDA ROTH a. Oscar b. Albert c. Mabel d. Clarence e. Lester f. Edna g. Irene h. Everette
D. SIMEON (or SAM)
E. EDmarriedHANNAH a. Wilbur b. Marian
3. JOHN MELCHIOR HENKES Born: 12 Dec. 1831 Hesian Castle Germany Married: 25 March 1855 (Went to Wagner twp.,Section 4 Old Homestead,Clayton co.,Iowa-from Ohio. Died: 4 Jan.1915 (age 83yrs.& 22dys.) while living with daughter Martha. Buried: Monona Cemetery-Monona,Iowa Congregational Church John came to America in 1849 when he was age 17. The trip took six weeks. John was known as Industrious and honest; of strict integrity of Character. He would stand for what he thought was right. His funeral services were held on a Thursday at 2:00 p.m. Rev.Glasser(?)of the Evangelical Church officiating in the German language and Rev. Meek of the Congretational church of Monona speeking in English.Both were fitting and impressive.The choir sang several beautiful slections,chosen by the family. Floral designs beautiful. Mr. Henkes chose those whom he wished to per- form the last neighborly service of bear- ing his body to the last earthly habita- tion.They were old friends and neighbors Messers AdamEibel,Fred Witl,Charley Miller,Frank Jarmes, Henry Neibauer, and Nicholas Melcher.His memory was honored by a large attendance who came to pay thislast tribute of respect.He was laid to rest beside his wife in Monona Cemetery. This information was written by David Henkes, John Henkes's nephew.
JOHN MELCHIOR HENKES married MARTHA ELIZABETH DIETZ. She died June of 1912. Their children are:
A. HENRY HENKES Born: 5 Feb. 1856 Wagner twp. Clayton Co.,Iowa. Died: 14 April 1932 Buried: Gooding Cemetery,Wagner twp., Clayton Co.,Iowa Married: 18 May 1881 to FANNY E. MOON
FANNY E. MOON Born: 25 Dec. 1862 Wagner twp.Clayton Co.,Iowa. Daughter ofOrville Moon & Sarah Frisbee. Died: 2 July 1929
HENRY HENKES AND FANNY E.MOONs Children were: a. MONROE HENKES Born: 16 Dec. 1882 Died: 18 July 1938 Buried:Monona Cemetery,Monona,Ia. Married: 1910 to LOUISE WAGNER Their children were: 1. Alberta 2. Rolland 3. Alton 4. Marietta Scheffert 5. Helen Krambeer 6. Vernis 7. Calvin b. CLARA HENKES Born: 7 July 1885 Died: 24 Dec. 1949 Buried: Gooding Cemetery,Wagner twp., Clayton Co.,Iowa. Married: JOHN KRAMBEER Their children: 1. Harold 2. Edna 3. Lester 4. Kenneth 5. Myron 5. Lucille McNally 6. Lorene Neverman 7. Irma Meyer 8. Gerald 9. Burnell 10. Verdell 11. Idhe b.CORA HENKES Born: 13 Jan. 1887 Died: 15 July 1941 Buried:Gooding Cemetery Married: FRED KURTH Their children: 1. Dale 2. Virgil C. ALMA HENKES Born: 12 March 1889 Died: 6 Sept.1915 (She committed Suicide by hanging herself). Buried:Gooding Cemetery,Wagner twp., Clayton Co.,Iowa. Married:FRED KURTH Their children: 1. Irene Dorcas 2. Eldon
D. MARTHA HENKES Born: 5 Feb.1891 Died: 4 April 1891 (almost 2mo.old). Buried:Gooding Cemetery,Wagner twp., Clayton Co.,Iowa.
E. LOTTIE HENKES Born: 3 May 1892 Died: 30 May 1972 Buried:Gooding Cemetery 1st Marriage: JOE RUSSELL Their children: 1. Lloyd 2. Glen 2nd Marriage:FRED KURTH
F. EMMA HENKES Born: 2 Nov.1894 Died: 17 Sept.1896 (almost 2 yrs.old) Buried:Gooding Cemetery,Wagner twp., Clayton Co.,IOwa.
G. HOWARD HENKES Born: 7 Sept.1900 1st. Marriage: FRANCIS THOMPSON Died: 16 Dec. 1929 Two Children: 1. Marginelle 2. Verdine 2nd.Marriage: FREIDA KOOPMAN Their children: 1. Howard jr. 2. Claison 3. Maurice 4. Dale
In 1880 Henry Henkes purchased the 240 Acre farm from his father John Melchoir Henkes.In 1904 a new barn was built. In 1910 when Monroe was married the Farm was divided between the 2 sons Monroe and Howard. Howard with his parents took the North half with parents Henry and Martha and new buildings were erected. Monroe stayed on the original Homestead.
B. CHARLES HENKES Married: CLARA DECKER Their Children: 1. Delbert 2. John 3. Arthur 4. Jessie 5. Henry 6. Clarence 7. Mary 8. Mildred 9. Adopted-Gladys Charles went to Canora, Canada.
C. HELEN HENKES Married:HERMAN KOTH Their children: 1. Ross 2. Flossie 3. Irvie 4. Roy 5. Vern 6. Hazel 7. Ruth
D. MARTHA HENKES Married: LEONARD SEBASTIAN of Cresco, Howard Co.,Iowa. Their children: 1. Leslie 2. Cora married Mr.Craft of Cresco,Ia. She was a friend to Clara (Morch) White.
E. MINA HENKES Married: S.G. BAUGHMAN Children: 1. Leo 2. Imo
F. CATHERINE (KATE) HENKES Married:FRED KOTH of Monona,Iowa Children: 1. Abbie 2. Harry
G. MELVIN HENKES Married:BARBARA S.WALTER Children: 1. Gladys 2. Ruby 3. Dayton 4. Fred (Freddie) 5. Marie 6. Harry 7. Lennis 8. Dennis There was something on the page also: VIZ (don't know what that was pertain- ing to-another child?)
John Melchior Henkes was raised in a home of religious faith "Reformed Church ofGermany;but he also supported the Evangel- ical Church where he lived the greater part of his life.
Johns parents (Martin & Catherine) came to America about one year after him. They first settled in Brownhelm Twp.,Ohio,near Cleveland and lived there for 4 years or until 1854.
In 1855 They came to Clayton Co.,Iowa to Wagner twp.,the old homestead. He and his wife lived there until 1894 and then moved to Monona,Iowa. After his wife died he waslonely and lived with his children. Shortly after she died he went to Los Angeles to stay for awhile with his daughter Mina for abt.9 months.
ALL OF JOHN M. HENKES DESCENDANTS CAN APPLY FOR A PIONEER CERTIFICATE.
3. GUS (AUGUST-JUSTUS)HENKES 3 Marriages: 1st Marriage: Unknown Children by First: ANNA SARAH HENKES 1st Marriage: Will Moon 2nd.Marriage: Mr.Rupp Children: Mabel,Jessie,Ira,Gus,Leo, Herb and Flossie 2nd wife: SOPHIA BRINKMAN (she was Flossie Schienelbeins grandma) Children: 1. Matilda married Herman Harnack 2. Margaret married James Spencer 3. Hattie married Henry Harnack 4. George married: Effie Koth 3rd wife: DORA DRAHN 1. Arthur married Mabel Siegle a. Carol b. Foster c. Wanda d. Clare 2. Ella Dorothy Henkes married August W. Meyer and had one child: 1. Helen 3. Seward or Sevard married: Mabel Davis. 1. Adopted one girl: Geraldine 4. Clara Henkes married Ernest Walter Their children: 1. Victor 2. Dorothy 3. Maloy 4. Clarion 5. Phyllis 6. Florence 7. Eugene There was no mention of Phyllis or Eugene at the Plymouth Indiana Family ReUnion August of 1970. 5. Effie Henkesmarried Ed Fuelling Children: 1. Carl or Carle 2. LeRoy or Roy 3. Evelyn 4. Allison 5. Robert (no mention of Robert at the 1970 reunion either.
4. ELIZABETH(or Anna Elizabeth) HENKES Born: 17 July 1834 Hessian Castle,Germany. Died: 15 April 1905 Married:John Sheppard Children: 1. Harriet 2. Justus 3. John 4. Lizzie 5. William (twin of Sophia) 6. Sophia (twin of William) 7. George 8. Addie 9. Levi (twin of Eli) 10. Eli (twin of Levi)
6. ADAM (LITTLE ADAM) Married:Christina Yearous Children: William Henry; Hattie; Elias (died at 5 mo.); Sophia (died as infant; David; Celia; Raymond (died at 19 months); Benjamin (died age 19); Cyrus.
A CORRECTION: Catherine Kuhn was born Hessian Castle Germany also. I did not list all the children of Martin Henkes and Anna Catherine Kuhn in the First Posting.Sorry!