Paulus Dirckse(Dirckszen) was born son of Dirck Hoff in Luttenborg, Netherlands about 1620. Paulus married Geertie Williamse (b. 1622 Netherlands) and issued son Dirrick Pauluszen (b. 1649 Netherlands) and daughter Elisabeth Paulusz (b. 1650 Netherlands and later married
Volkert Hendricks Briers6-4-1695 in Brooklyn ).Paulus,Geertie,Dirrick and Elisabeth
embarked Amsterdam6-30-1650 sailing on the New Netherlands ship - Fortune - , disembarking eleven days short of six months later at New Amsterdam12-19-1650.
Paulus settled under aegis of Baron van der Capelle , then owner of Staten Island. After
Geertie died in New Amsterdam about 1653 , Paulus married Jannetje Jannse ( b. circa 1630 Almelo,Netherlands ) and issued one daughter.Sometime after the 9/15--18/1655
Indian massacre of the Staten Island settlers, Paulus relocated to Fort Orange. Before Christmas 1662 Paulus had again relocated , to Brooklyn ( Kings County) , and joined the
Dutch Reformed Church there. Paulus died in 1692 in Brooklyn.
Dirrick Pauluszen ( Hoff ) married Aeghie Teunnise Covert (b. Heemstede,Netherlands) sometime after 1664 and issued five sons, including one set of twins. After Aeghie's death , Dirrick married Sarah Williamse Yeats (b. 1660 Flushing, Queens County). They lived in Jamacia, Queens Co. and had five childernWillem (b. 4-20-1685) , Dirck (b. 8-29-1686) ,
Sara (b. 4-27-1688) , Thomas (b. 4-6-1690) , and Jan (b. 4-27-1688). Dirrick and wife Sarah then relocated to Flushing, Queens Co. about 1694 and had sons Charles (b. 1697 ) and Joesph (b. 1700) . About 1702 Dirrick and Sarah settled Maidenhead ( Lawrencevile), New Jersey , and Derrick selected his grandfathers last name - Hoff - since it then was required by England that all Dutch in America adopt Englands system of Surname. Dirrick was one of the original settlers at Maidenhead and there issued two additional childern by Sarah -
Benjamin (b. 1702)and Mary (b. 1704). Two years before death in 1730 at Maidenhead Dirrick purchased " Cherry Grove", which property today is the estate of Dr. Werner Lambert , owner of Lambert Pharmaceuticals ( Listerine ).
Joseph (Hoff) Huff (b. 1700 , Queens Co. , N.Y.) son of Dirrick Pauluszen, traveled north in New Jersey 20 - 22 miles to Somerset County. He obtained land in vicinity of Neshanic Station and on the Raritan River , an area where people of Dutch decent were particularly numerous. There Joseph married Catherine Craig who is indicated to have been 40 years his junior. Catherine gave birth6-16-1759 to thier only known sonMoses. Joseph was a well-to-do blacksmith and died in the state 12-4-1769. Catherine legally denounced " all right and title - she had "to the administration of the estate " of Joseph and thereby did " refuse to take upon" herself " the trouble" She signed such document12-6-1769 in the presence of her father Moses Craig and James Graham. Cathrine presumably did not remarry , as it is indicated she and son Moses lived with her father Moses Craig and his other four childern , all six being mentioned in his will . It is recorded that the next younger brother of Catherine also was named Moses.
Moses( Huff) Hough
Born June 16 1759
inSomerset Co. N.J.
Moses volunteered for Revolutionary War Service in the New Jersey Militia and marched through New Jerset and parts of New York. He was at the Battle of Monmouth under Col.Hunt , Maj. Lynnand Capt. William Logan.Moses at age 73 particularly remembered6/28/1778 during the Battle of Monmouth as exceeding hot and that he was marched to Hightstown the same evening after the battle. He served in a regiment under Gen. Washington in one unit on the front near the British lines in and about Brunswick , Morristown , Hackensack , South Amboy , Woodbridge , Newark and Monmouth . Moses was not mustered out of service for nearly two years after he entered, spending the latter part of his service irregularly ( sometimes on duty and sometimes at home but always under the command of his officers ) , and never recieved a written discharge.
Moses married Elizabeth HandleyApril 16th 1780 in Burlington Co. New Jersey. About 1782 they traveled southwest 160 - 180 miles through Maryland , crossing the Potomac River into Virginia and the vicinity of Leesburg ( Loudoun Co. seat ) . Here his oldest child Moses C. was born about 1783 , here also believed Moses served his blacksmith apprenticeship.
That Moses began working independently as a blacksmith in 1787 or early 88' is indicated by Leesburg records of6-10-1788 , 4-15-1789 , 4-14-1790 and7-11-1791.Meanwhile Moses and Elizabeth had 3 more childernWilliam , Joseph , and John.
It was during this1782- 91'period in Leesburg when the spelling of Moses' surname changed from Huff to Hough , to the folowing circumstances. Charles Binns , county recorder for nearly fifty years commencing about 1755 , was friend of very wealthy John Hough Jr. ( from the Bucks County , Pennsylvania Hough's and very close friend of George Washington ).The name John Hough Jr. appears on about half of the deeds from 1757 to 1797. It is probable that Charles Binns spelled Mose's pronounciation of the name only as he knew it HOUGH.Whatever the reason , Moses ( Huff ) Hough probably never really knew the difference since he could niether read nor write at that time .
During 1792 Moses led his wife and four very young sons west 120 to 140 miles , still in Loudoun Co , into the mountains. He obtained land presumably a land grant , extendingfrom mouth of the west fork of Monogahela to Simpsons Creek , - this location today may be in W.V. or perhaps barely in Penn.5 or 8 miles north of Morganstown , W.V.
During 1794 - 95' Moses , Elizabeth and four young sons traveled by flatboat roughly 1200 miles down the Monogahela and the Ohio Rivers to Louisville, Kentucky . Early in thier journey , at Ft. Pitt , Moses befriended teenager Aaron Huff. Aaron was son of a John Huff ( Kent Co. Md.) who was killed by indians about 1785 near Ft. Pitt. Aarons father had come from England to Virginia in 1764 , settling in Maryland about 1770. From Louisville , Moses and family( with Aaron ) traveled east 65 miles on the Louisville - Lexington Trail through Boones settlement ( near Shelbyville ) , reaching forks of Elkhorn in 1795. It is presumed Moses went to forks of Elkhorn for reasons of its location proximate to Frankfort, the state capitol. Here thier fifth son Robert was born in 1796 . Moses was a member of the Forks of Elkhorn church in1801 . Sometime in 1803 - 05' Moses and family retraced twenty four miles of thier eariler steps on the Louisville - Lexington trail , traveling west to Boones settlement . Here it is probable they headed SSW about 20 miles following Clear Creek , and Brashears Creek to its point of confluence with the Salt River. Moses then traveled 6-10 miles west on thewide and fertile flood plain of the Salt River and there settled and commenced obtaining Bullitt Co. land . Eventually , Moses's holdings comprised acreage on and between Hough Run , Little Dutchmans Creek and Goose Creek. In 1824 a portion of Bullitt Co. was taken , together with parts of Jefferson and Nelson Co. to form Spencer Co.
By this action the Bullitt/ Spencer boundary ( legally indefinite today ) cut Moses's land holdings in the NNE- SSW direction , leaving Hough Run , the upper two thirds of Little Dutchmans Creel , and two very short sections of lowermost Dutchmans Creek in Bullitt Co.
Moses wife Elizabeth died Oct, 1834 Moses gave testimony 9-10-1832 in Taylorsville in open court regarding his service in the war against England. Pleasant Paris tetified concering Moses ' credibility , Moses was granted3-4-1834 a total of $60 , $25 per anum retroactive to 9-4-1833 and ending 3-4-1836 .Although the date of Moses death is not known , he died in Spencer Co. probably under the care of his son John on land situated along Goosemans Creek , Dutchmans Creek on or just before 1847.