POWELL H. HUFF AND TWO WIVES OF SALEM, VA
Powell H. HUFF (1794 VA/MD - 17 June 1884 Salem, VA) served in the War of 1812 in Capt. Henry M. MCCLUNG's Comp, VA Militia, from 13 Mar 1814 until 14 June 1814 at Norfork, VA.He later served in Capt William WIRT's Comp, VA Militia as a substitute for John WINSTON.Powell signed as Powell HUFF, Powell H. HUFF, and as P. H. HUFF.He received BLWT's 250002-80-50 and 381-80-55.Bernard PITZER and John P. KIZER witnessed his application.Powell HUFF also received pension SC 3416, which was suspended during the Civil War and reinstated later.Powell HUFF mostly lived in Roanoke Co, VA, but was in Lafayette, Montgomery Co, VA, in 1878.
One family tradition holds that Powell H. and his brother James C. moved to Salem in 1819 from Lynchburg, VA.
On 5 Mar 1816, Powell H. HUFF md Elizabeth W. KENNER (17 Mar 1795 - 30 July 1835), and they probably had seven or eight ch, prob. 4 sons and 3 or 4 daus.Only two of this family were with Powell H. in 1850.Nearby was Adolphus E., perhaps the oldest son, and another probable son.These four are the only ones currently identified.
1. Adolphus E. (Oct 1818 VA - after 1900 MO) md Frances C. ??? (1823/28 VA - not listed 1900) and was a retail merchant along with his father in Roanoke.His ch incl Henry C.; Rosa; Edmond W.; Warren P.; Sallie W.; Lerman G.; Alice M.; Lucy T.; and Lindsay B.
2. Thomas (1829 VA -) was a clerk in the family store in 1850 as probable brother to Adolphus.No other info available.
3. Ursula (1830 VA -
4. Alexander (1831 VA -).
Powell H. HUFF md (2) on 7 Sep 1837, Mrs Eliza Ann (DILLARD) GREEN (1806 VA - Summer, 1885), widow of Charles GREEN.(She had md Charles GREEN in 1821 and they had lived in KY, TN, and Wytheville, VA.He was a consumptive who left her for western areas and never returned.She and her family assumed he died.She had one of his ch after he disappeared.)She remained an apparent widow for 15 years before she md Powell HUFF.After Powell died, she received pension WC 33820.She and Powell had:
3. Charles (1838 VA -
4. Henry (1840 VA -) Unm teacher with his parents in 1860.
5. Chilion O. (1842 VA -) served in the Civil War and surrendered at Appomattox on 9 Apr 1865, while a pvt in Capt Griffith's Comp, Salem Field Arty.He md (1) Margaret J. ??? (1850 VA) and later lived in WV as a schoolteacher.He md (2) prob in WV ???.Ch incl Edgar L.; Samuel H.; and Charles McE, and at least two daughters.
6. Masselia (1844 VA -) may be listed as Marie in 1860.
7. Edward J. (1846 VA -) served in the Civil War in the Salem Flying Artillery.He md Eliza Jane ??? (
Eliza DILLARD (1844 VA) lived with this family in 1850.
By local history, Powell HUFF was a hatter and a retail merchant.In 1841, 1851, 1860, and 1864, he was Justice of the County Court.This office caused him to lose his pension for service in the War of 1812.It is also assumed in local history that Powel H. and James C. HUFF were brothers and that they had come from MD.Census records show that both were born in VA. Powell H. owned over 1000 acres of land in and around Salem.His home was "Monterey," located above the present Court House near the campus of Roanoke City College.His retail store was at the site of the present Salem Post Office.
Huff lineage is Powell H. and two wives of Salem, VA; poss. Frederick and Violet (Puckett) of Switzerland, PA, poss. MD, and VA;
References for HuPH&2w1, VA5, 13 Nov 1993:
1814 Served in War of 1812.Powel H. pension SC3416, Eliza pension WC33820.
1830 Botetourt Co, VA, p 284, Powell Huff 211001-210011
1838 Roanoke Co, VA, divided out of Botetourt Co.
1837 Roanoke Co, P. H. Huff was trustee of the Salem Academy when it was established as a girl's school.
1840 Roanoke Co, VA, p 234, Powell Huff 1111101-010201
1850 Roanoke Co, VA, p 287, 57th Dist, Powell Huff, retail merchant.That year, Powell was a charter member of the Roanoke Savings Bank.
1854 P. H. Huff and A. E. Huff were trustees of the Salem Male Academy.It was on Lot 80, purchased from P. H. Huff.
1841/1856/1860/1864 Powell H. Huff was Justice of the County Court.
1860 Roanoke Co, VA, p 812, Salem, Powel & Eliza fam.
The above was researched by LARRY HUFF, and posted on 19 Jan 2012 by JOHN SCOTT HOFF