William Hoge, Jr., was born in Perth Amboy, N.J.,(date of birth not known).He was the 4th son of William and Barbara Hume Hoge.On 9 Feb 1723 he married Ann (LDS lists her last name as Hyle).Ann was a Quaker and this branch of the family became known as the "Quaker Branch" or the "Loudoun County" branch of the Hoge family. William and Ann probably moved to Pa. about the same time as his parents (1720-25).In his will, dtd. 1729, William Hoge said:"my son William Hoge shall have that 120 acres whereon he now lives, which is secured to him by Bill of Sale."Probably in Pa.
Most of the info that I have about William Hoge, Jr., can be found in the book, "Hopewell Friends History 1734-1934, Frederick Co. Va."Hopewell was near Opequon, just south of Winchester, Va.
From 1723-1729, the record shows them living in Pa.In Jan. 1744, The Court of Frederick Co. Va. granted to William Hoge Jr. a license for the first Ordinary or house of entertainment in the county. This first ordinary, later called a tavern, was located near Kernstown, near his father's property on Hoge Run.The village of Opequon became known as "Hoge's Tavern."It is also recorded that this tavern was situated on the Braddock Road, several miles west of Winchester, near the future Va-WVa state line. (confusion in Friends Record)
About 1748, William and Ann moved back to Pa., and settled on a 100 acre plantation in Richland Manor, purchased from William Allen.On 7 Nov. 1757, this land was conveyed to their second son, William.
They returned to Va., probably early in 1759 and Ann diedon 21 Mar.1759.I do not know when William Hoge, Jr. died.
According to the Friends Record, William and Ann had 7 children:
1. James, b. 6 Dec. 1724-25, probably remained in Va.
2. William, b. 4 Jan 1726, moved with family to Va.According to LDS, he married Esther Ewing.
3. Solomon, b. 2 or 21 May 1729 in Bucks Co Pa.He settled in Loudoun Co. Va. in 1760 and died there, 7 Mar. 1811.He m. 1st Ann Rollings and 2nd Mary Nichols. Both wives were Quakers.
4. George, b. 6 Feb 1733, m. Elizabeth Blackledge.
5. Joseph, b. 1 Dec 1735-36.Moved to Va in 1758.
6. Zebulon, b. 15 Apr 1738. (no info)
7. Ann, b. 26 Dec 1740-41. d. May 1805.She m. Edward Roberts, 11 Jun 1761.