Boyd Crumrine, "History of Washington County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches of Many of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men" (Philadelphia: L. H. Leverts & Co., 1882).
pp. 476 - 564
DAVID HOGE, a native of Cumberland County...
Washington Town, October, 1781.
“This will intitle Dorsey Pentecost to receive a sufficient title, subject to one dollar in specie rent per annum per Lott, for the lot marked in the Original plan of said Town 154, provided there shall be erected on each lott a house of eighteen feet square at least with a stone or brick chimney on or before the thirteenth day of October in the year One thousand seven hundred and eighty-four.
“Signed DAVID HOGE.”
After the sale of the property by DAVID HOGE to his SONS, JOHN and WILLIAM, the quit-rents were paid to them. In the year 1803, JOHN HOGE received on 120 quit-rents $1500, and in 1809 on 136 he received $2000. In the same year WILLIAM HOGE received on 130 quit-rents the sum of $1600, and in 1809 on 147 he received $2180. These rents were bough off from time to time, and mostly ceased about 1860. Demands are still occasionally made, but no attention is paid to them.
The first property to which title by deed was given was the public square sold for a site for the courthouse and prison of Washington County. This deed describes the property as “lying in the town of Bassett Town,” and is the only one ever made containing such description. The next deed that appears of record was made by DAVID HOGE to James Marshel, and conveyed lot No. 90 (now occupied by Morgan and Hargraves’ store). This lot was sold by Marshel to Hugh Wilson on the 4th of January, 1786. With the exception of the deed conveying the property to his sons, the two deeds above mentioned are the only ones given by DAVID HOGE. The deeds for the certificates were given by John and WILLIAM HOGE after their purchase Nov. 7, 1785...
The town of Washington was originally in the township of Strabane, and the first election of the township was held at “the house of DAVID HOGE, at Catfish Camp.” The town remained under the jurisdiction of Strabane until 1785. On the 25th of September, in that year, a petition signed by several of the citizens of the town was presented to the Court of Quarter Sessions, requesting to be formed into a separate election district. The petition was granted; a certificate was sent to the Supreme Executive Council, and was confirmed by that body on the 6th of February, 1786. A petition for the erection of the town of Washington into a separate township is on file in the records of the court, and is indorsed on the back as follows: “Petition of Inhabitants of the Town of Washington to be made a township. September Session. Granted by the Court.” The petition was signed by Alexander Addison, D. Bradford, James Ross, JOHN REDICK, JOHN HOGE, and Reasin Beall...
Early Settlers of Washington. – DAVID HOGE, of Cumberland County, was sheriff of that county from October, 1768, to Dec. 31, 1770, when he was succeeded by Ephraim Blaine. Soon after this time, as already mentioned, he purchased the Hunter tracts of land in the Chartiers Valley embracing what is now the town of Washington. He laid out the town in 1781, and in 1785 sold the most of it to his sons John and William, who removed to Washington and lived and died there, filling important positions of honor and trust. DAVID HOGE, their father, never made Washington his permanent residence. Of his other children, JONATHAN settled near Morgantown, where he lived and died, leaving two children, of BUSHROD HOGE (well know to the people of Washington) is one. DAVID HOGE, JR., married JANEthe daughter of THOMAS SCOTT,and settled in Washington for a time, and finally removed to Steubenville, where he became agent of the Land-Office. He died there, leaving many descendants. A daughter became the wife of the Rev. Mr. Waugh, a Presbyterian clergyman. He died in Cumberland County and left two sons, WILLIAM and JOHN H., both of whom were admitted as attorneys in Washington County in 1818 and 1820. He also had three daughters, the youngest of whom became the wife of DR. IRWIN. MRS DANIEL KAINE, of Uniontown, is a daughter of MR. and MRS. IRWIN.JOHN HOGE,, the oldest son of DAVID HOGE, SR., was born at Hogestown, near Carlisle, Sept. 12, 1760, entered the Revolutionary army in 1776, when but sixteen years of age, and became a lieutenant. During the war he visited Washington, and in 1782 settled on the land his father had purchased. On the 7th of October, 1785, his father conveyed the greater portion of the large tract to him and his brother William. In 1789 he was elected a delegate to the State Constitutional Convention, and from 1790-1794 represented this district in the State Senate. He served part of a term in the Congress from 1803-5 to fill a vacancy caused by the resignation of his brother, WILLIAM HOGE. He built a frame house on the south side of Maiden Street, opposite the old Presbyterian Church (now Hayes’carriage factory). He also kept tavern a few years about 1800. He married a daughter of William Quail. Later in life he retired to his farm, lying between Washington and Canonsburg, known as the “Meadow Land” (now owned by Maj. John H. Ewing), where he died Aug. 5, 1824. WILLIAM HOGE, a younger brother of John, also settled in Washington, and owned a half interest in the property. His farm in the north part of the town is now owned by Harry Shirle. He was elected member of Congress, and served from 1801 to 1803, but resigned in 1804, and was again elected in 1806 and served from 1807 to 1809. He was also elected associated judge, and served from 1798 to 1802. He married ISABELLA,, the daughter of SAMUEL LYON, of Cumberland County. He died in 1813, and his widow became the second wife of Alexander Reed.
DAVID REDICK was a native of Ireland, who emigrated to this country and settled for several years in Lancaster County. He married the daughter of JONATHAN HOGE, brother of DAVID HOGE, SR.. He was a surveyor, and came to the Chartiers Valley with DAVID HOGE, surveyed his lands, and laid out the town under the direction of MR. HOGE. He remained here an purchased lot 273, on Main Street, where he built and lived till his death. The place is now owned by Alexander Murdoch. He was admitted to the bar in 1782. In 1786 he was elected a member of the Supreme Executive Council, and on the 14th of October, 1788, was chosen vice-president in place of Peter Muhlenberg, who resigned. He held the position until the election of George Ross, November 5th, the same year. Benjamin Franklin was president of the Council at the time he was vice-president. In October, 1787, he was appointed agent of the State for communicating to the Governor of New York intelligence respecting Connecticut claims. In 1791 he was appointed prothonotary of Washington County and clerk of the courts. He was appointed to survey the Ten Islands in the Ohio and Allegheny Rivers, and to divide the several tracts of land opposite Pittsburgh into building-lots. He was active and energetic in business, prominent in defense of law, order, and the constitution in the time of the Whiskey Insurrection, and was appointed with Mr. Findley to wait upon President Washington to assure him of the submission of those who had been insurgents. He died at Washington on the 28th of September, 1805, and was buried with Masonic honors. He had a son who became an attorney, but died when a young man. Nancy, a daughter of his, became the wife of Dr. James Stevens, of Washington. They inherited the REDICK homestead, where they both lived and died. The present residence was built by Dr. Stevens. Another daughter of Mr. Redick became the wife of Capt. James Anderson, of the United States Army. They later settled in Louisville, Ky.”