WASHINGTON BOROUGH – pp. 476 - 564
Boyd Crumrine, History of Washington County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches of Many of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men (Philadelphia: L. H. Leverts & Co., 1882).
Alexander Cunningham was a native of Donegal, Ireland. He emigrated to this country about 1783, and in May of 1784 purchased on certificate lot No. 18 in Washington, on which later the Glove inn was built, and now occupied by John Allen’s confectionery-store. Later, he purchased lot 275, where A. B. Caldwell’s store now stands. On this lot he built a store-house and dwelling, and opened a store which he kept during the remainder of his life. He also bought the Yeates tract of land that is now in Franklin township. Later this tract of land came into possession of Alexander Reed, and it is now owned by William Paul and Hiram Warne. Mr. Cunningham married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Scott, and lived in the house on lot 275, where his death occurred in 1806. His children were all born here. Jane, the eldest, became the wife of Matthew Dill, son of Thomas Dill. He was engaged in business with his father-in-law from about 1803 till the death of Mr. Cunningham. Samuel, the second child, was born Oct. 8, 1788, and when twenty-one years of age married Maria, daughter of David Morris, on the 26th of March, 1811. She died a short time after marriage, and on the 23d of March, 1815, he married Sarah, daughter of the Rev. Lyman Potter, of Steubenville. After this marriage he removed to a farm now owned by Wilson McClean, where he lived six years and then returned to town. He had been a merchant in town before going to the country, and on his return entered the store of Alexander Reed as a clerk. He was county commissioner in 1830, and sheriff from 1832 to 1835. Upon the organization of the Franklin Bank in 1836 he was appointed teller, and remained as such till failing health compelled him to resign. He died on the 17th of May, 1875, leaving an adopted daughter, Miss Rebecca Cunningham, now a resident of Washington. The residence of Samuel Cunningham was the house now occupied by A. T. Baird on Maiden Street. Of the other children of Alexander Cunningham, Thomas F. studied law and was admitted to the bar in Washington County. He removed to Mercer County, Pa., where he became prominent as a lawyer, and was elected a member of the State Senate. He died many years ago, leaving numerous descendants. John Cunningham, a son of Alexander, studied medicine with Dr. James Stevens, of Washington; practiced at Florence, Hanover township, and is now living at an advanced age in Wooster, Ohio. Two daughters of Alexander Cunningham, Elizabeth and Sarah (twins), married and settled in Butler County, Pa. Alexander Cunningham, Jr., settled in Nashville, Tenn., where he became a banker, and is still living. William, the youngest son of Alexander, married Miss McClure, a niece of John Hoge, and settled in Butler County, Pa.