“Genealogical and Personal History of the Allegheny Valley..” Vol. 3
Author: Jordan, John W. (John Woolf), 1840-1921
New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co., 1913.
Pg. 1038 JACKSON
This branch of the JACKSON family came from New England at the close of the eighteenth century.The first known progenitor, DANIEL JACKSON, who was a native of Connecticut, came to Warren County, Pa., from near Ithaca, New York, in the year 1797.He was the first settler in what later became known as Conewango Township, locating on JACKSON run, about a half mile from its mouth, this run still bearing his name.The county was subsequently divided into two townships, Brokenstraw and Conewango, each comprising about one-half.DANIEL JACKSON built the first saw mill and later the first grist mill in the county.The saw mill was completed in about the year 1800, and the first raft of pine lumber, comprising about 30,000 feet, to seek a market down the river from Warren County, was manufactured at this mill and landed in Pittsburgh in the spring of 1801...In 1805 DANIEL JACKSON moved from Conewango Township to what is now Warren Borough, and erected the first frame building with lumber sawed at his mill,, on the lot now occupied by the Citizens' National Bank building, at the corner of Water and Hickory streets; the building was know for years as JACKSON'S Tavern.Three other edifices erected prior to this were made of hewn timbers.DANIEL JACKSON was licensed by the governor in 1806 to keep an inn...He was the first constable in this township, being appointed in 1807, and was commissioned a justice of the peace by Governor Snyder on May 31st, 1817...The Wetmore farm, adjoining and immediately south of the village of North Warren, was the location chosen by DANIEL JACKSON in 1797 for his homestead; this he deeded, conjointly with his son DANIEL, as shown by the Warren County records, to William Hodges, May 4, 1814, in consideration of a sum of $1,600, the property sold including in all nearly 600 acres...
DANIEL JACKSON died June 20, 1830, in the 79th year of his age, from blood poisoning caused by a bite on the thumb of his right hand by one Nehemiah Waters, who made an unprovoked attack upon him while he was performing his duty as magistrate; it is said that he was buried on his old homestead in Conewango Township.He bequeathed his property to his children and grandchildren as named.His children were: DANIEL, EBENEZER, ETHAN, DAVID, SYLVIA, RACHEL...
Pg. 1040 THE HOWE LINE
The history of this family, as shown in the “History of Northfield, Massachusetts,” is a most interesting one.The immigrant ancestor, JOHN HOW, or HOWE, came over from Sudbury, England, and settled in what is now the town of Sudbury, Massachusetts, in 1638.He moved to Marlboro, in 1657, where he became a leading citizen, dying May 28, 1680, at the age of 78 years.He married MARY __, who died in the year 1698; among other children they had a son SAMUEL.
SAMUEL, son of JOHN and MARY HOWE, was born Oct. 20, 1642, and died April 13, 1713.On Sept. 18, 1685, he married his second wife, a widow, SARAH (LEAVITT) CLAPP, by whom he had a son NEHEMIAH.
NEHEMIAH, son of SAMUEL and SARAH HOWE, was born in 1693.In 1716 he was living in Sudbury, and in 1739 at Grafton; on Oct. 11, 1745, he was living in the fort at Great Meadows, near which he was then captured by the Indians and carried into Canada, where he died May 25, 1747; he left a journal of his captivity which was published in 1748.He married MARGARET, daughter of BENJAMIN WILLARD, who after his death married (second) ENSIGN JAMES MILLER, of Hopkinton; she died Jan. 25, 1758, leaving a son CALEB by her first marriage.
CALEB, son of NEHEMIAH and MARGARET (WILLARD) HOWE, was born in the year 1724; he lived near Bridgman's Fort, and was in Captain Phineas Stevens' Company, 1746-49.He was a sergeant at Number 4, and wrote Captain Stevens an account of the attack on that place June 20, 1749, when Ensign Sawtelle was killed and a son of the captain was taken; he was mortally wounded by Indians June 27, 1755, when Fort Bridgman was taken and its occupants carried into captivity in Canada.He died the next morning at Hinsdell's Fort and was buried a short distance to the northeast of it, where his gravestone may still be seen.In 1746 he married JEMIMA, daughter of JOSIAH SAWTELLE, and widow of WILLIAM PHILLIPS, who was killed by the Indians at Great Meadow, on July 5, 1745.She was captured when the fort was taken, and with her seven children carried to Canada; with three of her (pg. 1041) children she was redeemed and brought home before 1760 by Colonel Schuyler.She afterward returned to Canada and recovered her second daughter, SUBMIT PHILLIPS, born in 1736, married, Nov. 22, 1755, to NATHAN WILLARD; she died in 1781.MARY PHILLIPS, the oldest daughter, was carried to France, where she married CROM LEWIS, a Frenchman.MRS. HOWE married (third) AMOS TUTE, and died March 7, 1805, at the age of 82 years.The children of CALEB and JEMIMA HOWE were: 1. WILLIAM, born 1747.2. MOSES, born 1749.3. SQUIRE 4. CALEB, born 1753.5. A son, born 1755, who died in Canada, March, 1756.
SQUIRE, son of CALEB and JEMIMA HOWE, was born in 1751, and was but four years old when taken captive by the Indians; in 1790, bore testimony to the brutality of the savages.In 1806 he moved to Fabius, New York, where he died Nov. 20, 1807...In 1781 SQUIRE HOWE was married to MARTHA, daughter of MOSES FIELD; she died at Prattsburg, New York, in 1839, age 82 years.Their children were: 1. RHODOLPHUS, born 1782; married CLARISSA HILL, and lived at Prattsburg.2. SQUIRE, born 1785; married MARY TOWNSLEY, and settled in Dryden, New York.3. MARTHA, born May 20, 1787; married Jan. 19, 1809, to HORACE FOWLER, of Cohocton, New York.4. WILLIAM, born 1790; married POLLY GRIFFITY, and lived at Geneva, New York.5. ANN, born about 1792; married LEVI FOWLER, of Cohocton, New York.6. SUSAN, born April 19, 1794; married, Oct. 24, 1835, to HORACE FOWLER.7. CLARISSA.8. CAROLINE, born July 17, 1798; married HORACE DUNNS, of Prattsburg, New York.
CLARISSA, daughter of SQUIRE and MARTHA (FIELD) HOWE, was born in Vermont, April 17, 1797.On Feb. 9, 1817, she was married to ROBERT WELD, and lived on the farm three-quarters of a mile north of Sugar Grove, Pa., on the road leading to Jamestown, New York, the log house in which they dwelt having been built by her husband.The farm is now owned by their grandson, ROBERT J. WELD, who resides there.CLARISSA WELD died in 1885, and was buried in the cemetery in Sugar Grove village; leaving seven children, as follows: SUSAN; ANN; SQUIRE; SARAH McKAY, married to WASHINGTON PARKER CUMMINGS; THEODORE; WILLIAM; CLARISSA and MARY.,,