Transcription from "Landmarks in Ancient Dover, NH" by Mary P. Thompson, complete edition, 1965, page 180:
VIII HUCKINS GARRISON.This garrison stood on the very outskirts of the Oyster River Settlement, specially exposed to attack.It was a few rods south of the house now owned by Mr. Ebenezer T. Emerson, on the same side of the road.Oyster River is a half a mile distant in a direct line; and a mile, at least, following the course of the road.This garrison was built by James Huckins, son of Robert Huggins of the Dover Combination.James was taxed at Oyster River in 1664.He seems to have been a connection of Wm. Beard or his wife, who gave him a portion of their lands.Huckins' garrison was destroyed in August 1689 (1) on which occasion eighteen persons were massacred in a neighboring field now belonging to Mr. J. W. Coe, besides several others at the garrison itself.Pike, in his Journal, says James Huggin of Oyster River was slain.Sarah, his wife (2) was taken captive, but was rescued the following year at Ameriscoggin.She became the second wife of Capt. John Woodman.The Huckins lands were acquired by the Emersons.(See Huckins' Brook) (1) CW Tuttle in his Hisotrical Papers, pp 203-4, says a Huckins garrison was destroyed Sept 13, 1689.He considers Pike's date erroneous.(2) A Sarah Huggins has become renowned in song for her conquest of the Earl of Exeter.She was the prototype of the heroine in Tennyson's romantic poem, "The Lord of Burleigh."
This ends the transcription.Other Garrisons described: I Meader, II Davis, III Smith, IV Bunker, V Jones, VI Beard, IX Burnham, X Drew, XI Adams, XII Bickford, XIII Edgerly, XIV Goddard.
Other references to Huckins VI BEARD'S GARRISON, PAGE 178. . . It was built by Wm Beard, who was at Oyster Riveer as early as 1640, and was still living here April 19, 1675, on which day he and his wife Elisabeth gave 'gratisly and freely' to James Huckins a tract of land near Beard's creek, adjoining the Woodman land.The deed of conveyance was executed in 'ye new dwelling-house of William Beard of Oister River' it is therein expressly declared. VI WOODMAN'S GARRISON.This garrison, which is still in an admirable state of preservation, is one of the largest and most noted of the Oyster River defences. . . at the north through an opening between the hills can be seen the spot where the Huckins garrison stood; and nearer at hand, but separated from it by a profound ravine, is the field where occurred the massacre of 1689.(this garrison was built by Capt. John Woodman, 2nd husband of Sarah Huckins, w of James)
On the map in the front of the book, Huckins Garrison is found by following the Oyster River NW to Beard's Creek and Huckins Brook.The Garrison is a short distance further north beyond the brook.
Other parts of the book describe Oyster River and the Indian attacks and tie together the relationships of the owners of these garrisons.(Don't bother looking up the Tennyson reference as you'll find no relevance.)