I am looking for the descendants of my fourth great-grandfather, William Hufford. He was the son of Jacob Hufford & Mary Link, born about 1818 in Kentucky and between 1860 and September 19, 1863, in Lafayette County, MO. He married Mary Armstrong, who died 1851, on August 19, 1843 in Fayette County, KY, and had four children with her: Susan Elizabeth (1844), William Jacob (12/17/1846), John H. (1848), and Mary Jane (1850). During the 1860 census, he was listed in Clay Township, Lafayette County, MO, with his four children. William's mother, Mary Link, had been married before to his uncle Joseph Hufford who died soon after the marriage in 1811. Mary Link was also descended from Huffords through her mother's family.
William Hufford and Mary Armstrong's son, William Jacob Hufford was born December 17, 1846, in KY and died January 25, 1882 in MO. He married Sarah Jane Snead on April 16, 1867, in Lafayette County, MO. Sarah was born in 1846 and I believe she is listed in the 1860 census of Clay Township, Lafayette County, MO, page 337, line 37, in the household of Michael O'Hara (age 20 from Ireland) and George Gillespie (age 50 from Tennessee).
William and Sarah were the parents of six children: Samual Francis (7/11/1871), Mary J. (1874), Ralph (1876), Mystic (1878), John (aft. 1880 - bef. 1882), Ida (aft. 1880 - bef. 1882). Mary J. Hufford married a man named Morton and Ida married a Givegart. I'm not sure what happened to Ralph, Mystic (dau), or John.
Samual Francis Hufford was born July 11, 1871, in Lafayette County, MO, and died May 2, 1941 in Wellington, Lafayette County, MO. He married Winnie (might have been Edwina) Hendrick on March 31, 1896, in Ray County, MO. She was born April 13, 1876, in MO and died April 6, 1946, in Wellington. I am unsure who her parents were, but she did have five sisters according to her daughter Velma Hufford-Karow. Velma also believes her oldest brother, Henry William Hufford, was named for his grandfathers which would make Winnie's father named Henry (William was Samuel's father). Samual F. Hufford and Winnie Hendrick had ten children:
1) Henry William Hufford 9/29/1896 MO - 11/8/1959 MO. He married Violet Mae "Doll" Coats (8/28/1906 MO - 4/5/1951 MO) on October 25, 1923, in Lafayette County, MO. They had nine children: Henryetta, Robert, Betty Mae, Roney, Alfred, Wanda, Shirley, Harold Samual, and Faye.
2) Carrie M. Hufford 10/1/1899 MO - ? MO. She married Joe Richardson and they had four children: Stella Fay, Mae Dean, Dail Jean, Bobbie Harson, and Samual.
3) Alfred born 1902 MO. No further information and believed to be deceased.
4) Elva Cassie Hufford 11/19/1905 MO - 1967 MO. She married Robert Victor Woodruff (7/5/1899 Orrick, MO - 7/1973 KCMO) on May 3, 1924, in Jackson County, MO. He was the son of James Robert Woodruff and Mary Alice Burton. They are my great-grandparents and had four children (two still living).
5) Velma Hufford 9/30/1907. She married William Ernest Karow (4/22/1904 - 1/9/1990) on June 19, 1933, in Platte City, Platte County, MO, with the license issued in Lafayette County, MO. She is one of the only children of Samuel and Winnie still living.
6) John Morton Hufford 5/13/1910 MO - 9/17/2001 Quincy, Adams County, IL. He married a woman named Myrtle and had two children: Leona Mae and John, Jr.
7) Leona (Mamie) Hufford 10/20/1914 MO - 4/1982 Wellington, MO. She married Bill Edwards and had three children: Bonnie Dean, Billie F., and Meredith Ann.
8) Otto Hufford born between 1915 and 1919. He is deceased.
9) Robert Hufford born between 1915 and 1919. He is deceased.
10) Omer born 1919 or 1920. He is also the one of the only children still living.
If anyone has further information on these individuals or is one of their descendants, please e-mail me directly or post a reply to this messge board.
Shena M. David