I haven't recognized any direct connections to my family line in the follow-ups posted here, but in case it may help anyone, here is some of my family line.
My g-g-g grandfather James Hutchings (b. December 31, 1782 in Spaniard's Bay, Newfoundland) was the first generation of my family line born in the New World.His father, also named James Hutchings, b. 1756 Devon/Dorset, emigrated to the Conception Bay region of Newfoundland and married Elizabeth Amy Miller (b. 1757 in Bonaventure) on Feb. 13, 1778 in Spaniard's Bay.
Prior to this, the info I have on my family line is still unverified (i.e., undocumented), but I believe it to be reasonably accurate:
- James' (sr) father was also James Hutchings b. April 30, 1715 Broadwindsor, Dorset, England; but wife unknown
- James' parents were Hugh Hutchins b.1667 Broadwindsor, Dorset, England, and Mary Knight
- Hugh Hutchins parents were Mathew Jr Hutchins b.1640 Broadwindsor, Dorset, England; but wife unknown (m. about 1666)
- Mathew Jr.'s parents were Mathew Hutchins b.1601 and Marjorie (last name unknown) (m. 1627)
- Mathew's parents were George Hutchins b.1547 and Alice (last name unknown) b.1565; location unknown
- George's parents were John Jr. Howchins b.1509 Broadwindsor, Dorset, England, and Joan (last name unknown)
- John's parents were John Houchyns b.1480, and (first name unknown) Bastion.
Of course the surname variations are due to phonetic attempts to record the name.Apart for the modern legal ramifications, I sometimes wonder whether it is any more correct to refer to John (Houchyns) as John Hutchings, or myself as Karl Houchyns?This of couse is a retorical question, no need to reply.
The unverified portion of my family line was sent to me by another researcher several years ago in case I might one day find a common thread.It took me a while to find that thread, and almost as long again to realize that there was in fact a connection between the two sets of data.I have misplaced the name of the person that sent me the data, but I am in the process of tracking them down once again.I rather suspect that much of it was derived from a book entitled "The Book of Hutchings", if memory serves.I do not have this book, but would like to obtain a copy.If anyone knows where a copy may be obtained, I would appreciate hearing from them.Likewise, should I track down the publishing info myself, I will post it here.
In the meantime, should any of the above names appear in your research, I would appreciate hearing from you.Out of respect for my living relatives privacy (and because it does not pertain to the immediate thread), I have not posted recent ancestor's names.Should someone demonstrate a definite family connection, however, and request it, I am willing to share more recent research.