My grandfather was Charles Henry ILSLEY b.1909, and he “never talked about his family”. He, his brother, and presumably his sisters were placed in separate orphanages around 1916-18. Yet I have not found a death or either father or mother (even checked maiden name(s)) even into the 1920’s. My family history is shrouded by lies. For instance my grandfather’s brother (John George, b.1911) was writing to my grandfather’s wife (Minnie) over several years while both lead their children to believe that they had lost contact with the cousins years ago when they emigrated to Australia!!
This is what I think I know, please help. Has any one come across the following family somewhere?
1. Charles ILSLEY m Phebe ALLEN (also Phoebe ALLIN) Annie ILSELEY. c. 10 June 1863.St Mary's Reading d. before 1866 Annie ILSLEY c. 6 May 1866 St Mary's Reading John George ILSLEY c. 6 May 1866 St Mary's Reading(think had a son John George ILSLEY that died in the war in 1914, aged 29) 2. Thomas ILSLEY b. 21 Sept 1867, c. 21 Jan 1868 St Mary's Reading
2. Thomas ILSLEY (aged 29, Tinman) m Ada LACEY (aged 21) on the 12 Mar 1898, Reading Thomas Henry ILSLEY b. 10 Jan 1903, Islington. d. 1904, Islington Florence Caroline ILSLEY b. 27 Nov 1904, Islington - no further info Edith May ILSLEY b. 27 Dec 1906, Islington - no further info 3. Charles Henry ILSLEY b. 28 May 1909, Islington, d. 1967, Portsmouth 4. John George ILSLEY b. 17 Aug 1911, Reading, d. 1991(BUT his mother is recorded as Ada ILSLEY nee MASON any suggestions??) 5. Rachel Doris ILSLEY b. 22 Mar 1913, Reading, d. 18 Feb 1987, California (as US citizen)
4. Charles Henry ILSLEY m1. 1937 Irene, no children, m2. 1947 Minnie, 1 boy, 1 girl
5. John George ILSLEY m1.Grace May RATTEN 8 Aug 1936 John Edward ILSLEY- do you know this person??? m2. 22 Dec 1945, 4 girls, 2 boys
6. Rachel Doris ILSLEY m. Alfred E.F. ROBERTS, 1934, Woolwich Kenneth C. ROBERTS, 1936, Woolwich Melvyn P. ROBERTS, 1939, Greenwich My best guess is they then moved to CA, U.S.A. & had more kids…..?
One of the families that interest me alot is that of Thomas ILSLEY & Jane SMITH who around 1900's in Reading had children of really very similar names. I can't help but think they must be quite closely related to my Thomas ILSLEY & Ada LACEY family somehow.