Wooster Daily Record, October 27, 1928
Famous Soldier Dies
John R. McQuigg
JOHN R. M'QUIGG
NATIVE SON OF
World War Hero; Long
Prominent in Cleveland,
Had Colorful Career.
Relatives and friends in Wooster learned this morning of the death, at Cleveland last night, of Brigadier General John R. McQuigg, a native son of Wayne county who had attained a place of much prominence in the military of the country, and who was national commander of the American Legion during 1925.
Gen. McQuigg passed away at 11 p.m. at his home, 1901 Idlewood Ave., East Cleveland, following a year's illness. His death had been expected momentarily for three days.
Gen. McQuigg lived in this community from the time of his birth Dec. 5, 1866 until 1891, at which time he went to Cleveland. He never,however, lost track of the town and county of his nativity, and he numbered his friends here by the score. He came to Wooster frequently.
Lawyer and Soldier.
By vocation Mr. McQuigg was a lawyer; by avocation he was a soldier, and his picturesque presence was a part in almost every legal and military movement in Cleveland during the past thirty years.
General McQuigg, who commanded the 112th Engineers 37th Division, in France during the world war, was for three terms mayor of East Cleveland, was prominent as an attorney and business man. A general nervous and physical breakdown caused his death. Last summer he literally got out of a sick bed to go with "his boys" of the 73rd Brigade, to Camp Perry. He paraded in a drenching rain storm.
At the outset of the war with Spain he organized the Cleveland Grays into three companies and later recruited the 112th Engineers. It was this job of organization that gained him state and nationwide attention. For thirteen years he commanded that battalion, and in 1914 when the world war broke out, his lean figure, his campaign hat cocked over one eye and his black mustache were familiar sights to thousands of Ohioans.
When Ohio troops went to Mexico, McQuigg was 51, and deemed too old for an arduous campaign. He regretfully saw his troops depart without him. But he did not stay behind long. New orders sent him to Mexico where he rejoined his troops.
Prepares for War.
McQuigg, in 1917, threw himself, with renewed ardor, into the preparations the nation was making to enter the world war. His organization was one of the crack units this country sent to France, and he served with distinction.
Funeral arrangements had not been completed today, but was that he would be buried in Cleveland.
General McQuigg is survived by his widow, Gertrude Imgard McQuigg, also a native of Wooster, by two children, Pauline and Donald, who, with their mother, were at the bedside when he passed away, by two sisters, Hinda and Stella, of North Market street, Wooster, and one brother, William, living in the west.
A paragraph from the Plain Dealer's account of his death says:
A medieval man-at-arms or a Texas marshal. Take your pick, for the general resembled either, with his deep set eyes, under shaggy eyebrows, his square, determined chin and his great shoulders.
That hair, once raven black, of late was plentifully streaked with gray, the result of his experiences in the Argonne, and his naturally brusque temperament had been tempered by the years. Nature played a queer trick on the man who it put a heart as tender as that of a woman, into the body of a man whose outward mien was stern and forbidding.
end of obit.
Brigadier General John R. McQuigg was the son of Samuel S. McQuigg and Jane McKinney. He was the grandson of John McQuigg Sr. and Sarah McAfee. Sarah McAfee was the daughter of William McAfee Sr. and Margaret "Martha" Taggart or Ray. General McQuigg's father and paternal grandparents were from Co. Antrim/Co. Londonderry area of Ireland having been born there.
They came over from Ireland on the ship "New York" which departed Liverpool, England for New York City, New York and arrived on July 17, 1843. His great grandparents, William McAfee Sr. and Margaret "Martha" came over from Ireland on the ship "St. Andrew" which departed Liverpool, England for New York City, New York and arrived on June 7, 1838.
I descend thru Sarah (McAfee) McQuigg's brother, Mathew McAfee, who married Margaret McElhinney in Wayne Co, Ohio in 1849. Thru Mathew & Margaret's son, Mathew Porter McAfee, who married Eliza Belle Garner in Palmyra, Marion Co, Missouri in 1884. Thru Mathew Porter & Eliza Belle's son, Charles Thomas Mahlon McAfee, who married Lillian Belle Crawford in Hannibal, Marion Co, Missouri in 1920.
Thru Charles and Lillian's son, Jerry Ray McAfee, who married Mary Evelyn Glascock on Dec. 24, 1953 in Hannibal, Missouri.
Gertrude Imgard (Gen. McQuigg's wife) was the daughter of August and Jeanette Imgard, both born in Prussia and who lived in the Wooster, Ohio area.
Keywords: Dalton McAfee McAffee McDuffee Ohio World War 1
I Spanish American War Dunluce Antrim Ireland Coleraine Londonderry Derry Scottish Scots Irish Ulster Presbyterian
General J.R. M'Quigg
Buried at Cleveland
The 73rd Brigade Headquarters Co., of Wooster, commanded by Capt. Julius Stark, was the guard of honor at Cleveland yesterday at the funeral of the late Brigadier General John R. McQuigg, former Wooster man, who rose to fame as a military and civic leader in Cleveland. The soldiers fired a volley as the casket was lowered at Lake View cemetery, and the company bugler sounded taps. Paul V. McNutt of Indianapolis, National Commander of the American Legion, paid tribute to General McQuigg and the Rev. T. Benton Peery, Cleveland Legion chaplain, pronounced the benediction. Rev. J.W. Giffin, pastor of the First United Presbyterian church, in his funeral sermon, declared that General McQuigg's greatest characteristic was his wholesome respect for constitutional authority in both church and state.
[ Wooster Daily Record, October 30, 1928 ]
GENERAL McQUIGG A MAJESTIC LEADER
General John R. McQuigg, native of Wayne county, attorney and military commander, passed to his eternal reward while the glory of human achievements clustered close about him.
Until a year ago when illness made him curtail his activities, Gen. McQuigg was a familiar figure in the meetings of military bodies in Ohio and in no place was he honored more than in his native county. He was always a welcome and honored visitor to Wooster. His coming was heralded for days by the veterans who learned to love him for his conspicuous ability.
As national commander of the American Legion in its young and growing days his was a master mind that brought order into being and cemented war-time friendships into enduring friendships.
General McQuigg will be missed in military circles as the years pass. He loved and counseled peace at the close of the world war and did much to bring the old-time order of civil decorum into the lives of the boys he had led in the Argonne. Gen. McQuigg will long be reverred for the great deeds he accomplished.
[ Wooster Daily Record October 29, 1928 ]
MCQUIGG, JOHN REA (5 Dec. 1865-26 Oct. 1928), banker, lawyer, military officer, and mayor of EAST CLEVELAND (1907-13), was born near Hudson, Ohio, to Samuel and Jane McKinley McQuigg. He graduated from Wooster College in 1888, and after 1 year at Cornell Law School, transferred to the Natl. Law School in Washington, D.C., receiving his law degree, being admitted to the Ohio bar, and joining the Ohio Natl. Guard Infantry in 1890. From 1892-98, McQuigg was a member of the CLEVELAND GRAYS. During the SPANISH-AMERICAN WAR, he was captain of the 10th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and from 1899-1916, was lieutenant colonel of engineers of the Ohio Natl. Guard. During World War I, McQuigg was commander of the 112th Engineers of the 37th Div. in France, being discharged in 1919. In 1920, McQuigg was recommissioned colonel of engineers. Devoting considerable time, money, and energy to developing the American Legion, McQuigg was commander of its Ohio Dept. from 1920-21 and was also an active member of the finance and executive committees, becoming Legion national commander 1925.
McQuigg helped organize the E. Cleveland office of Windermere Savings & Loan Co. (1915), moving from director to vice-president, then to president and general counsel. In addition, McQuigg and former classmate Geo. B. Riley established the law firm of Riley & McQuigg. McQuigg's special interest in municipal law aided his successful bid for the office of mayor of E. Cleveland. McQuigg married Gertrude W. Imgard in 1892, and had 2 children, Pauline and Donald.
source: the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
The CLEVELAND GRAYS were organized on 28 Aug. 1837 as an independent volunteer militia company to bolster the local constabulary and to protect the city in case of invasion from Canada. Originally called the Cleveland City Guards, the membership decided that the organization's name should be taken from the color adopted for their uniforms--gray. Thus, in 1838 the company became known as the Cleveland Grays. Simultaneously, the members adopted the motto "Semper Paratus" (Always Prepared).
The Cleveland Grays gather at Camp Wise, ca. 1890s. WRHS.
The Grays saw military service as a unit in the CIVIL WAR, the SPANISH-AMERICAN WAR, the Mexican Punitive Expedition (1916), and WORLD WAR I. The Grays were the first company to leave Cleveland during the Civil War. In Apr. 1861 they were designated Co. E, 1st Ohio Volunteer Infantry (OVI). They saw action at Vienna Station and First Bull Run. During the war they also served in the 84th OVI and were on duty with the 150th OVI when Confederate general Jubal Early attacked Washington in the summer of 1864. During the Spanish-American War, the Grays petitioned the state and were admitted to the National Guard as the 1st Battalion of Engineers, 10th OVI. After the war they returned to their independent status. In 1916 they again petitioned the state and joined Ohio troops participating in the Punitive Expedition against Mexico. World War I, during which the Grays saw action in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive of 1918 on the Western Front, was the last active service of the Grays as a unit. During subsequent conflicts, including the Persian and Gulf Wars, individual members have served in the armed forces.
Today, the purpose of the Grays is to preserve the military heritage of Greater Cleveland, promote patriotism, and good fellowship. The organization is headquartered at GRAYS ARMORY (ca. 1893), 1234 Bolivar Rd. Membership is open to all men and women interested in military history. Membership in 1994 was 250.
Vourlojianis, George N. "The Cleveland Grays: An Urban Military Co., 1837-1919" (Ph.D. diss., Kent State Univ., 1984).