Dolores, I was very happy to find your entry.I’ve also been working on Daniel Ingraham’s family recently, as my husband is descended from his son Henry.Here is my list so far of Daniel and Esther’s children:
1. Henry b. 1796, CT; m. Angeline Barney, d/o William and Jerusha (Jefferson) Barney.Angeline was the sister of Henry’s uncle Philo’s wife Arvilla Barney.Henry is shown to be the son of Daniel by the following:1)In his will he names his brother Barton H. Ingraham.2)Barton H. Ingraham in a 1864 letter to Nathaniel Hickok states that his grandfather was Eleazer Ingraham, follower of Jemima Wilkeson.He addresses Nathaniel Hickok as “cousin” and asks if he knows anything else of his (Barton’s) father’s ancestry.3)In 1799, Daniel Ingraham moved to Canton Township, Bradford Co., PA and seems to be the only Ingraham in the county until “Harry Ingraham” serves as a soldier from Canton Twp in the War of 1812.Henry was b. 1796 [according to his tombstone and census returns] and so would have been about 16 or 17 when he served.That the Daniel Ingraham in Bradford Co., PA is the same who went to Ohio is shown by his daughter Caroline writing to Nathaniel Hickok in 1868 and reminiscing about Bradford Co., PA as her childhood home.4)In 1860, Henry is living in Butler Co., PA next door to his sister Samantha Winterstein and her husband Caleb.
2. Huldah b. 1799, NY.Huldah’s 1864 death record gives her age as 65.She never married and was living with her widowed mother Esther and sister Susan Carpenter and family in 1860.
3. Caroline b. 1804 Bradford Co., PA.In 1867, Barton H. Ingraham writes to Nathaniel Hickok and mentions his “Sister Caroline.”In 1867, Caroline Leiniger herself writes to Nathaniel Hickok, like Barton addressing him as “Dear Cousin” and referring to her “Brother Barton.”Caroline Ingraham married Daniel Sawyer in 1824 in Geauga Co., OH, but in 1870 he is living with a different wife and there is an Esther “Carpenter” (Esther Ingraham, age 82, widow of Daniel?) and a Caroline “Carpenter” (Caroline Sawyer/Leiniger?) living with a John Carpenter, age 20, possibly a son of sister Susan Carpenter and her husband John in a household with several others.In any case, it is as Caroline Sawyer, not Leiniger, that she is buried in Geauga Co., OH in 1875, age 72.
4. Esther? b. 18 Nov 1805 Bradford Co., PA.She married Amasa Manley in Hambden Twp., Geauga Co., OH in 1830 and seems to be Daniel and Esther’s daughter.
5. John/Joseph P.? b. 1805-10, Bradford Co., PA.It is Joseph P. Ingraham who takes out a license to marry Sarah Snell on 24 May 1822 and John P. Ingraham who takes out another bond for the same bride on 22 May 1827.Presumably they are the same man [maybe Jno vs Jos. and bad handwriting?].Daniel and Esther did list a son of the right age on the 1820 census and they may have still been the only Ingrahams in the county at that time.
6. Lydia b.c. 1808, Bradford Co., PA; m. 1824 Geauga Co., OH to Julius Seymour.She is shown to be Daniel and Esther’s daughter by the fact that she and her family were living in the same household with Barton H. and his wife in 1850.
7. Maria? c. 1809, Bradford Co., PA; m. William H. Manley (brother of Esther Ingraham’s husband Amasa Manley?) in Mar 1830 in Hambden Twp., Geauga Co., OH.She seems to have died soon after, as her husband remarries in Aug of the next year.Henry Ingraham will later name one of his daughters Maria.
8. Samantha b. 1811, Bradford Co., PA; m. 1829, Hambden Twp., Geauga Co., OH to Caleb Winterstein.Daniel and Esther are named as her parents on her 1878 death record.
9. Nathaniel H. b. 1815, Bradford Co., PA; m. 18 Hambden Twp., Geauga Co., OH to Nancy M. Whemple.In 1854 they moved to Dane Co., Wisconsin, where a biography of Nathaniel written for the local county history names his parents as Daniel and Esther Ingraham, natives of Connecticut, who moved from Pennsylvania to Geauga Co., OH in 1825.
10. Barton H. b. 1818, Bradford Co., PA; m. Lucinda _____.He is shown to be Daniel and Esther’s son for the same reasons as Henry above.
11. Susan Ann b.c. 1820, Bradford Co., PA; m. 1842, Geauga Co., OH to John F. Carpenter.In 1850, her widowed mother Esther Ingraham is living with Susan’s family.In 1860, both mother Esther Ingraham and unmarried sister Huldah Ingraham are in the household.
Nathaniel Hickok has been suggested in the past as possibly Daniel Ingraham’s father-in-law, as he was living with him in 1840 and it was known that Nathaniel Hickok had gone to Geauga Co., OH to be with a married daughter.However, his daughter has been proved to have been someone else and two of Daniel’s children, Barton and Caroline, later addressed Nathaniel Hickok as “cousin.”I’ve researched Nathaniel’s family a little and there are a couple of Ingraham intermarriages, although I’m sure of the exact connection.He and Daniel Ingraham were both from Middlesex Co., CT and then both moved to Bradford Co., PA where they lived for many years.
Another thought I have had about Esther’s family is a note I found on an Ancestry.com entry that states that in 1793 Daniel Ingraham helped move the Barnes family to New York to join the Jemima Wilkeson colony (where Daniel’s father Eleazer, but not his mother Lydia (Guthrie) had located), but that Daniel returned to Connecticut.I found that Samuel and Abigail (Coe) Barnes seem to be the family referred to.Esther is not listed as one of the children they brought to New York in histories of the “Jerusalem” settlement, but could she have been an older daughter left behind in Connecticut?Or maybe she wasn’t and the reason Daniel helped the Barnes move was because he wanted to visit his father.
I’m very interested in the marriage you found for a Daniel Ingraham and Huldah Sweatland.The Huldah you mentioned buried in Geauga Co., OH was definitely Daniel’s daughter.Was she named for her mother?If so, her older brother Henry b. 1796 would have been Huldah Sweatland’s first child.He later named his first child Esther and didn’t pass down the name Huldah, but that might have been because Esther was the mother who raised him.
Another possibility is that Huldah was Esther.People changed their names in the old days at least as often as they do today.Maybe Esther was her middle name?
The other Ingraham marriage mentioned in the same source was Chloe Ingraham who married John Keeny on 13 Jul 1790.Chloe was daughter of Nathaniel and Experience Ingraham.Nathaniel was son of Nathaniel and Sarah (Pitts) Ingraham, who like Daniel’s father Eleazer were followers of Jemima Wilkeson and otherwise closely associated.I believe they were cousins of some kind.