This may just confuse matters more, but here is my file on the different Francis Jetts. It is possible that some of the FJs I have listed separately are, in fact, the same individuals, but what is presented here is the best I can do on the information that I have.
All I can say is that these folks are hard to keep straight!
1.1. Francis Jett, b. 1683, d. 1724, King George County/Stafford; son of William Jett and Elizabeth Hoskins Wood Jett; Spouse (1) Sarah Saxton/Axton, (2) Elizabeth Underwood Thatcher Jett. Sons: Peter Jett (Rebecca Bowen), William, Francis, Margaret, Ann, Elizabeth. Brother John Jett, who married Gladys Spillman.
Elizabeth Underwood (d/o William (and Mary Butler?) Underwood), b. bef 1682, m. (1) Sylvester Thatcher, Jr., m. (2) Warwick Cammock, m. (3) ~1717 Francis Jett, who died 1723-24. Her will dated 15 April 1726, proved 2 Sept. 1726. Her children from first marriage: Margaret, Elizabeth, William, and possibly Thomas.
1723/4 (KG WBA1:47) JETT, Francis (d.i. 1723/4) OB1, p. 154,8: 7 Feb 1723/4: Admin on est. of Francis JETT, deceased, is granted to Elizabeth JETT his widow and she gave bond as adm. with Richard TUTT and John GILBERT [her brothers-in-law] securities (BB#1, p. 2b, 8 Feb 1723). Ct. Ord 6 Mar 1723/4 inventory taken, rec. 5 Jun 1724 in I#1, p. 38-41 and signed by Elizabeth JETT, adm. OB#1, p. 533: 6 Nov 1730: Ct. Order dated 5 Dec 1724 together with rept of Nicholas SMIT, Gent., presented into court by William JETT, vizt: Pursuant to within order did within a few days aft the date thereof state and settle all accounts therein mentioned and found yet remaining 11:11:6 pds. of est. of Francis JETT, deceased, in hands of his son, William JETT. S/Nicholas SMITH. (King George County, Virginia Will Book A-1, 1721-1752 & Miscellaneous Notes, George Harrison Sanford King, Fredericksburg, VA, 1978, SHP, Easley, SC, 1986)
From Bill Deyo post, Jan 23, 2000, on Genforum:
"Jeter L. Jett had confused several Jetts by the given names of Francis and Peter. Most of the mixup occurred in the children of William Jett and Elizabeth Hoskins. This couple had a Francis Jett who m (1) traditionally Sarah Claxton or Saxton (whom I believe was Axton, the neighboring family!) and (2) Elizabeth (Underwood) Thatcher. This Francis Jett was the father of Peter Jett who married Rebecca Bowen, daughter of Stephen Bowen. Jeter L. Jett incorrectly stated that Peter Jett (husband of Rebecca Bowen) was the son of John Jett (wife Gladis), son of William Jett and Elizabeth Hoskins. I did a comprehensive study of the tax lists and showed Jeter L. Jett that his ancestor, Francis Jett (who m. Miss Simms)was of the line of John Jett and Gladis."
2. Francis Jett, ?; son of Francis (1682-1724). May have died 1761.
2.1 Francis Jett, son of Francis Jett and Sarah Saxton, died 1761 or 1766?
3. Francis Jett, b. ~1736, King George County, d. 22 Oct. 1791, Stafford County; son of Peter Jett, Rebecca Bowen; Spouse: Barsheba Porch Jett (d. 1817); Children: (according to reconstructed will in court documents, see citation below) -Sons: Francis (Charlotte Limbrick), Peter (Lucretia Maddox), Berryman (Sarah Carter), John (Priscilla Jones), Thomas (Lucinda Owen). Daughters: Mary Sullivan (Daniel), Anne Rowley (Archibald), Susannah Burton (William), Sarah Cox (Presley), Barsheba Jett Cox (John), Fenton Jett Roberson (George), Juda (Judy) Jett (Newton Cox), and Elizabeth Jett Starke (William).Brother: William Jett (schoolmaster). Sisters: Susannah Payne (Francis), Mary Hempstead, Ann Connelly, Elizabeth Curtis, Margaret Threlkeld, and Sarah Jones. William Winlock in documents stated that he and Francis were among the first tobacco inspectors in Falmouth, and that he intended to leave "his plantation he bought of John Pollard" to his son Francis. This was done in FJ's will.
Francis Jett will, 1794, Stafford co., VA
Tyler'sQuarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine . Richmond, VA: Apr 1939. Vol. 20- Iss. 4, pages 234-238.
King George County, VA Deed Book 2 pp163-164
Indenture made 14th January 1737 between Henry Fitzhugh of Stafford Co. Esqr.. and Peter Jett of King George County Planter..to Farm lett 100 acres in King George County bounded upon lands of Charles Webster,William Pain & the Glebe..for term of natural lives of said Peter Jett, Rebecca his wife & Francis Jett his son..to pay 500 pounds Tobacco & Cask yearly at Feast of St. Luke ..roll'd to such convenient Rolling Houses or warehouses on the waterside..four hens & quit rents.
Presence George Lee, Henry Fitzhugh Geo: Fraser Peter Jett At a court held 3rd February 1737 ..Lease Record.
Deed Book 5 pp 900-903 On margin. "Original deed to S. Hansford for Eliza. Bowen Widow of John Bowen 17th Sept. 1796"
Indenture made (undated) between William Fitzhugh Junr. and Nathal. Harrison of one part &John Bowen in consideration of rents & covenants ..farm lett 100 acres of land with appurtenances .. in parish Brunswick in county King George being part of a tract of land of 2000 acres & called the White Oak Tract ..uponWm. Payne, John Payne, John Smith & Peter Jett 100 acres of land..to have and hold to John Bowen, James Bowen & Francis Bowen..paying yearly the sum of 544 pounds of Tobacco made on the premises..first payment due25th December 1771 ..
Presence James Went, James Bowen, James Wente junr. Nathal. Harrison
At a court held 5th September 1771..Deed of lease proved ..admitted to record.
The Jett and allied Families by Jeter Lee Jett, Kilmarnock, Virginia 22482 1977.
May 22, 1784 . Probated Aug 5, 1784 In the name of God Amen, I, Peter Jett of King George Co., Va and the parish of Brunswick, I recommend my soul into the hands of Al God... I bequeath unto my daughters,Mary Humstead and Ann Conely , my ... I bequeth unto John Pratt Bowen , my lease bought from John Reuben Payne, being the same land whereon said Payne now lives. And also to John Pratt Bowen, one be, one table and furniture. It is my desire. I bequeath unto my daughter Elizabeth CurtisI bequeath unto my daughter Susanna Payne I bequeath unto my daughter Margaret Thielkild I Bequeath unto my daughterSarah Jones I bequeath unto my grandson Jesse Thielkild I bequeath unto my granddaughter Susanna Humstead I bequeath unto my sons Francis and William Jett and daughter Mary Humstead and Ann Conely. Sons Francis and William and John Pratt Bowen Executors.
STYLE : Henderson vs Winlock & Jett
PLAINTIFF(s) : Henderson Ferguson and Gibson; Alexander Henderson; Robert
DEFENDANT(s) : Winlock & Jett; Francis Jett; William Winlock
PLACES MENTIONED : Stafford; Westmoreland
REMARK(s) : Tobacco - inspection at the Falmouth warehouse
CITATION : Henderson vs Winlock & Jett / 1792 / CR-DC-L / 386-56
STYLE : Curtis vs Jett
PLAINTIFF(s) : John Curtis
DEFENDANT(s) : Peter Jett
DEPONENT(s) : Samuel Reeds; Darby Sullivant
PLACES MENTIONED : Stafford; Prince William; KY (Fayette); King George
REMARK(s) : Deed - John Hackley to John Curtis - King George - 1760
Deed - Samuel Reeds to Francis Jett - King George - 1761 @
Slaves - Tom; Port; Jane; Billah
Will - Elizabeth Hackley - King George - 1755/1756
Will - Francis Jett - Stafford - 1791
CITATION : Curtis vs Jett / 1802? / CR-DC-L / 563-52
One website indicates Barsheba was a Berryman, not a Porch.
3. Francis Jett, b. 1773 in Stafford, died 8 June 1853 in Stafford; living in Stafford County in 1820; Son of: Francis Jett (1736-1791) and Barsheba Porch Jett. Inherited a plantation bought by his father of John Pollard. Married (1) Charlotte Limbrick/Limerick, (2) Ellen ___. Sons: Francis S. (Frances Butler), Peter Stark (Fenton Robertson).
4. Francis S. Jett, b. June 9, 1800; Spouse: Frances Butler.
5. John Francis Jett, b. 1800; Son of: Berryman Jett; Grandson of: Francis Jett (1736-1791); age of 20 in 1820 court case.
6. Francis Jett, b. ~1687, Sittingberg Parish, Richmond County, VA, d. 1741 Stafford; Spouse: Margaret Peyton/Payton/Paten; Son of: John Jett and Elizabeth Triplett;Grandson of: Francis Triplett; Sons: Burkitt, Francis Jr. and John William. Siblings: John, Abigail, William, Peter?.
Will of Francis Triplett of Richmond County, VA, dated 24 Nov 1700, proved 4 March 1701 has following "6thly, I doe give unto Francis Jett, son of John Jett and Elizabeth his wife one young mare and her increase forever." This Francis grandson of Peter Jett and Mary Triplett, and likely named after his other grandfather, Francis.
Will Book 3, Richmond Co, Virginia
p. 18-20 Will probated 6 Sept 1710
p. 97 Inventory and appraisal recorded 6 Aug 1712
7. Francis Jett, b. 1725 in King George, d. 1796-97 in Fauquier; Spouse: Mary (Hutchinson); Son of: Francis Jett and Margaret Peyton. Children (possibly): Daniel, Burkett, George, Sarah and Elizabeth Jett Dearing (John).Also William? and Francis?
For marriage: According to Ernest Jett, Genforum post July 29, 2005, "This is not proved, but info was taken from old papers found at the Westmoreland Co. Historial Library."
"Then in 1791, a Francis Jett gives slaves to his sons Francis Jett Jr. and William"
This Francis is the one with a daughter named Jane Jett Pinkard (John), and a granddaughter Jane Pinkard. He sold land to John Pinkard, and in this deed it mentions that he purchased the land of a Mr. Turner in Prince William County, VA in 1754.
"Prince William County Order Book 1752-1753, page 2. Francis Jett was appointed surveyor of a road from Goose Creek to Francis Jett to Barton's tract and then to John Neavil, May 1755.
Prince William County Order Book 1752-1753, page 107. The court decrees approval of a lease from Thomas Turner to David Barton for lives, Francis Jett, witness, 26 May 1756."
9. Francis Jett, d. 1766, King George; Spouse: Catherine; Brothers: Thomas, Burkett?; Nephew William Storke Jett. Sons: Stephen Jett?, Daughters: Betty Jett, Frances Jett Lindsay (Opie) and Ann Jett Brown (William). May have owned land in Fauquier, but sold it prior to his death (check deeds for more info).
"According to the William and Mary Quarterly article "Some Jetts (1681-1851)," by John Bailey Calvert Nicklin (Vol. 19, No. 2, p. 146, published in the 1920's), the Francis Jett who died in King George County in 1766, was the brother of Burkett Jett and Thomas Jett.
Although Thomas was appointed executor of the will of Francis (who died in 1766), it was apparently the wife of Francis, Catherine, who was appointed executrix. In 1768, she conveyed his land in King George County to Richard Payne and Anthony Peyton. Francis had a sister-in-law from the Peyton family. From all of these facts, it is clear that this Francis Jett is the one who is listed on Page 18 of JTR, as the son of William Jett and Ann White."
"In July 1813, William Brown (whose wife, the former Ann Jett, had died), age 62, gives a deposition in which he states that he thinks the debt was paid during the lifetime of his father-in-law Francis Jett, from the proceeds of the sale of a valuable tract of land in Fauquier County."
"The Catherine Bronaugh that married Francis Jett was the daughter of Jeremiah Bronaugh Jr. (son of Jeremiah 1st), who (evidenced by a codicil to Jeremiah Sr's will) died intestate before 1748, leaving two children, Catherine and Benjamin. Samuel I was the brother of Elizabeth Bronaugh, however, Samuel II was the son of Francis Bronaugh, brother of Thomas. Catherine Bronaugh Jett died before1760."
King George County, VA pp. 760-762 Deed Book 5
Indenture made 2nd July 1768 between Catherine Jett only acting Executrix of Francis Jett deced late of county King George and Richard Payneof said county of one part and Anthony Payton also of said county .. Whereas Francis Jett in his lifetime for sum One Hundred and fifty three pounds current money had set under mortgage to said Richard a parcel of and in King George County whereonFrancis Jett resides containing 300 acres of thereabouts..and whereas Francis Jett by his last will and testament among other things did direct the parcel of land to be sold for payment of his debts and the saidRichard Payne the Mortgagee willing to join in a conveyance for said tract of land with Catherine Jett ..This Indenture Therefore Witnesseth that Catherine Jett and Richard Payne for sum Two hundred and ninety nine pounds paid by Anthony Payton sold the said tract of land..
Presence Thos. Drake, Catherine Jett Wm. Boon, Jno. Payne, Richd. Payne Birdett Jett
At a court held 7th July 1768 ..Deed proved ..admitted to record.
10. Francis Jett; spouse Sally Sims, 19 Dec 1793, Westmoreland County.
11. Francis Jett, b. 1792, d. ? ; Spouse: Elizabeth Wood (d/o Dickerson Wood and Hannah Withers) m. 20 May 1815 Culpepper County.
Francis Jett (son of James Jettand Lennah Frances Marta ) was born 18 Sep 1792 in Culpeper County, Virginia 511 , and died 9 Nov 1859 in Bond County, Illinois 511. He married Elizabeth Woodon 20 May 1815 in Culpeper County, Virginia
12. Francis Jett, b.? d. 1835, Fauquier County; Spouse: unknown; Children: Eliza (wife of Charles McLearen), Lucy (wife of Nathaniel Miller), Sarah (wife of Leroy Wine), Edward, Elijah, Presley, Humphrey, Ann (wife of William Jeffries), Hannah (wife of James Rogers), Fanny (wife of John Smoot), Polly (wife of first Burkett Jett, then later Chapman Grant), Matilda (wife of Daniel Pilcher) (From court documents which can be viewed in the Chancery Court Index at the Library of Virginia's web site).
13. Francis Jett, b. abt 1734, son of William Jett and Anne _____, married Catherine Bronaugh
"In 1760, probably the same Francis Jett leases land in Leeds Manor (northwest county) for his life and that of Daniel and Francis Jr. (most likely his sons). Then in 1761, he and his wife Elizabeth sell 300 acres to ThomasBronaugh of Stafford County. This Francis Jett is identified as a resident of King George County. He acquired the land from his first wife Catherine Bronaugh, who had inherited it from her father Jeremiah Bronaugh (identified as "Jr." elsewhere)..
Some sources say that the Francis Jett born in 1734 and married to CatherineBronaugh, died in King George County in 1766. But that might have been another Francis Jett. Another source says that the Francis Jett who died in 1766, had brothers named Burkett and Thomas. But that is true for two men named Francis Jett. One is reportedly the son of William Jett and Ann White; the other is reportedly the son of John Jett and Isabel James."
15. Francis M. Jett, listed as age 19 in 1850 Fauquier census, living in houshold of William Jett, age 86. William H. Jett, age 23, also living in household. No women listed.
16. FRANCIS JETT, b. Bet. 1715 - 1745; d. 1771, King George County, Virginia; m. ELIZABETH BAILEY; b. Bet. 1715 - 1750.