Capt. Edward Johnson
Author of the celebrated history of New England, Called the "Wonderworking Providence," was baptized in Canterbury, County Kent, England, Sept. 16 or 17, 1598, and died in Woburn, Apr. 23, 1672. His father was William Johnson.
1.Feb. 17, 1593-4, Matthew, son of William
2.22d of ---, 1594, George, son of William
3.Jan. 18, 1595-6, George , son of William
4.Sept. 16 or 17, 1598, Edard, son of William
5.Sept. 6, 1601, Elizabeth, dau. of William, bur. 14th.
6.Aug. 8, 1602, Thomas, son o fWilliam
7.March 18, 1602-3, Daniel and Bartholomew, son of William
Apr. 10, 1604, is noted the burial of Susan, wife of William Johns. Under Aug. 25, 1617, I found noted a license for William Johnnson, of St. Geroge's, Canterbury, joiner, and Ann Cobb, widow and their marriage noted under August 24. Sept 27,
Sorry, I missed coping page 4-5, I will do so next vist to the library.
3. GEORGE JOHNSON(Capt. Edward), baptized Apr. 3, 1625, in Canterbury, England, married Katherine---, who survived him. He died in Somerset County, Maryland, in 1681.
4. WILLIAM JOHNSON(Capt. Edward), baptized Mar. 22, 1628-9, in Canterbury, England, married, May 16, 1655, Esther, or Hester, daughter of Elder Thomas Wiswall of Dorchester and Newton. She died Dec. 27, 1707. He died May 22, 1704. He attained to high civic office, was one of the magistrates or assistants of the Colony, and a military officer of the several ranks from ensign to major.
a. William, b. 2/26/1656
b. Edward, b. 3/19/1658
c. Ebenezer, b. 3/29/1660
d. Esther, b. 4/13/1662; m. 12/17/1685, Lieut. Seth Wyman;d. 3/31/1742.
e. Joseph, b. 6/14/1664
f. Benjmain, b. 10/15/1666
g. Josiah, b. 1/15/1669
h. Susanna, b. 6/29/1671; m. 6/6/1704, Daniel Reed, as his second wife.
i. Abigail, b. 10/4/1674; m. 6/14/1705, Samuel Pierce
5. MATTHEW JOHNSON(Capt. Edward), baptized Mar. 30, 1633, in Canterbury, England, married first, Nov. 12, 1656, Hannah, daughter of Peter Palfrey of Salem and Reading, who died Aug. 1, 1662; and married second, Oct. 23, 1662, Rebecca, daughter of Elder John Wiswall of Boston, who died Dec. 25, 1709. He was a sergeant and lieutenant in Woburn. He died July 19, 1696, aged 62.
a. Rebecca, b. 3/1/1665; m. 1692, Samuel Wyman
b. Matthew, b. 3/18/1667
c. Hannah, b. 4/23/1669; m. Samuel Simonds
d. Samuel b. 4/28/1672
e. Ruth, b. 1/1/1675; m. 1/10/1697, John Reed
f. Sarah, b. 4/14/1677; m. 1/17,1699-1700, Daniel Reed; d. 1703.
g. Lydia, m. Sanuel Blogget
h. Henry, b. 4/7/1683.
6. JOHN JOHNSON (Capt. Edward)was baptized May 10, 1635, in Canterbury, England, and died in Canterbury, Conn. He married,
April 26, 1657, Bethia, daughter of William and Mabel Reed. She died in Canterbury, Conn., about 1718.
a. John, b. 1/24/1659; m. Mary, daug. of William Carley of Lexington.
b. Bethia, b. 1/20/1660; m. (1) Jonathan Knight of Cambridge; (2)---Woolcott, of Cambridge, 1697.
c. William, b. 9/29/1662; of Canterbury, Conn.
d. Obadiah, b. 6/15/1664; of Canterbury, Conn.
e. Joseph, b. about 1666
f. Samuel, b. 10/29/1670
g. Nathaniel, b. 5/15, 1673.
7. WILLIAM JOHNSON (Maj. William, Capt. Edward)born Mar. 19, 1658, married first, Jan. 12 1687, Sarah, daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Reed) Walker, wo died May 31, 1704; and married second, Abigail (Gardner) Thompson, widow of James Thompson and daughter of Richard and Anna (Blanchard) Gardner. He was an ensign, lieutenant, and captain of a Woburn military company, between 1693 and 1724. He died Aug. 7, 1725, in Woburn.
Children by first wife:
a. Edward, b. 10/12,1687; d. 1/3/1688
b. Edward, b. 5/4/1689
c. Sarah, m. (1) John Simonds; (2) Samuel Richardson
d. Esther, b. 1/26/1694; m. 1716, John Stearns of Billerica
e. Samuel, b. 2/21/1696
f. Abigail, m. 12/11/171, Timothy Richardson
g. Susanna, b. 1/14/1701; m. 5/23/1722, Samuel Jones; resided in Wilmington and Marlborough.
h. Ichabod, b. 4/22/1703; killed 5/8/1725, in Lovewell's Fight. Of six Woburn men in Lovewell's company, one was killed and three were wounded.
Children by second wife:
a. Elizabeth, b. 11/6/1705; m. 1/1/1723, Joseph Winn. Resided at Nottingham West, N.H.
b. Joseph, b. 6/22/1708.
9. EBENEZER JOHNSON (Maj. William, Capt. Edward), b. March 29, 1660, married, Apr. 13, 1691, Sarah, daughter of Ensign Joseph and Rebecca (Reed) Winn of Woburn. She died Oct. 23, 1733. He was a sergeant. He died March 17, 1737.
a. Ebenezer, b. 4/11/1692; d. 4/14/1692
b. Sarah, b. 9/28/1693
c. Abigail, b. 6/13/1697; m. (1) 1/24/1717, Oliver Farmer of Billerica; (2) 5/27/1766, Capt. James Lane of Bedford;d. 2/25/1773, a. 75.
d. Ebenezer, b. 9/7/1699
e. William, b. 9/7/1699; d. 2/11/1708
f. Joseph, b. 2/9/1702
g. Timothy, b. 7/15/1705
h. Rebecca, d. 12/10/1739, aged about 31 years (gravestone)
10. BENJAMIN JOHNSON (Maj. William, Capt. Edward), born Oct. 15, 1666, married, Nov. 22, 1699, Sarah, daughter of Joseph and Sarah (Wyman)Walker of Billerica. He died Apr. 22, 1733; and she died Jan. 17, 1749. He was known as sergeant from 1700 to the time of his death.
a. Benjmain, b. 10/8/1700
b. Josiah, b.7/28/1702;m. Elizabeth---;resided in Billerica
c. Seth, b. 4/23/1707
d. Sarah, b. 3/19/1709; m. David Comee of Lexington
e. Hannah, b. 9/7/1710
f. Esther, b. 2/2/1715; m. 10/21/1736, John Wood
11. JOSIAH JOHNSON(Maj. William, Capt. Edward), born Jan. 15, 1669, married first, Jan. 24, 1706, Martha Whitmore of Medford, who died Aug. 25, 1716, aged 30; and married second, Deborah (Fifield) Jackson, widow of Lieut. John Jackson of Cambridge and daughter of Giles and Judith (Carter-Converse) Fifield of Charlestown. She died Feb. 5, 1724; and he died Dec. 16, 1739.
Children from first wife:
Martha, b. 11/3/1706; m. Gershom Flagg
b. Abigail, b. 4/4/1708; m. 7/24/1728, Zurishaddai Pierce
c. Josiah, b. 2/24/1710
d. Francis, b. 2/13/1712
e. Hannah, b. 8/19/1716; m. 11/16/1743, Benjamin Tufts of Medford; d. 2/2/1796, aged 80.
Child by second wife:
a. Giles, b. 4/12/1718
12. MATTHEW JOHNSON (Lieut. Matthew, Capt. Edward), born Mar. 18, 1667, married first, Dec. 12, 1695, Mary, daughter of George and Hannah (Rockwell) Reed of Woburn, who died Oct. 4, 1703; married second, Nov. 30, 1704, Alice Ward, who died July 31, 1727; and married third, Hannah, daughter of John Trask of Beverly. He died Aug. 8, 1740. His will, dated June 3, 1737, probated Sept. 1, 1740, mentions wife Hannah; daughters, Mary Knight, Hannah Cooper, and Sarah Blogget; and grandson Matthew Johnson. His widown Hannah was executrix, with the assistance of her brother Nathaniel Trask of Lexington.
a. Mary, b. 9/12/1696; m. 11/1717, Ebenezer Knight
b. Hannah, b. 11/28/1699; m. (1) 10/21/1725, John Cooper of Cambridge; (2) int. 9/30/1738, Benjamin Crackbone.
c. Matthew, b. 9/3/1702
d. Sarah, b. 9/15/1703; m. 5/14/1722, John Blogget
13. SAMUEL JOHNSON(Lieut. Matthew, Capt. Edward), born Apr. 28, 1672, married Mary ---. He removed to Lancaster, where he died about 1740.
a. Samuel, b. 7/7/1705; of Dorchester; was admr. of estate of his father, Samuel Johnson of Lancaster, in 1740. It was probably he who m. Mary Snow, in Lancaster, July 25, 1734. On Mar. 5, 1739, he, then of Boston, calling himself a soldier, conveys land in Lancaster to Daniel Johnson (his brother) of Boston, Tailor. He m. Aug. 16, 1739, Rebecca Niles of Dorchester, and had a son Henry, b. in Dorchester, 9/6/1740, who is mentioned in the will of Henry Johnson. IN 1740 and 1741, Samuel Johnson of Dorchester, Mary Johnson of Scituate, Daniel Johnson of Lancaster, Joshua Johnson of Lancaster, and Mary Johnson of Lancaster, widow of Samuel, convey land in Lancaster to Eleazer Flagg, of Boston, Retailer.
b. Mary, b. 1/8/1707; of Scitnate, Mass., in 1740
c. Daniel, b. 9/20/1708; of Boston and Lancaster
d. Joshua, b. 4/17/1712; of Lancaster
e. Elizabeth, b. 12/20/1717; not living in 1740
14. HENRY JOHNSON(Lieut. Matthew, Capt. Edward, born Apr. 7, 1683, died in 1754.
15. WILLIAM JOHNSON(William, Maj. William, Capt. Edward), born 8/28/1686, married first, Jan. 1, 1708, Sarah, daughter of Richard and Sarah (Greenleaf) Dole of Newbury, who died Oct. 14, 1710, aged 29, in Woburn; and married second, Hannah, daughter of Joseph and REbecca (Patten) Davis of Billerica (Middx.Co. Prob., Vol. 25, p. 156). He removed with his family from Woburn to Mansfield, Conn., where he died Feb. 29, 1752.
Children from first wife:
a. Sarah, b. 5/3/1709; m. John Noyes of Newbury
b. Dole, b. 9/30/1710; m. 1/26/1748, Abigail Freeman; resided in Mansfield, Conn.
Children from second wife:
a. William, b. 3/27/1718; m. 1/26/1748, Abigail Freeman; resided in Mansfield, Conn.
b. Hannah, b. 3/31/1719
c. Joseph, b. 4/28/1720; m. Abigail Slafter; resided in Mansfield, Conn.
d. Enoch, b. 9/16/1721
e. Rebecca, b. 4/8/1723; m. as his third wife, PrinceFreeman of Mansfield, Conn.
f. Hezekiah, b. 5/12/1724; m. Dorothy Slafter of Mansfield, Conn.; d. at Norwich, Vt.
Captain Edward Johnson
of Woburn, Massachusetts
and some of His descendants
By Edward Francis Johnson
Press of David Clapp & Son