The Tennessee family of Johnston comes from the line of the four brothers who were born near Dublin, Ireland, in the middle of the Eighteenth Century. These four brothers, JOHN Johnston, JOSEPH Johnston, FRANCIS Johnston and WILLIAM Johnston had three sister, MARGARET Johnson, NANCY Johnston and JEAN Johnston. Margaret married a Mr. Shaw, Nancy a Mr. Henderson and Jean a Mr. Jones.
It is the belief of the family that they sprang from the Annandale Johnstons and that one of the family wnet over into Ireland during the perscution and married an Irish lady.
John Johnston, the eldest child of the foregoing group was born near Dublin, Ireland, in 1735. His half brother, Joseph Johnston, was born near Dublin February 28, 1745, the births of the other five brothers and sister have not been given.
The family of four brothers emigrated from Ireland to Pennsylvania about the year 1768. Two years later they went to Virginia and there made settlements in 1770. John Johnston settled in Rockbridge Counyt, Virginia, married and raised a family.
The seven brothers and sisters who came from Dublin to America about the year 1768 will be taken up in the following order:
1. John Johnston
2. Joseph Johnston
3. Francis Johnston
4. William Johnston
5. Margaret Johnston
6. Nancy Johnston
7. Jean Johnston
I. John Johnston
John Johnston, eldest of the group of brothers who emigrated to America from Ireland about the year 1768, was the only son of his mother and was a half brother to Joseph, Francis, William, Margaret, Nancy and Jean.
He was born near Dublin about 1735 and emigrated to America about 1768. They moved to Virginia bout 1770 and from there to Washington County, Tennessee about the year 1800. he died there about 1806. He had married and had a family. Some of his chidlren remained in Virginia, but his son Samuel Johnston accompanied him to Tennessee and after his father's death moved to Blount County.
Samuel Johnston married Nancy Shaw and died in 1846.
1. John Johnston, second
2. Samuel McMillian Johnston
3. Esther Johnston
4. Margaret Johnston
5. William Johnston
6. Josiah Johnston
7. Francis Johnston
8. James Harvey Johnston
9. Anna Johnston
10. Hamilton Johnston
1. John Johnston the eldest son of Samuel Johnston and Nancy Shaw Johnston married Keziah Rown in 1815.
2. Samuel McMillian Johnston, son of Samuel Johnston and Nancy Shaw Johnston, married his cousin, Margaret Johnston, daughter of Joseph Johnston, about 1817. Their children were: Nancy A. (who married Z. Edwards and had Samuel Edwards, William Edwards and Sarah Edwards, all of whom died without issue and Margaret Edwards who married W.H. Lowry and had four children); James Harvey Johnson (who married Jane Caldwell in 1845 and had six children); Ebenezer E. Johnson (who married Armina Montgomery in 1846 and had four children); Lucinda Jane Johnston (who married O.H.P. Caldwell in December 1843 and had five children, James A. Caldwell who married Elizabeth Gillespie and has Percy A. Caldwell, Rhobie Caldwell married Fred Smallman and Elsie Caldwell married Roland Olmstead; Alice Caldwell; Mary Caldwell; Samuel Caldwell; and Sarah Caldwell); Jefferson LaFayette Johnston (who married Bettie Blair in 1858 and had one child and, after her death married Bettie McGhee and had five children. Among their children are: Hugh M. Johnston, who married Lillie Shipp and has
two daughters, Lynn Russell Johnston and Elizabeth Johnston, Samuel Hugh Hardin, who married Lillie Shipp and has Thomas H. Johnston, whose wife was Nona G. McDermott. They have Hugh Samuel Johnston and Louise Johnston.
Ester Johnston (who married Peter Hardin and left one son, Samuel M. Hardin, who married Lillie Shipp and has no children); Margaret Johnston (who married J.F. McGill and died in 1910, haveing had eight children, five of whom are living).
3. Esther Johnston, married Josiah Rown in 1819. They had several children, one of whom was Colonel John A. Rowan who command 62 Tennessee Confederate Regiment.
4. Margaret Johnston, married her cousin, Samuel Johnston, son of Joseph Johnston in 1818.
5. William Johnsotn, married Nancy Finley in 1820.
6. Josiah Johnston, married Clarissa Prater about 1828.
7. Francis Johnston, married Jane Ferguson in 1838.
8. James Harvey Johnston, married Nancy Walker in 1835.
9. Anna Johnsotn, never married.
10. Hamilton Johnsotn, married Isabella Auneau in 1835.
Notable Southern Families
Compiled by Zella Armstrong
Six Volumes in Three
Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc.