You should be able to reach me at lcoc @ bellsouth.netThat first letter is an L .
I really don't have anything definite prior to Hugh Jones.
He is an excerpt from my file:
Sir Charles Jones is believed to have been the grandfather of Hugh below. Charles emigrated to America from Wales "because he could not abide Oliver Cromwell's Roundheads". When Charles II ascended the throne, Sir Charles was given an estate near Annapolis. The estate was "lost through the burning of the courthouse about 1704. This estate supposedly consisted of about 1,200 acres on the Severn River. Due to the difficulty in getting the grant revived, the family gave up and moved to Virginia"..from Dr. Bill Foster of State College, Texas in his book THE FOSTER FAMILY.
Whether this man was the grandfather of Hugh below, I do not know. Information concerning two generations prior to Hugh has beenshared with me in 2004 by Al Barrs, Jr.Whether Charles Jones is our ancestor or Richard Jones instead, I don’t know at this point. The wife of Sir Charles is not currently identified.
1. son, probably the father of Hugh Jones. --- needs much further research m. – unknown
The following two generations supplied by All Barrs, Jr. in 2004:
Richard Jones b. ca 1644 in Wales m. Mary – (surname unknown) ca 1675 Cilycwm, Carmarthenshire, Wales
1. Richard Jones Jr. b. ca 1676 Cilycwm 2. Elizabeth Jones b. ca 16878 Cilycwm 3. Mary Jones b. ca 1680 Cilycwm 4. Lettice Jones b. ca 1682 Cilycwm 5. Sarah Jones b. ca 1684 Cilycwm 6. Daughter b. ca 1686 7. Daughter b. ca 1688 8. Daughter b. ca 1690 9. David Jones b. ca 1693 10.John Jones b. ca 1695, possibly father of Hugh Jones later? This man left a will 16 Jan 1721 in Carmarthan, Wales. Was he Hugh’s father?
FAMILY OF REVEREND HUGH JONES OF ORANGE COUNTY, VIRGINIA
Rev. Hugh Jones b. ca 1720 probably in Orange Co. VA. He was listed on the 1752 Orange County, Virginia tax list. His will was dated 5 Oct 1788, probated 24 Oct 1791 in Orange County. See transcript later this document. He was the great x 7 grandfather of Brian Todd Cockerham. Several sources say Hugh was an immigrant from Carmarthan, Carmarthenshire, Wales.
m.(1) Elizabeth Garnette (Her surname has been reported by various sources as Garnette, Foster, Morton and De Jarnette. I’m working on that one.- LDC Apparently this lady died about 1785 and Hugh re-married. Most agree Elizabeth was the mother of the children.
m. (2) Catey, identified on Hugh’s will.
Hugh Jones and wife Elizabeth (surname not sure),parents of:
1. Hugh Jones Jr. 1740-1752 2.George Garnett Jones b. 13 Jun 1743 d. May 1830 George served in the Revolutionary War and is buried at Cub Creek in Wilkes County, NC. There is much more information on him in Foster file. m. (1) Phoebe Foster 10 Jan 1769 in Orange Co. VA, daughter of Thomas Foster Sr. and Ann Garnette. SEE FOSTER OUTLINE FOR THE FAMILY OF GEORGE AND PHOEBE. m. (2) -- 3. Morton Jones b. 10 Aug 1747 d. 8 Nov 1841 Morton served as a private in Capt. Joe Spencer's Virginia Company and as a sergeant in Capt. Gailard Burnley's Virginia regiment in the Revolutionary War and received a pension. He was present at the surrender of Lord Cornwallis at Yorktown, VA. m. Frances Foster 13 Nov 1768She was the sister of Pheobe above. SEE FOSTER OUTLINE.
4. Benjamin Jones b. 1750 d. 27 Dec 1820Benjamin also served in the Revolutionary War and received a pension. He was a private in Captain Edmund Terrell's Company. He also was present at the surrender of Lord Cornwallis at Yorktown, Virginia. m. Elizabeth Foster 12 May 1774 Orange County, Virginia (b. 1758) She was the sister of Phoebe and Frances shown earlier.
1. Oscar Jones 2. Phoebe Jones b. 1775 3. Francis Jones b. ca 1784
Hugh Jones and wife Elizabeth, parents of:
4. Benjamin Jones b. 1750 (see previous) m. Elizabeth Foster (see previous)
4. Mildred Amelia Jones b. ca 1785 Orange Co. VA d. 1821 Wilkes Co. m. John Martin 10 Dec 1805 Wilkes Co. (b. 9 Mar 1781 Fluvanna Co. VA 5. Elizabeth Louise Jones m. George Foster Jr. 6 Nov 1789 ??? (not sure!)
5. Catlett Jones b. 15 Jun 1749 d. 6 Sep 1879 in Colombiana County, Ohio. He was a colonel in the Revolutionary War. According to Mr. Richard Steele of Tunbridge, Vermont, Catlett was a Quaker who became a Friend before 1779, as were both his wives. m. (1) Ann Barksdale m. (2) Sarah Crew 15 Aug 1803 (b. 7 Apr 1772 (?) d. 2 Aug 1837
1. Ann Jones b. 4 Apr 1804 Ohio 2. Benjamin Jones b. 24 Apr 1805 Ohio d. 9 Apr 1858 m. Cynthiana Johnson 3. Catlett Jones Jr. b. 1 Oct 1807 Ohio d. 9 Jun 1879 m. Mary Cobbs 4. Joseph Jones b. 8 Sep 1809 Ohio d. 14 Dec 1809 5. Joshua Jones b. 22 Oct 1810 Ohio d. 4 Jun 1890 m. Rebecca Miller 1836 6. Frances Jones b. 3 Jun 1757 in Orange County, Virginia. d. 4 Dec 1803 in Wilkes County, North Carolina. She was the great x 6 grandmother of Brian Todd Cockerham. m. Thomas Foster Jr. 25 Feb 1777 The descendents ofthis couple are shown on the FOSTER, JOHNSON, WEAVER and COCKERHAM outlines. Thomas Jr. was the brother of the Foster sisters above.