LEONARD WORTHY KEELING was born 3 Aug 1805 in Elbert County, GA to Leonard and Elizabeth (Haynes) Keeling. The obituary of LW's wife (cited below) states that he died in 1872 and was buried at Salt Branch (Blue Ridge) Cemetery in Falls County, TX. A family story says that he left his home in Elbert County, GA in 1826. Soon thereafter the body of an unidentified young man was found in northern Georgia and the family came to believe that it was that of L. W. Nothing was heard from or about him until two of his sons serving in the Army of Northern Virginia during the Civil War found L. W.'s youngest brother, Littleton Madison Keeling (my direct ancestor), in the same army. A similar story is that one of L. W.'s sons (William Jefferson Keeling) met Asa Monroe Keeling of the Thomas Jefferson Keeling line during the same war. Another family story related to Bob Keeling's family told that one of Leonard's sons left home on a black horse and was never heard from again. This was presumably L. W.
Leonard Worthy Keeling was likely in Muskogee County, GA in 1834. According to a family letter he moved to MS for 2 years, then sold flour to Sam Houston's Texas army during the Texas War of Independence, moved to Shreveport, LA, and subsequently to Three Creeks in Cornie Twp., Union County, Arkansas, where he owned 80 acres of Section 7 near several Peoples families (see below). During part of this time he was also a teacher, which appears to be a Keeling family tradition. The 1840 census for Jackson Twp., Union County, AR has an entry for "Clarke & Keeling", listing two males aged 30-40. Soon afterward, on 7 Jan 1841, Alford Clark (born ABT 1807) married Nancy Davisson in Jackson Twp. Leonard W. Keeling married Mary "Polly" Davidson (occasionally written as Davison) on 1 Jan 1842 in Union County, AR (recorded on p. 174 of Deed Book A - both L. W. and Alford Clark were married by the same minister). In 1869 L. W. sold his land in AR and most of his family moved to Falls County, TX.
It seems likely that Nancy Davidson (who married Alford Clark) and Mary were sisters, as there were only two Davidson families in Union County in 1840 (James in Jackson Twp. and Robert in Lafayette Twp. - both paid Union County taxes in 1841). Mary Davidson was born in Giles County, TN on 25 Aug 1819 and died at the home of her son, B. D., in Limestone County, TX on 23 Sep 1901, according to her Kosse Cyclone obituary, which further states that she was buried beside her husband in Salt Branch (Blue Ridge) Cemetery in Falls County, TX, where he was buried in 1872. No marker now survives for either. Family tradition says that he died during an epidemic.
Mary's obituary also states that she had 9 children, of whom 4 were alive. In addition to the four living children, four of the remaining five were listed by name in censuses, leaving one who died too young to be listed in any census.
The nine Keeling children (all born in AR) together with birth and death dates were:
William Jefferson<26 Jun 1843><31 Mar 1890>
Eliza Jane MCKINNON16 Feb 184530 Apr 1924
B. D.15 May 184625 Feb 1922
Leonard James<12 Nov 1848>1875-1878
Henry Arthur27 Oct 185017 Apr 1930
Sarah Elizabeth SMITH16 Jan 185223 May 1890
<24 Jan 1854>BEF 1860
Margaret Marzell PARTEN13 Nov 18568 Oct 1876
David Pierce29 Jul 185928 Mar 1934
I regret that my tables of dates here and below were mangled by GenForum's software - extra spaces are deleted and a variable-width font is standard, making a tabular arrangement impossible. Family names listed in tables in caps are women's married names. Any information in brackets ("<...>", here or below) is from Internet or other sources that are difficult or impossible to confirm. This device allows one to judge which information is reasonably solid, although most information passed down through a family is expected to be reasonably accurate, even though the original sources (such as a family bible) may have been lost. Specific dates for W. J., L. J., and G. B. suggest family information, probably from the family bible (about which I know nothing). George Bruce (the missing ninth child) was listed in The Reflector, published by the Amarillo [TX] Genealogical Society (Vol. 14 - March 1972), and the bracketed dates are from the former web site of Milton Scott (origin of information unknown) and from Buddy Keeling (some of which originated with Mary Emily McKnight, a Keeling researcher from this family). Texas birth dates listed below as "delayed" are from the Texas Probate Birth Index issued by the State of Texas. Each of the 9 children of Leonard Worthy and Mary DAVIDSON Keeling in the table above is numbered and listed below in caps, followed by the grandchildren in a table, followed by detailed listings. The nine children were followed by 56 known grandchildren.
1) WILLIAM JEFFERSON KEELING was born <26 Jun 1843> and died <31 Mar 1890>. He served during the Civil War in Co. C 2nd AR Inf. Batn., which was merged into Co. G 3rd AR Inf. Regt. After the war on 14 Sep 1865 he married Sarah Amanda PEOPLES [<14 Oct 1846> - <3 Apr 1890>] in Union County, AR. According to family tradition both died in 1890, together with three of their children, during a meningitis epidemic. Eight children were listed in censuses, and the names (and dates) of three others who died too young to be recorded in censuses were obtained from Buddy Keeling (in part, the origin of information was Mary Emily McKnight, and was copied from the bible owned by Hiram Stubbs). William and Sarah Keeling's children were:
William Lee13 Sep 18661 Feb 1941
Mary CABT 1868 <27 Aug 1882>
Eliza Jane HARPER25 Feb 18709 Jan 1913
Jesse Leonard24 Jan 187226 Apr 1950
Lenora SNELL31 Jan 187417 Aug 1965
Viola ADAMS18 Mar 187614 Aug 1971
Ethel STUBBS14 Apr 187825 Jun 1961
<1881><17 Mar 1890>
<25 Sep 1884><30 Mar 1890>
Bettie B<25>Sep 188424 Aug 1919
William Lee Keeling was born 13 Sep 1866, died 1 Feb 1941, and was buried at Wortham Cemetery in Wortham, Freestone County, TX, according to that cemetery's listings. His Freestone County death certificate lists his year of birth as 1867, but census listings point to 1866. According to their Dallas Morning News obituaries he married Martha Virginia "Mattie" SWILLEY [27 Feb 1862 - 13 Dec 1946; buried Wortham] ABT 1893.
Mary C Keeling is listed in the 1870 and 1880 censuses as Mary and M. C., but no further documentation has been found. She died <27 Aug 1882>.
Eliza Jane "Lida" Keeling was born in Feb 1870 in TX (as listed in the 1870 census), and her Wortham Cemetery listing in Freestone County, TX gives her date of birth as 25 Feb 1870 and date of death as 9 Jan 1913. She married Thomas P. Harper on 4 Nov 1892 in Falls County, TX. He is likely the Rev. Thomas P. Harper (probably Thomas Payne Harper), a Methodist minister whose first two wives (Mary L., and Virginia who died during the March 1890 epidemic) died in Falls County, TX and are buried there at Covington Cemetery. He was born in Mississippi in Mar 1857 and died between 1900 and 1910, probably very close to 1900.
Jesse Leonard Keeling was born on 24 Jan 1872 (according to his Falls County, TX delayed birth listing), died on 26 Apr 1950 (according to his Falls County, TX death certificate), and was buried at Calvary Cemetery in Marlin, Falls County, TX. He married two O'Gwynn sisters: first, Monnie Montez [Sep 1876 (from the 1900 census) or <16 Feb 1875> - 6 Nov 1900; buried ] on 10 May 1896 in Robertson County, TX, and then Kitsy Rebecca [<16 Feb 1882> - 7 Mar 1971; buried ] on 25 Dec 1901 in Falls County. The spelling of the first names of Jesse and Kitsy was taken from the delayed birth certificate of their son William Herman Keeling.
Lenora Keeling was born on 31 Jan 1874 in Reagan, Falls County, TX, died on 17 Aug 1965 in Port Arthur, TX, and was buried at Greenlawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Groves, TX (according to her Jefferson County, TX death certificate). She married Robert James SNELL [22 Dec 1866 - 15 Jul 1946] in Falls County, TX on 19 Nov 1893.
Viola Keeling was born on 18 Mar 1876, died on 14 Aug 1971 in Houston, Harris County, TX, and was buried at Forest Park Lawndale Cemetery, according to her Harris County death certificate. She married Calvin H. ADAMS (his full name based on census entries may be Calvin Charles H.) [14 Jan 1869 - 7 Jan 1939] on 18 Dec 1895 in Falls County.
Ethel Keeling was born 14 Apr 1878, died 25 Jun 1961, and was buried at Wortham Cemetery in Freestone County, TX, according to her Navarro County, TX death certificate. She married John Peter STUBBS [4 Jan 1877 - 22 Feb 1966; buried at Wortham] on 7 Jul 1901 in Wortham. Her death certificate lists her birth year as 1879, which is inconsistent with most (but not all) census entries (she is listed as age 2 in 1880).
Bettie B Keeling was a twin to Lillie and born <25> Sep 1884 (middle initial, month and year of birth taken from 1900 census). She was single and died in Austin, TX on 24 Aug 1919, and was buried at Marlin, according to her Travis County, TX death certificate.
The three children who died in the meningitis epidemic were (from the dates above) , , and . Edgar's date seems a little early, but perhaps the epidemic began in late 1889 (suggestion from Buddy Keeling).
2) ELIZA JANE KEELING was born in Three Creeks, Union County, AR on either 16 Feb (according to her Claiborne Parish, LA death certificate) or 17 Feb (according to her tombstone in Shady Grove Cemetery in Claiborne Parish) probably in the year 1845. Her tombstone says 1847, her death certificate says 1846, and census records are consistent with 1844, 1845 or 1846. If the birth dates of her siblings are accurate, only 1845 is possible. She died on 30 Apr 1924 at a daughter's house in Haynesville, LA. She married Angus Wilson McKinnon in Union County, AR on 15 Feb 1866. According to his tombstone at Scotland Cemetery in Union County, he was born on 11 Dec 1840 and died on 9 Oct 1899 (but 10 Oct, according to Eliza's Arkansas Confederate Pension application - he served in Co. C 2nd Batn. AR Inf.). Census records for him are more consistent with his birth in 1842 or 1843 (probably in Tallapoosa County, AL), and his marriage record with 1842. The couple had 12 children (of whom 8 were alive) by 1900. Ten are listed in censuses, while unverified Internet lists provide two more names:
John Thomas25 Jan 186723 Mar 1938
George L.ABT 18681895-1898
William Alexander "Alec"19 Mar 18709 Mar 1901
Oliver WABT 18721880-1900
Arelious McAlpin "Doc"9 Mar 187319 Dec 1950
Mary Kate RANKIN GARRETT8 Oct 187426 Nov 1947
Gustavus Adolphus "Gus"24 Feb 18765 Nov 1949
Walter Pierce12 Feb 187913 Dec 1963
Henry Artemus28 Jan 188128 Aug 1951
Sarah Margarette CRAIN MORGAN11 Aug 188515 Dec 1951
John Thomas McKinnon was born in Arkansas on 25 Jan 1867, died on 23 Mar 1938, and was buried at Floresville Cemetery in Wilson County, TX, according to his Wilson County death certificate. He first married Mary E. CULLENS on 22 Feb 1893 in Union County, AR. According to the 1900 Falls County, TX census she was born in Sep 1873, while Internet sources state that she died on 12 May 1912 (no TX death certificate found). He later married Frances Ann SPENCER ABT 1918. She was born 29 Nov 1877, died 22 May 1961, and is also buried at Floresville Cemetery.
George L. McKinnon was born ABT 1868 in Arkansas, and died between (roughly) 1895 and 1898. He married Edna I. FULLERTON ABT 1892. She was born in Mar 1871 (from the 1900 census) and remarried Felix E. STANLEY on 10 Feb 1898 in Claiborne Parish, LA.
William Alexander McKinnon was born on 19 Mar 1870, died on 9 Mar 1901, and was buried at Curtis Grove Cemetery in Union County, AR, according to that cemetery's listings. The 1870 census lists his date of birth as Jan 1870 (which may be more accurate), while the 1900 census lists his birth date as Apr 1969. He married Susan Laura COTTRELL in Union County on 15 Dec 1892. She was born 31 Mar 1876, died on 9 Mar 1947, and is also buried at Curtis Grove.
Oliver W McKinnon is listed as age 8 in the 1880 census. I have found no later information, and he presumably died between 1880 and 1900. His full middle name comes from Internet sources.
Arelious McAlpin McKinnon was born on 9 Mar 1873 in Union County, AR, died on 19 Dec 1950 in Natchitoches, Natchitoches Parish, LA, and was buried at Scotland Cemetery in Union County, AR, according to his death certificate. His WWI draft registration lists his birth year as 1874, but this would conflict with Mary Kate's birth date (see below). He married Ruby P. PEOPLES [16 Aug 1889 - 17 Sep 1957; buried at Centuries Memorial Park in Shreveport, Caddo Parish, LA] 28 Apr 1909 in Falls County, TX. They were divorced between 1920 and 1930. Ruby was a first cousin (once removed) of Sarah Amanda Peoples (see above).
Mary Kate McKinnon was born 8 Oct 1874, died 26 Nov 1947 in Claiborne Parish, LA, and was buried there at Shady Grove Cemetery. Her death certificate provides the last two pieces of information, but gives the year of birth as 1875. Her cemetery listing gives that year as 1873, but agrees on the day. I have chosen 1874, which agrees with the 1900 census and is a better fit to the dates of birth of her closest siblings. She was married first to J. D. H. Rankin [ABT 1872 - BEF 1900] on 31 Oct 1897 in Union County, AR. She married John Lumpkin Garrett, Jr. [18 Jun 1860 - 14 May 1941] on 13 Apr 1905 in Claiborne Parish; he is also buried at Shady Grove Cemetery. John Garrett is said to be the brother of Pat Garrett, the famed Sheriff of Lincoln County, NM, who shot Billy the Kid.
Gustavus Adolphus McKinnon was born 24 Feb 1876, according to his delayed Union County, AR birth listing, died on 5 Nov 1949 in Shreveport, LA, and was buried at Highland Cemetery in Mansfield, LA, according to his Caddo Parish death certificate, which lists his year of birth as 1875. He married Sarah A ANDREWS [9 Sep 1872 - 21 Mar 1956; buried Highland] ABT 1900.
Walter Pierce McKinnon was born on 12 Feb 1879 (according to his delayed Union County, AR birth listing), died on 13 Dec 1963, and was buried at Curtis Grove Cemetery in Union County, AR (according to the cemetery listing). He married Mary COTTRELL [25 Aug 1879 - 14 May 1933; buried at Curtis Grove; sister to Susan Laura Cottrell] on 4 Feb 1900 in Union County. Mary's middle initial is listed as "L" on several census records.
Henry Artemus McKinnon was born 28 Jan 1881 (according to his WWI draft card), died 28 Aug 1951 in Shreveport, LA, and was buried there at Forest Park Cemetery, according to hisCaddo Parish death certificate, which lists his birth in Union County, AR on a completely different date (12 Feb 1882). He first married Katie Isabelle PEOPLES [8 Mar 1886 - 29 Feb 1936; buried Forest Park] in Falls County, TX on 10 Aug 1907, and then Pearl VANN. Katie, whose middle name was listed on Henry's WWI draft card, was the sister of Ruby PEOPLES.
Sarah Margarette McKinnon was born 11 Aug 1885 in AR, died 15 Dec 1951 in Homer, Claiborne Parish, LA, and was buried there at Old Town Cemetery in Haynesville (according to her Claiborne Parish death certificate). She first married Jesse R. CRAIN in Union County, AR on 21 Jun 1903, divorced there on 6 Mar 1915, and then married William J. MORGAN [ABT 1862 - AFT 1930] ABT 1916. He had been previously married. The Morgans lived in Shongaloo, Webster Parish, LA.
I have no information about or .
3) B. D. KEELING (his initials were apparently his full given name) was born on 15 May 1846 in Union County, AR, died on 25 Feb 1922, and was buried at the Kosse Cemetery in Limestone County, TX, according to his Dallas Morning News obituary (with a dateline of 28 Feb) and the Kosse cemetery listing. The date of death on the latter is 27 Feb, his date of interment. B. D. had served in Co. I 10th AR Cav. west of the Mississippi River during the latter part of the Civil War. He had been Justice of the Peace in Limestone County for nearly 30 years. An interesting historical note is that B. D. was a witness to the application of U.S. Patent 677586, a churning machine, by Bill Homer McDaniel of Falls County, TX. B. D. married Mary Lucinda MITCHELL [8 Apr 1854 - 8 Nov 1922; buried Kosse Cemetery] in Falls County, TX on 2 Nov 1872. The couple had 8 children by 1900, of whom six were identified by name in censuses, and four of whom were alive in 1900.
Walter Angus22 Nov 187322 Jan 1945
Lee R.ABT 1877BEF 1900
BlancheABT 1879BEF 1900
Ernest22 Jun 18828 Dec 1954
Ira12 Feb 188414 Feb 1946
Marvin23 Feb 18893 Feb 1919
Walter Angus Keeling was born 22 Nov 1873, died on 22 Jan 1945 in San Antonio, TX, and was buried at Austin Memorial Park Cemetery, according to his Bexar County death certificate. All sources list his year of birth as 1873, except his WWI draft card, which lists 1872 (the census records vary). He had been County Attorney and County Judge in Limestone County, TX, and later was Attorney General of Texas and a Federal District Judge. He married Cora Sue SCOTT [15 Mar 1887 - 11 Apr 1984; buried Austin Memorial Park Cemetery] on 1 Oct 1908 in Limestone County.
Lee R. Keeling was listed in the 1880 census (age 3), but not later, and presumably died before 1900.
Blanche Keeling was listed in the 1880 census (age 1), but not later, and presumably died before 1900.
Ernest Keeling was born 22 Jun 1882, according to his WWI draft card. He died 8 Dec 1954, and was buried at Amity Cemetery in Comanche County, TX, according to his Bexar County, TX death certificate, which lists his birth on 25 Jun. He
had been superintendent of several TX school districts. Ernest was married to Grace CARTER [22 Nov 1896 - 22 Sep 1990; she has a marker at Amity Cemetery] in Brown County, TX on 25 Jun 1919.
Ira Keeling was born 12 Feb 1884, according to his delayed Falls County, TX birth listing. He died 14 Feb 1946 and was buried at Kosse Cemetery in Limestone County, TX, according to his Falls County, TX, death certificate. He married Gladys E. ELDER[29 Jun 1892 - 15 Feb 1976; buried Stranger Cemetery in Falls County] ABT 1910, and was later divorced.
Marvin Keeling was born on 23 Feb 1889, died on 3 Feb 1919, and was buried at Kosse Cemetery in Limestone County, TX, according to that cemetery's online listings. His WWI draft card dated 5 Jun 1917 indicates that he was married, but I have not located his wife's name.
I have learned nothing further about the 2 dead children with unknown names that were indicated in Mary Keeling's 1900 census listing.
4) LEONARD JAMES KEELING (the full middle name was listed by Mary Anderson Moore in Vol. 14, March 1972 issue of The Reflector, published by the Amarillo Genealogical Society) was born on 12 Nov 1848, according to a listing on the former Milton Scott web site. The only documents that I have seen list him as "L. J." or Leonard. He married Cynthia A. GARRETT [ABT 1852 - BEF 1900?] in Limestone County, TX on 5 Jun 1873. She later married William Columbus Thompson [ABT 1842 - BEF 1900?] on 7 Jul 1878 in Limestone County. Based on the date of birth of her daughter Maggie Merzell (see below), Leonard James likely died between 1875 and 1878. I have not located either Cynthia or William Thompson after 1880.
Maggie Merzell HOLLEMAN7 Jul 187616 Aug 1953
Maggie Merzell Keeling was born 7 Jul 1876, died 16 Aug 1950 in Arcadia, Bienville Parish, LA, and was buried at St. Rest Cemetery in Lincoln Parish, LA (dates according to the cemetery listings). Her death certificate lists her date of birth as 10 Jul 1877, but the census records are in somewhat better agreement with 1876. Her middle name is listed on the WWI draft card of her husband, Clarence Redell HOLLEMAN [17 Aug 1873 - 28 Aug 1951; buried St. Rest], whom she married on 18 Nov 1900 in Robertson County, TX, where she was living with her uncle David Pierce Keeling.
5) HENRY ARTHUR KEELING was born on 27 Oct 1850 in AR, died in Waco, McLennan County, TX on 17 Apr 1930, and was buried at Calvert Cemetery in Robertson County, TX, according to his death certificate. He married Margaret CHILDRESS [8 Aug 1862 - 27 Dec 1942; buried at Calvert] on 8 Aug 1877 in Limestone County, TX. She listed 8 of 9 children alive in 1900 and 8 of 12 in 1910, of which 9 are identified in census records. The names of the remaining three were listed in the Reflector article mentioned above, and dates were listed on Ancestry World Tree as part of "The Moravian Connection." The children are:
George Washington21 Jan 187928 Apr 1955
Henry Thomas27 Sep 188119 Dec 1964
James Fred18 Nov 18839 Aug 1971
<6 Feb 1886><20 Apr 1886>
Claudius <5>Sep 18881900-1910
Ersie Cordelia JAMISON6 Jul 189119 Apr 1972
Arthur Lee27 Apr 189322 Jan 1979
Mamie Rea MOORE STRICKER13 Feb 189625 Dec 1989
Viola Mable LASTER18 Feb 189918 Jul 1981
<5 Sep 1901><29 Jan 1902>
Margaret Neoma HENDERSON LEWIS31 Jul 19034 Aug 1989
19 Sep 1906 <11 Nov 1907>
George Washington Keeling was born on 21 Jan 1879, died in Amarillo, Potter County, TX on 28 Apr 1955, and was buried there at Llano Cemetery, according to his death certificate. He had been a veteran of the Spanish-American War with Co. F 1st U. S. Vol. Inf. and had served in Cuba. He married Effie Eleanor GANNAWAY [16 Oct 1882 - 23 Dec 1971; buried Llano] (according to "The Moravian Connection" and the Reflector article) on 8 Jul 1900 in Brazos County, TX.
Henry Thomas Keeling was born on 27 Sep 1881, died in Waco, McLennan County, TX on 19 Dec 1964, and was buried there at Rosemound Cemetery, according to his McLennan County death certificate. He married Carrie Elizabeth CROUCH [1 Aug 1881 - 28 Feb 1965; buried Rosemound] ABT 1906.
James Fred Keeling was born 18 Nov 1883 (according to his WWI draft card), died in Tulsa, Tulsa County, OK on 9 Aug 1971, and was buried there at Rose Hill Memorial Park, according to his Tulsa County death certificate. The date of birth listed on the death certificate is one year later and is inconsistent with the draft card and census records. He married Sammie BRIDGES [5 Jan 1887 - Mar 1983; buried Rose Hill] ABT 1912.
Claudius Ervin Keeling (or Claude Erwin, or possibly Claude Irvin or Irwin) was born <5> Sep 1888 and almost certainly died between 1900 and 1910. The 1900 federal census lists Claude I. born in Sep 1888; I have found no later records. The 1910 census listing of Henry's family indicates one additional dead child since 1900, which must be Claudius. The Reflector article lists his name as Claud Erwin, while "The Moravian Connection" lists him as Claudous Ervin and gives his date of birth. I have interpolated between these names.
Ersie (or possibly Ursie) Cordelia Keeling was born on 6 Jul 1891, according to her delayed Falls County, TX, birth listing, died in Waco, McLennan County, TX on 19 Apr 1972, and was buried there at Rosemound Cemetery, according to her McLennan County death certificate. She married Herschel Connell JAMISON [29 Mar 1893 - ] ABT 1917, and divorced AFT 1930.
Arthur Lee Keeling was born on 27 Apr 1893, according to his Falls County, TX delayed birth listing, died in Robertson County, TX on 22 Jan 1979, and was buried there at Calvert Cemetery, according to the cemetery listing. He married Hulda CONITZ [29 Mar 1890 - 2 Aug 1984; buried Calvert] on 2 Dec 1913 in Robertson County.
Mamie Rea Keeling was born 13 Feb 1896, according to her Falls County, TX delayed birth listing, died in McLennan County, TX on 25 Dec 1989, and was buried there at Oakwood Cemetery, according to the cemetery listing. She first married E H. MOORE (according to "The Moravian Connection") and then Henry John STRICKER, Jr. [29 Aug 1903 - 5 Mar 1993; buried Oakwood].
Viola Mabel Keeling was born 18 Feb 1899, according to her Falls County, TX, delayed birth listing [but Viola Mable, according to the TX death index], died 18 Jul 1981 in Waco, McLennan County, TX, and was buried there at Rosemound Cemetery, according to her Waco Tribune-Herald obituary. She married Earl Renard LASTER [1 Sep 1895 - 2 Mar 1879; buried Rosemound], a WWI veteran, AFT 1930.
Margaret Neoma "Maggie" Keeling was born 31 Jul 1903, according to her Robertson County, TX birth certificate that lists her name as Maggie Naomi, or 27 Jul 1903, according to her Robertson County, TX delayed birth listing. She died 4 Aug 1989 in Waco, McLennan County, TX, and was buried at Restland Cemetery in Gatesville, Coryell County, TX, according to her Waco Tribune-Herald obituary. I have chosen to use the date on the original birth certificate and the name she used on the delayed birth listing. She first married Willard Clifton HENDERSON [24 Jul 1897 - Aug 1974 (he is likely the W. Henderson who died on that date in Camden AR)] ABT 1920, and then Will Adolph LEWIS [7 Mar 1884 - 15 Oct 1970] in Feb 1947, according to her obituary.
was born alive on 19 Sep 1906, according to her Robertson County, TX birth certificate that lists no given names. The Moravian Connection date of death is <11 Nov 1907>.
I have no further information on , or .
6) SARAH ELIZABETH "SALLY" KEELING was born 16 Jan 1852, died 23 May 1890, and was buried at Stranger Cemetery in Falls County, TX, according to the cemetery listing. The full middle name was taken from the Reflector article. The date of birth agrees with the one on the former Milton Scott web site. Two marriage licenses (each valid for two months) were issued to Miss Sallie Keeling. The first was issued on 27 Jun 1873 for D. W. Whitworth and was not returned (i.e., to be filled out by the minister or official who conducted the marriage, and presumably not returned because the marriage never took place). The second listed a marriage on 10 Dec 1873 to D. L. Smith [Jan 1839 in KY - AFT 1900]. David L. Smith was a widower living alone in 1900 in Limestone County, TX. I have not located him after that date.
LeviticusABT 1875AFT 1880
Leviticus Smith is listed only in the 1880 census. Given naming patterns that were then common, it is quite possible that the middle name of his father (David L. SMITH) was Leviticus.
7) GEORGE BRUCE KEELING was born <24 Jan 1854>, according to the former Milton Scott web site, and presumably died BEF 1860. The Bruce name was fairly common in the early Keeling family. A sister of Leonard III is said to have married Azariah Bruce in Halifax County, VA; one of their sons was named Leonard Worthy Bruce. A great grandson of Eliza Jane KEELING McKinnon is named George Bruce McKinnon, which may not be a coincidence.
8) MARGARET "MAGGIE" MARZELL KEELING was born 13 Nov 1856, died 8 Oct 1876, and was buried at Stranger Cemetery in Falls County, TX, according to the cemetery listings. She is listed on that record as "Maggie", but Margaret in the Reflector article. The date of birth above and her age at death in the cemetery listing are inconsistent (the latter corresponding to 3 Nov), and I have assumed that the birthday was known and the age miscalculated. At least 6 members of this branch of the Keelings have middle names listed variously as Moselle (see below), Marzell, Merzelle, or Merzell. Especially for this mother and daughter pair (and likely for most or all of the rest), the name is probably the same. I have listed it as recorded in documents, and have no idea what led to its first use. Maggie married Hugh Lawson Parten [15 Jan 1840 - 3 May 1926; buried Uvalde TX City Cemetery] on 10 Dec 1874 in Falls County, TX. She was the second of his three wives. The first (Mary Susan) is also buried at Stranger, while the third (Anne Elizabeth) was buried at Uvalde. Hugh Parten served in Co. D 4th TX Cav. during the Civil War.
Maggie Moselle JUSTICE3 Oct 18762 Jan 1955
Maggie Moselle Keeling was born 3 Oct 1876, according to her Limestone County, TX delayed birth listing, died 2 Jan 1955 in Terrell, Kaufman County, TX,according to her death certificate, and was buried at Thornton Cemetery in Limestone County, according to the cemetery listing. She married John William "Will" Justice [13 Mar 1866 - 14 Nov 1947; buried Thornton] on 30 Aug 1899 in Limestone County. He had been previously married to Alice HAWKINS.
9) DAVID PIERCE KEELING was born 29 Jul 1859, died 28 Mar 1934 in Hearne, Robertson County, TX, and was buried there at Norwood Cemetery, according to his Robertson County death certificate and the cemetery listing. He first married Martha Jane "Mattie" BROOKS on 16 Dec 1884 in Falls County, TX, and then Mary Frances "Mollie" CRUTCHFIELD [13 May 1865 - 12 Oct 1945; buried Norwood] on 22 Oct 1893 in Robertson County, TX. She had previously married a WILLIS and had one child named Alford Harvey Willis. The (April) 1910 census stated that all 9 of her children were alive (including Alford). A marriage license was issued in 1891 in Limestone County, TX to D. P. Keeling and Miss Minnie Freeman, but was not returned, and presumably a marriage never took place. In the list below only Alpha was Martha's child, while the rest were the children of Mollie.
Alpha Elizabeth TAITE22 Jun 188918 Dec 1961
Mary Isa MATHIS2 Jun 189423 Jul 1943
Robert Leonard28 Feb 189616 Oct 1967
Ruth Addie LANE22 Sep 189716 Nov 1975
Ruby Omega BLACK21 Jan 189919 Mar 1939
Blanche Merzelle JAMISON DUNCAN 28 Dec 190023 Feb 1972
David Pierce, Jr.1 Feb 190331 Dec 1962
Zenith Estelle19 Jun 190511 Apr 1981
Mattie Pearl29 Jun 190725 Sep 1971
Fred Lawrence18 Sep 191027 Jun 1976
Alpha Elizabeth Keeling was born on 22 Jun 1889, according to her Cherokee County, TX delayed birth listing, died on 18 Dec 1961 in Houston, Harris County, TX, and was buried at Post Oak [Petteway] Cemetery in Robertson County, TX, according to her Harris County death certificate. She married Cannon TAITE [9 Mar 1885 - 8 Jan 1961; buried Post Oak] on 20 May 1909 in Robertson County, TX. She was the only child of Martha Jane BROOKS to survive until 1900.
Mary Isa Keeling was born 2 Jun 1894, died on 23 Jul 1943 in Hearne, Robertson County, TX, and was buried there at Norwood Cemetery, according to her Robertson County death certificate. She married Clarence Efrom MATHIS [3 Feb 1889 - 21 Dec 1973; buried Norwood] ABT 1909. The spelling of his middle name is taken from the signature on his WWI draft card. I have not located a marriage record.
Robert Leonard Keeling was born 28 Feb 1896, according to his Robertson County, TX delayed birth listing, died on 26 Oct 1967 in Sinton, San Patricio County, TX, and was buried at Taft Cemetery in San Patricio County, according to his death certificate. He married Annie Marion CATES [17 May 1900 - 31 Dec 1955] on 14 Jul 1920 in Fort Bend County, TX.
Ruth Addie Keeling was born 22 Sep 1897, died 16 Nov 1975 in Henderson, Rusk County, TX, and was buried at Norwood Cemetery in Robertson County, TX, according to her Rusk County death certificate. She married Ulys Lane, Sr. [5 Oct 1892 - 16 Jan 1959; buried Parker Memorial Cemetery in Tarrant County, TX] on 17 Nov 1917, according to an article in "Rusk County History" written by their daughter, Mary Lou.
Ruby Omega Keeling was born 21 Jan 1899, died 19 Mar 1939 in Marlin, Falls County, TX, and was buried at Oak Lawn Cemetery in Milam County, TX. The last two pieces of information come from her Falls County death certificate, which lists her year of birth as 1900. This contradicts her Jan 1899 birth date in the 1900 census, which is undoubtedly correct (see also the date of birth of her sister Blanche). Ruby married Henry Crawford BLACK [30 Jun 1891 - 30 Aug 1945; buried Oak Lawn] ABT 1920. He was a veteran of WWI.
Blanche Merzelle Keeling was born 28 Dec 1900, died 23 Feb 1972 in Marlin, Falls County, TX, and was buried at Norwood Cemetery in Robertson County, TX, according to her Falls County death certificate. She first married Madison Love JAMISON [17 Feb 1896 - 13 Feb 1925; buried Norwood] on <1 Nov 1921> (date listed in "Families of Falls County Texas") and then Perry Isaac DUNCAN [18 Nov 1904 - 19 Feb 1976; buried Norwood] ABT 1929.
David Pierce Keeling, Jr. was born on 1 Feb 1903, died on 31 Dec 1962 in Hearne, Robertson County, TX, and was buried there at Norwood Cemetery, according to his Robertson County death certificate. He married Annie Mae WATKINS [ABT 1913 - unknown] ABT 1929 (name obtained from the Robertson County, TX online birth index for a daughter), but was divorced at the time of his death. He served in the Navy in WWII.
Zenith Estelle Keeling was born 19 Jun 1905, according to her Robertson County, TX birth certificate, died 11 Apr 1981, and was buried at Norwood Cemetery in Robertson County, TX, according to her Norwood cemetery listing. She was single.
Mattie Pearl Keeling was born 29 Jun 1907, according to her Robertson County, TX delayed birth listing, died 25 Sep 1971 in Marlin, Falls County, TX, and was buried there at Norwood Cemetery, according to her Falls County death certificate. She was single.
Fred Lawrence Keeling was born 18 Sep 1910 in Robertson County, TX, died 27 Jun 1976 in Hearne, Robertson County, TX, and was buried there at Norwood Cemetery, according to his Robertson County death certificate. He married Lessie L. RUTHERFORD [ABT 1911 - unknown] ABT 1928 (her name obtained from Texas Birth Index).
If anyone spots errors or has missing information, I would be grateful if they would send me an email message. I am especially grateful to Buddy Keeling for proofreading this message and for many valuable suggestions.