The Historic Lawton Place, a summer residence built by General Alexander Robert Lawton, in Mt. Airy, Habersham County, GA c. 1884-84, has been officially entered in the National Register of Historic Places.
Mrs. George Brown Keen, of Vicksburg, Mississippi, bought this property in 1911 Mrs. Keen later remarried a Mr. Knight and kept the property until her death in 1925. During most of the time of Keen-Knight ownership, the house was rental property.
Plans are underway to celebrate the home’s addition to the National Register to coincide with Mt. Airy’s annual observance of All Cities Day, April 24, 2009.
Direct descendants of Mrs. George Brown Keen, also known as Mrs. Knight, are encouraged to attend this event.