From the Chatsworth Plaindealer Chatsworth,Livingston,Illinois
MARTIN KUEFFNER OCTOBER 25, 1912
Martin Kueffner, whose death occurred in this city on Friday afternoon last, October 18, at 1:30 o'clock from general debility, was 87 years and 9 months of age. He had been ailing for about a month, and on Sunday previous to his death was taken with a sinking spell, from which he never rallied. Martin Kueffner was born in Kindenbeyern, in Unterlinach, Wurzberg, on January 29, 1825. He was drafted for the German army and served during the years from 1847 to 1853. In 1853 he received an honorable discharge, and coming to America, the same year settled in Chicago, where he was employed for a short time. From there he went to Franklin Grove, Ill., and worked for two years at the blacksmith trade. He was married in 1855 to Veronica Shott, and shortly afterward they moved to Ashton, Lee county, Ill. He worked at his trade there for four years and in 1859 traded the shop for a quarter section of land in Pramer county, Iowa, and farmed there until 1867, when he sold the farm and bought 80 acres near Mendota, Ill. Two years later he came to Livingston county and bought 160 acres just across the line in Ford county, later acquiring three more eighties adjoining in his county. Here he made his home until the death of his wife, which occurred in 1894. After her death he made his home with his son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Christian Kratz. In 1903 the latter moved from the farm to Chatsworth and Mr. Kueffner came with them to the north side of town, where he resided until the time of his death. Besides the above mentioned daughter there were three children, one of whom, Katherine, died in childhood, and William and Charles, both of whom reside in Chatsworth. He is also survived by eight grandchildren and one great-granddaughter. The funeral services which were held at SS. Peter and Paul's church on Sunday afternoon at two o'clock were conducted by the Pastor, Rev. W.J. Burke. The attendance was large and a long cortege followed the remains to St. Patrick's cemetery where the remains were interred. Among those from a distance who attended the funeral were the following; Mrs. George Full and son, Leo, of Mendota; Frank Kueffner, of Waverly, Iowa; John and Robert McDonald, Edward Haley and Miss Lillian Geary, all of Ottawa; Mrs. Julia Brady and daughter, of Cullom; Dr. and Mrs. E.J. Kelly and little daughter, of Gary, Ind.; Henry, Charles and George Mels, of Saunemin; Jos. Meis, of Roberts.