I am looking for relatives of the following Kulstad's that originated in Norway and emigrated to the US in 1882-1883.Please take a look at the list below and email me if you recognize any of the information.
Ingeborg Andersdtr Dalbak or Dalbakken, b. 1781 and Nils Semmingsen Nordimo b. 1783,
and will start there.
They had a son, Semming, 1808 - 1893. He married Dorte Gundersdtr Bretningen, 1811 - 1851. Children:
1. Ingeborg, b. 1834. Son Semming, who was a tailor in Oslo.
2. Nils, b. 1835. America 1857. Took part in the Civil War.
3. Gunder, b. 1836, tailor apprentice in Oslo. To America.
4. Marte, b. 1838. To America.
5. Goro, b. 1840. To America.
6. Peder, b. 1842. To America.
7. Haldor, b. 1844. To America.
In his widowhood Semming had a daughter, Margrete, b. 1852. Margretes mother was Ingeborg Johnsdtr Dalbakken, 1819 - 1901, whose father John Andersen (1785) was Ingeborg Andersdtr's brother. Got it? :)
Margrete married a Swedish railroad worker, Aron Aronsson, b. 1848. They had a son, Aron, b. 1875. The family went to America in 1880.
Ingeborg's sister, Kari Andersdtr Dalbak, 1792 - 1861, married Peder Johnsen Kulstad, 1795 - 1852. There are three Kulstad farms, - Southern, Middle and Northern, and they lived at Middle (Midt-) Kulstad. Children:
1.John Petersen Kulstad b. 1821His Children:
1. Kari, b. 1842. Stayed at the farm .
2. Peder, 1845 - 1917. Stayed at the farm.
3. Hans 1848 -. Married Mathilde Christensdtr Scharffenberg, b. 1850. Stayed at Midt-Kulstad, later in Ringebu, and went to America 1883. Children:
i) John 1874 - 1947.
ii) Peter 1877 - 1958.
iii) Anton 1879 - 1962.
iv) Mina 1881 - 1883.
v) NoName b. 1883. Died on board the emigrant ship.
vi) Elise 1884 - 1964.
vii) Herman 1886 - 1886.
viii) Mathea 1887 - 1983.
ix) Harald 1891 - 1947.
4. Ingri b. 1854. Married Mathias Pedersen Kraaboel (Kråbøl) b. 1844. To America 1883. Lived in Stanley, Wis. Children:
i) Peder 1875 - 1876.
ii) Peder, b. 1879.
iii) John, b. 1882.
Children born in America?
Ingrid died bef. 1912.
5. Edvard 1857 - 1929. To America 1882. Married Anne Maria Johannesdtr Faldet from Folldal 1868 - 1907. Judge in Stanley, Wis.
i) Alfred Julius, b. 1892.
ii) John, b. 1894.
iii) Harold, b. 1896.
iv) Melvin Edward, b. 1897.
v) William Leonard, b. 1900.
vi) Mabel, b. 1901.
vii) Jennie, b. 1903.
viii) Ruth, b. 1905.
6. John, b. 1861. To America with brother Edvard 1882. Married Inga Wester, lived in Billings, Montana. Children:
Hans and Mathilde stayed first in the Mid West, later on the west coast. The men in the family became specialists in maintenance of saw blades. A picture of the family is enclosed. Hans' grandson Hugo (1899) was a dentist, and later professor, dealing with care of childrens' teeth. Another grandchild was Gladys Howard, who established and ran Bend Flying Services and a restaurant in Bend, Oregon.
Thank you very much for your time,
Debra Porter in Portland, Oregon
Researching the Surnames:Bjordal, Svensson, Petrine, Brettingen, Vuluvolden, Larssen, Reetz,Hanssen,Orjasaeter, Royrhus, Olssen, Froysa, Larsson, Opshaug, Paulsson, Flydal,Bottolvson, Stadheim, Wall,Eggen, Dalbak, Nordimor