In 1425-26:William Laithwaite and Thomas, his son, obtained a lease from the Abbot of Cockersand, Lord of the Manor of Westhoughton of certain lands in the tenure of Laurence Rylands. From 1425 to the Dissolution, they farmed an area of 120 acres at Brinsop, and in 1537, and possibly some time previously, at Borsdane as tenants of James Browne, after his purchase of the Manor in 1545 from the Crown, until about 1551. The Laithwaites for some centuries occupied a prominent position in Brinsop (Brinsop is the smaller and most northerly of the three ancient manors (Brinsop, Snydale & Halghton) which make up the township of Westhoughton).It lies to the west of the Roman Road from Wingates to Blackrod. Thereafter they appear to have continued to hold property in Brinsop and Borsdane or elsewhere in Westhoughton, until about 1750. It seems that the Laithwaites migrated to Bolton and Hindley in the early 18th Century when the Laithwaite association with Westhoughton appears to have ended. note:::: Hindley is within the Wigan District, and Borsdane is on the boundary of Hindley & Westhoughton. Hope this helps, Pam Clarke, Westhoughton.