This is informaton discovered concerning Hyacinthe LALIBERTE of Woonsocket, Rhode Island.Any additional information or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Hyacinthe was born 7 Nov 1844 in Saint-Simon, Quebec, Canada (parents:Hyacinthe ROIREAU dit LALIBERTE and Anathalie CADORETTE).He had one known brother Olivier, who married Marie-Louise BRUNELLE in 1869.
On 22 Jan 1866 Hyacinthe married Marie LACHAPELLE (parents:Joseph LACHAPELLE and Adelaide BIBEAU) at Notre-Dame-du-Rosarie in Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada.
Thus far, twelve children have been found.From data on the 1900 Census, there were a total of sixteen children with ten living at the time (data on the 1910 Census agrees).They are:
1. Hyacinthe Jr (1866 - 1891).At the time of his death at age 25, he resided in Hardwick, Worcester, Massachusetts.His parents are listed as "Hyacinth and Mary LIBERTIE".He apparently died in a railroad accident.
2. Marie Louise (1867 - 1954).On 21 Apr 1884, in Hardwick, MA, she married Arthur MACIER/MESSIER.On the marriage record her parents are listed as "Jessie and Mary LIBERTY".Their children include:Fredick-Joseph, Leonard-Stanley, Ora, Emma-Clara, Violet and Eva.
3. Leopold (1868 - 1868).St-Hyacinthe, PQ, Canada.
4. Jean-Baptiste(1870 - 1937).On 16 Jun 1919 he married Ella Amanda BARON (parents:Louis M BARON and Marie V BESSETTE) in Woonsocket, Providence, Rhode Island.His parents are listed as "Hyacinthe LALIBERTE and Marie LACHELLE".Their children were John Arthur and Cecilia.
5. William (1871 - ?).He was born in Hardwick, MA, apparently the first child born after the family's move to the USA.On the birth record the parents are listed as "Jessie and Mary Liberty"; the father's occupation at the time was "baker".Nothing further known at this time.
6. Louis (abt 1873 - ?).Nothing further known at this time.
7. Felix (abt 1876 - ?).About 1906 he married married Mary J HOWARD.They had one known son: Howard J. LIBERTY.
8. Alexina (1877 - 1915).She married Alma RIENDEAU (possibly Joseph Alma RIENDEAU).They had one known daughter:Cecellia (about 1904 - ?).The 1910 Census has Alexina and Cecillia living with Hyacinthe and Marie in Woonsocket (no mention of Alma).The 1920 Census has Cecillia living in Woonsocket with Joseph and Rosalia Guertin and their sons William and Edmond.Cecilia's relationship is listed as "niece".
9. Eva (1879 - 1958).She apparently never married.
10. Flora C (1880 - ?).On 23 Aug 1909 she married Alphonse J GIROUARD (parents:Joseph GIROUARD and Marie LABOSSIERE) in Gilbertville, Worcester, Massachusetts.They had one known daughter:Mary A GIROUARD.
11. Dora (14 Feb 1882 - ?).Her birth was recorded in Hardwick, MA to parents "Jesse and Mary LIBERTY" with a father's occupation of "baker".On 30 May 1906 in Gilbertville, MA she married Freddie LEPINE.
12. Clara (21 Jul 1883 - Feb 1977).Her birth was recorded in Hardwick, MA to parents "Jessie and Mary Liberty" with a father's occupation of "baker".In 1905 she married James J BARRY in Hardwick, MA.They had four known children:William, Joseph-Rene, Raymond and Esther.James Barry disappears from the record about 1915 and Clara is subsequently listed as his widow.I have not found a definate date of death for James; nor have I found any evidence of a second marriage for Clara.
When he died in 1936, Hyacinthe was living with his daughter Clara in Woonsocket.She was the informant for his death certificate.
It appears Hyacinthe and family moved from Quebec to the USA about 1870, after the birth of John-Baptiste in Quebec but before that of William in Hardwick.The family remained in Hardwick until about 1909, when they moved to Woonsocket, RI (the 1910 Census has the family in Woonsocket).Another indication for the time of the move to Rhode Island is the marriage record of daughter Flora.Her place of birth is recorded as Rhode Island, even though the family had been living in Hardwick for the births of children William through Clara.Of course, she might have been born in RI while the family was travelling there.
I have not been able to connect the parents of Hyacinthe (Hyacinthe ROIREAU/LALIBERTE and Anathalie CADORETTE) into the rest of the LALIBERTE family tree.Maybe someone seing this will have some ideas.
Also note there is another Hyacinthe Liberty with an alias of "Jesse" and a son William living in Massachusetts at this time, specifically in Spencer.I have not been able to find a connection thus far between Hyacinthe of Hardwick/Woonsocket (occupation:Baker) and Hyacinthe of Spencer (occupation:Bootmaker).