Family history of the Henry Ambrose Lamberton Ancestors:
Henry Ambrose Lamberton's father & his father's two brothers came from England in 1760 and settled in Boston, Massachusetts.They took part in the Boston Tea Party & fought in the Battle of Bunker Hill, June 17, 1778.
This was written in a letter to my mother's Aunt Catherine Rose Buck (grand-daughter of Henry & daughter of Evangeline Lamberton Woods) by her cousin, Lina Lamberton Jensen.Lina is the daughter of Alvah A. Lamberton brother to Evangeline & son of Henry.
Below are writing taken from Evangeline & William Patrick Woods Bible who are my gr grandparents:
Henry Ambrose Lamerton was b. Batavia, NY., Nov 24, 1818. He settled in Niles, Michigan in 1837 & later moved to Cass Co., where he m. Suemma(Luemma) Kirk, Jun 10,1837.
They had six children: Tryphenia, William Henry, Alonzo, Sarah Jane, & twins John & Jabez.Jabez died before he was a yr old.Suemma (Luemma) died in 1850 and two yrs later, Henry m. Lucinda Kemp, Feb 29, 1852. They had ten children:
1.Annie Eliza (Aunt Pet)Lamberton m. Henry Kingston & they had 4 children - Dan, Jessie, Charles & Henry Kingston.
2.Evangeline Lamberton m. William Patrick Woods & they had 16 children.
3.Laban Harry Lamberton m. Fannie Belle White & then m. Mary Salee.
4.Alvah R Lamberton m. Amanda Clifton & had 3 children -Lina Lamberton Jensen, Henry & Blanche.
5.Frank B Lamberton m. Carrie Williams
6.Wilkes W Lamberton m. Mary C Burt
7.Edward Ambrose Lamberton m. Mabel A Burt
8.Dora May Lamberton m. Bradford G. Atkines
9.Ruth Hettie Lamberton m. Louis Chambers, then m. NoberSherman
10. Eara Kemp Lamberton (known as Joseph) m. Katherine Williams
Henry Lamberton died Dec 19, 1899 as a respected citizen of Day Co., at his home after an illness of nearly a year of paralysis & Lucinda died Jan 21, 1900.Both of them are buried in Hillside Cemetery, Langford, South Dakota.
Below are other historical writings of Henry:This was from "Matthews History of Cass County Michingan" 1882.
"In 1835, as a young man (17) with his parents he left Genesee Co., New York for this, then a territory, by way of Canada & made it his home at Detroit, Grand Rapids, & Niles successively.Finally about 22 yrs since purchased his present farm, in section 19-Howard Township, Cass Co., Michigan."Niles was known as "Carey Mission" in 1824 when he first came to Michigan.
History from relatives:
Sometime later about 1883 when Dakota was opened to homesteading, Henry Ambrose Lamberton migrated to South Dakota, claiming a homestead for himself & for his nine boys, ten in all, times 160 acres, a total of 1600 acres.He made several trips back to his farm in Michigan to get wagon loads of box elder saplings for wind breaks as they were the only things that would stand the trampling of the buffalo herds. They lost many crops to the buffalo & prairie fires.For many years they lived in sod houses & had sod barns. They kept a stout wire stretched between them to keep one arm over so as not to get lost in the blinding blizzards.They said many homesteaders were found frozen to death a short way from their building which they could not find in the blinding snow storms.
They could see the grain elevators at Langford, South Dakota from Henry's place 40 miles away, the land was so flat. (This was some yrs later).
Henry's first wife Suemma(Luemma)'s father was William Kirk. He went by covered wagon & oxen in 1850 to Oregon. He was from Virginia, b. 1792 d. 1881 in Oregon age 89 yrs.
Henry's son, Laban Harry Lamberton b. Nov 20, 1856 at Niles, Cass Co., Michigan.He d. April 10, 1922 age 65 yrs, 4 mos, 20 days. He was one of the first settlers in the community.With his father & eight brothers, he came from Michigan in 1883 & took up land.
At age 21, Laban m. Fannie Belle White b. 1877 at Watervliet, Michigan to which union were born nine children, five of whom died when small.His companion died Aug 6, 1902.In 1904 he m. Mary Salee of Niles, Michigan.Surviving children: Omer, Harry, Erwin & George.
"Everybody in his locality knew Labe & everybody liked him". (Taken from obituary in local paper "The Langford Bugle").