In and about the time that our ancestors were living in River John, the name Langill was spelt both with and without an e in many documents.In most of the original land deeds of River John from 1830’s to 1860’sthe name is spelt Langill.There are however, a number of these deeds that the name is spelt Langille.In a few documents, the name is spelt both Langill and Langille in the same deed.
In the 1851 and 1871 census of River John, all the names are spelt Langill, but in the 1838 and 1861 census,all the names are spelt Langille.
Many of the older gravestones in River John have the name spelt Langill, but there are almost as many older stones spelt Langille.An few older stones are spelt Langelle and Langell.
It is known that some Langille's changed their name to either Langell or Longueil in order to marry their first cousins.It is very interesting that Langell is pronounced the same as we pronounce Langill (Lan-Jill), and Longueil is pronounced as the French would pronounce Langille.
Most of the families of the North Shore who now spell the name Langille, were listed as Langill in Church documents and land deeds.Certainly the British clerks and Anglican ministers who wrote the documents were accustomed to anglicizing names, and spelled it Langill.
It appears that many of Langill/ Langille family members in Nova Scotia thought that they were un-related to each other.At some time, long after 1900, they realized that they were all related to the same family, and most reverted to spelling the name Langille.
It appears that the (e) on Langille was dropped by most of the Langille families that left River John, Nova Scotia before 1900.It is said that they thought they would be would be prejudiced for jobs, with a french, foreign name.
The vast majority of the families in Nova Scotia today retain the (e) on Langille.There are 500 spelt Langille in the phone book, and only 5 spelt Langill.