LATSHAW FAMILY, p. 513
Surnames: LATSHAW, LATSHOW, GABLE, RUTTER, LATSHAR, LANDIS, SHELLY,LANTZ, LATSHA, LATCHER, BAUER, BOWMAN, BECHTEL, KEMERER, JOHNSON, BOWER, SASSAMAN, MENSCH, MOYER, HIESTAND, CLEMMER, FUNK, REIFF, BOYER, HUNSBERGER, KULP, HALTEMAN, EBERT, HARPST, EBERT, BERKY, SALLADA, SCHOENLY, STOUDT, KOCH, SCHULTZ, GEISINGER, HUBER, SHEETS, KEPNER, WIAND, RIEGNER, TRACE, KOBLE, WIDIGER, ROTH, MEST, KERSCHNER, HAAS, SCHMOYER, ARFIELD
The Latshaw family is well represented in Washington township, Berks county, and there, to-day, especially prominent may be found John H. Latshaw, a farmer near Passmore; David H. Latshaw, a merchant at Bechtelsville; Samuel B. Latshaw, miller, coal merchant, and farmer; and Jacob S. Latshaw, a retired farmer at his home near Barto.
(1) Frantz Latshar, the emigrant ancestor of this old Mennonite family, was a native of Switzerland. He came to America on the "Mortonhouse" which qualified at Philadelphia, Aug. 24, 1728. On the list of passengers his name is spelled "Frans Latshow." He located in Colebrookdale township, Berks Co., Pa. His last will and testament was made in 1781, and was probated Oct. 29, 1795. He left a large estate, which he divided equally among his children. Tradition says that his first wife died, leaving him a number of small children and no one to help in the house. Accordingly he went to Philadelphia (as the pioneers were obliged to do in those days for merchandise or help) for a woman to look after his home and children. He was told of a young woman in good repute whose husband, a Mr. Gabel, had died on the voyage to America, leaving his widow with two small children. At Philadelphia she began a struggling life with her children, finding a place as servant in a Germantown family. Mr. Latshar became acquainted with her, persuaded her to accompany him home as housekeeper, and later they were married. Her son, Henry Gabel, was taken along with them, and early in life was taken into the Rutter household, the Rutters being the early iron masters of Colebrookdale, and he fell heir to some of the Rutter money, also being remembered in his step-father's will. He was a Mennonite and is buried at Boyertown; his birth occurred in 1734. Frantz Latshar and his second wife had children also. The children mentioned in his will, as recorded in book B, page 398, were John, Frantz, Abraham, Jacob, Mary Lantes (Landis), Henry Gabel (step-son), Rebecca Shelly (deceased, the mother of six children) and Catharine Lantz (step-daughter). Of these Abraham lived on the Hereford township farm, and Frantz elsewhere in the same township.
(II) John Latsha, eldest son of Frantz the emigrant, lived in Colebrookdale township, where he died in 1794. He made his will in 1787, Will Book B, page 360. He made his home with his brother Jacob. If he was married he had no children, and his estate was divided among his brothers and sisters.
(II) Frantz Latshar (Latchar), second son of the emigrant, made his will April 1, 1802, and it was probated July 1st of the same year. His wife, Esther, survived him, and was bequeathed 400 pounds in gold. They had three sons, Frantz and Jacob receiving all the land in Hereford township, and John the homestead.
(II) Abraham Latshar, third son of the emigrant, lived in that section of Colebrookdale township, now included in Washington township. He died in 1814. His will in English script, but German words, is on record in Vol. 4, page 114. His children were: Samuel, Johannes, Jacob, Anna, Elizabeth, Catharine, Heinrich (who lived for a time in Clayton, and then left for parts unknown), Alexander and Abraham.
(III) Abraham Latshaw, son of Abraham, was born in Colebrookdale township, now Washington, in May, 1769, and died July 29, 1843. He owned the farm of eighty-eight acres at Passmore. In 1795 he married Elizabeth Bauer, sister to Andrew Bauer. She was born Aug. 20. 1776, and was a woman of determined character. She died Jan. 5, 1869, and was interred beside her husband in the Mennonite cemetery at the meeting house at Bally. Abraham Latshaw and wife had children as follows: Samuel; Abraham, born in 1798, died unmarried in 1818; Anna, born in 1801, m. John M. Bowman, and died in 1853; Rev. John B.; Elizabeth, born in 1806, m. Abraham A. Bechtel and died in 1864; Jacob B.; Henry B. m. Anna Kemerer, and had children-Alexander and Abraham; Abraham, born in 1817, died unmarried in 1840; and Catharine m. Isaac Johnson.
(IV) Samuel Latshaw, son of Abraham, was born March 18, 1797. He died June 30, 1882, and was buried at Bally Meeting House, being a member of that church. He was a farmer on the farm now owned by Jacob S. Latshaw, at Passmore, a tract of eighty-eight acres. He married Catharine Bower, born Dec. 1, 1798, and died July 2, 1878, after fifty-seven years of wedded life. Their children were: Anna, born March 17, 1821, died unmarried Dec. 10, 1875, and was buried at Hereford Mennonite Church; Elizabeth, born Dec. 7, 1822, m. (first) Jonas Sassaman, and (second) Isaac Bechtel; Susanna, born Oct. 23, 1823, m. Samuel Mensch, and died March 27, 1894; John B.; and Abraham, born Dec. 7, 1831, m. Susanna R. Moyer (born Jan. 6, 1838), lived in Pottstown, and had a daughter, Lizzie.
(V) John B. Latshaw, son of Samuel, was born in Washington township, on the old farm at Passmore March 22, 1828, and died March 4, 1887. He was a farmer, though in his earlier life for a time he followed carpentering. He married Maria Hiestand, born July 11, 1837, and died Sept. 16, 1898. They are both buried in Hereford Mennonite Meeting House cemetery. Their postoffice address was Congo, near which station they owned a large farm. Their children were: David, born in 1863 died in 1864; Samuel H., born Oct. 6 1864; Malinda, born Nov. 24, 1866; Menno, born Jan. 22, 1869, is deceased; John H., born April 26,1871; Franklin, born in 1873, died in 1874; Harvey H. born Feb. 17, 1876; David H., born Feb. 25, 1878.
(VI) Samuel H. Latshaw, son of John B. and Maria (Hiestand) Latshaw, born Oct. 6, 1864, is the owner of a gristmill at East Coventry, Chester Co., Pa., to which property there is a seventeen-acre farm. He married Hanna O. Bechtel, of Bechtelsville, Berks county, and they have three children-Verna, Irene and Ella.
(VI) Malinda H. Latshaw, daughter of John B. and Maria (Hiestand) Latshaw. was born Nov. 24, 1866. She married Aaron L. Bauer, a successful farmer and dealer in farm implements in Douglass township. They have one child, Harvey. Mr. Bauer has six children by a former marriage.
(VI) John H. Latshaw, son of John B. and Maria (Hiestand) Latshaw, was born in Douglass township, Montgomery county, April 26, 1871. His education was acquired in the common schools, and West Chester Normal School, attending the latter institution one term. He grew up accustomed to the work of the farm, and was but eighteen years of age when his father died, and the care of the 102-acre farm fell upon his shoulders. He farmed for his mother until one year before her death in 1898. The farm was then sold to his brother Harvey, who still resides there. In November, 1898, Mr. Latshaw bought his present farm of sixty-four acres in Douglass township, Montgomery county, at the Berks county line. He is very successful in his work, and he has made many modern improvements about his place. His walks are of cement, and the whole place is kept neat and clean, presenting a most attractive appearance. The land is very fertile, and is all level and well cultivated. Mr. Latshaw keeps four horses and ten head of cattle, but in the winter time has from fifteen to twenty-five head of cattle. He is a director and secretary of the Congo Creamery Company, which averages about 3,800 pounds of milk daily.
Mr. Latshaw is a Republican in politics, and has served as election officer. He and his family are members of Hereford Mennonite Meeting House, at Bally, of which he has been chorister for many years, and he has held the same position in the Sunday-school since he was eighteen years old.
On Jan. 22, 1897, Mr. Latshaw married Annie F. Clemmer, daughter of Abraham and Mary (Funk) Clemmer, of Hereford township, and their children are: Mabel C., Elsie C., Anna C., Stanley C., Lloyd C. and Mary C.
(VI) Harvey H. Latshaw, son of John B. and Maria (Hiestand) Latshaw, was born Feb. 17, 1876. He purchased the homestead of 102 acres, and devotes all his time to its cultivation, being a progressive and up-to-date farmer, studying the soil carefully. He pays much attention to poultry and to the raising of young pigs. He married Hanna B. Clemmer, daughter of John B. Clemmer, of Bally, and they have two children, Norman and May.
(VI) David H. Latshaw, son of John B. and Maria (Hiestand) Latshaw, and now the leading merchant at Bechtelsville, was born in Douglass township, Montgomery county, Feb. 28, 1878. He attended the local schools of his native district, and worked upon the home farm until he was twenty-one years of age. He then became a clerk in the general store of Jacob L. Reiff, at Bechtelsville, and after clerking there for a year and a half, succeeded him in business, buying out the entire property, stock, fixtures and good will. He carries a complete line of general merchandise, and deals largely in wholesale salts, handling the famous Genesee salts. Since October, 1901, he has been postmaster at Bechtelsville. He is a member of the Mennonite Church, belonging like most of the family, to the church at Bally. He has been active in the Sunday-school for many years, being superintendent and chorister in the Bechtelsville Sunday-school.
On Feb. 20, 1902, Mr. Latshaw was married to Mary Clemmer, daughter of Abraham and Mary (Funk) Clemmer, and have one daughter, Amy Lola C. Beside his store Mr. Latshaw has a forty-two acre farm, and is noted for his success as a potato raiser.
(IV) Rev. John B. Latshaw, son of Abraham, was born in Colebrookdale township April 4. 1804, and at his death Feb. 11, 1878, was buried at East Coventry Mennonite Church. He was reared to manhood in his native district, and after his marriage moved to East Coventry township, Chester county, where he was elected to the ministry of his faith. He preached at East Coventry Church and at the East Vincent Church for many years. He also carried on farming, owning a tract of eighty acres. He married Mary Boyer, born Dec. 4, 1802, and died June 27, 1882. Their children were: Sallie m. Christian Hunsberger; Elizabeth m. Henry Kulp; Abraham lives at Hughesville, Lycoming county; Sophia m. Benjamin Halteman; Samuel B.; Mary m. Jesse Hunsberger; and Susan died aged sixteen years.
(V) Samuel B. Latshaw, son of Rev. John B., now a miller, coal merchant and farmer at Barto, was born in East Coventry township, Chester county, Oct. 2, 1845. He was educated in the schools of Pigeon Creek, leaving at the age of sixteen years. He worked for his parents until he was eighteen years of age, when he learned the milling trade from S. H. Hunsberger, in whose employ he remained two years. After working at Pottstown, Pennypacker's Mills, Muncy, Lycoming county, and in Missouri, for a second time he located in Muncy. In the fall of 1868 he rented the Henry Landis Mill at Bechtelsville which he operated four years. In the spring of 1873, in company with Mr. A. L. Ebert, he purchased the old Babb Mill property at Barto, on the West Branch of the Perkiomen creek. This mill was operated by the firm of Latshaw & Ebert for three years, and then Mr. Latshaw purchased Mr. Ebert's interest, since which time he has operated it alone. This mill and property were in the possession of the Babb family for about 100 years, the mill being first used as an oil mill, the original deeds of the property mentioning it as an "oyl mill." Mr. Latshaw has greatly improved the property, and in 1855 he added a "roller process." He makes the well known Minnetonka and Snow Flake flours, so popular in nearby towns. Five men are constantly employed in the mill and on the farm. There are sixty-nine acres to the mill property. In 1877 Mr. Latshaw built the barn, 45 x 65 feet. He is very progressive and has the confidence of the entire community. The pumping station of the Standard Oil Company is partly built on three acres of land which belonged to Mr. Latshaw. In politics he is a Republican, and was township auditor for some years. He and his family are members of the new Mennonite Church, in which he has always been an active worker and he has been trustee and treasurer. He is a teacher in the Sunday-school at Bally.
In the fall of 1869 Mr. Latshaw married Annie E. Harpst, daughter of Henry and Mary Harpst, of Schuylkill township, Chester county. She was born May 29, 1849, and died Nov. 6, 1902, and was buried at Bally. To this union were born: Mary A., of Bally, m. Irwin H. Bechtel (who died in 1902) and has two sons-Irwin and Stanley, and Amy m. Dr. Oswin Berky, of Bally.
(IV) Jacob B. Latshaw, son of Abraham and Elizabeth (Bauer), was born on the Latshaw farm in Washington township, in 1808-09, and after a life devoted to farming in Douglass township, Montgomery county, he died in October, 1882, and was buried at Christ's Lutheran Church, at Niantic. His wife Anna Sallada, born in 1809, died in 1862, and was buried in the same cemetery. Their children were: Levi, who died unmarried; Abraham, of Reading; Jacob S.; George, of near Congo; David, of Topton; Maria, m. to Jacob Schoenly (deceased); Annie, m. to Joel Stoudt, of near Niantic; Elizabeth, m. to Henry Moyer (deceased), of Niantic; Matilda, m. to Jeremiah Koch, of Niantic. Of these Levi, Abraham and Annie are deceased.
(V) Jacob S. Latshaw, son of Jacob B., now living retired two miles south of Barto, near the Montgomery county line, was born in Hereford township, Nov. 28, 1837. He was brought up on the farm, and learned the shoemaker's trade when he was about fourteen. This he followed for about seven years. He then began farming on his father's farm in Douglass township, where he lived four years. After that he farmed six years at East Greenville, and then returned to Douglass, where for four years he farmed for Andrew Bauer. The next seven years were spent on the Mary Ann Schultz farm and in 1882 he moved to his present location. His farm is a part of the original homestead of the Latshaws, and has been in the family name upward of one hundred years. It now contains eighty-seven acres and everything is in first class condition. In the of 1902 Mr. Latshaw retired from farming. He and his family are Lutheran members of Christ's Church at Niantic, of which he has been deacon, elder and trustee. In politics he is a Republican, but he has never cared to hold public office.
On Nov. 14, 1862, Mr. Latshaw m. Emeline Schoenly, daughter of Andrew and Elizabeth (Boyer) Schoenly, of Washington township. She was born May 20, 1840, and died Sept. 13, 1908, and is buried at Niantic. The children born of this union were: Horace, a grocer at Pottstown, m. Sarah Geisinger, and has two daughters, Stella and Erea; Amanda m. C. K. Huber, of Douglass township, Montgomery county, and has had three sons and two daughters, Harry, Norman, Alf, Jannie and Agnes (deceased); Melvin died unmarried aged twenty-eight; John, a farmer in Douglass township, Montgomery county, near the Berks county line, m. Kate Sheets; and Agnes m. William Kepner, of Pottstown, and has a daughter Florence.
(V) George Latshaw, son of Jacob B., lives in Douglass township, near Congo, Montgomery county. His children are: Abraham, of East Douglass township, m. Kate Wiand; Milton, of East Douglass township, m. Sofiah Riegner; Henry m. Kate Trace, and lives in East Douglass township; William m. Kate Koble, and lives in East Douglass township; Annie m. William Widiger, of East Allentown; John and Robert are unmarried and live in East Douglass township.
(V) David Latshaw, son of Jacob B., makes his in Topton, Berks county. His children are: Lovinia m. James Johnson, of Northampton county; Idea m. Henry J. Roth, of Breinigsville; Agnes m. Nathan Mest of Topton; Caretina m. William Kershner, of Topton; Amanda m. Edward J. Haas, of Topton; Emma m. Eurathias Schmoyer, of Lyons; Jacob m. Bella ____ and lives at Breinigsville; Alvin m. Sarah Arfield and lives at Topton; and Milton, of Topton, m. Sallie ____.
LATSHAW FAMILY, p. 593
Surnames: LATSHAW, HINNERSHITZ, YERGER, MOYER, ALEXANDER, REEDY, BOWER, HENDEL, MYERS, EYRICH, ADAM
The first of the name of Latshaw in America came to Pennsylvania late in the eighteenth century, and settled either in Chester or Montgomery county, and there his son John was born. John Latshaw, on reaching manhood, settled in the vicinity of Fritztown, Berks county.
John Latshaw (2), son of John and grandfather of Howard and Adam Latshaw, was born in Spring township about 1804, and died in middle life. He was a tailor by trade, and was also engaged for many years in quarrying stone, which he disposed of to contractors. He married Polly (Mary) Hinnershitz, and to them were born the following children: Jacob; John (3); Abraham; Isaac; Harriet, m. to Solomon Yerger; Mary, m. to Valentine Moyer; Jonas; Catherine, who died at the age of ten years; Joseph, a farmer of Spring township; and Susan, m. to John Moyer. Both John (2) and his wife are buried at Hain's Church.
John Latshaw (3) was born Nov. 7, 1838, in Spring township, and died Aug. 29, 1902. He was an engineer and was sixteen years with the G. W. Alexander Company, of Reading. During the Civil war he enlisted as a member of Battery F, 1st Pa. Light Artillery, being mustered into service Feb. 13, 1864. He served in the Second Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, and among others participated in the following engagements: Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor and siege of Petersburg. He was mustered out with his regiment June 9. 1865, and was given an honorable discharge. Mr. Latshaw married Rebecca Reedy, born Dec. 28, 1839, who died Sept. 26, 1902, daughter of John Reedy, of Spring township, and children as follows were born to them: Mary E.; J. William, who died suddenly in 1907, aged forty-three years; Thomas; Adam, of Reading, m. to Christina F. Bower; Howard; and Catherine. Mr. and Mrs. Latshaw are buried at Sinking Spring burial ground.
Adam Latshaw, son of John (3), was born at Sinking Spring, May 12, 1868. When still quite young he learned the hatting trade, and during the summer months he worked at the trade at Alexander's Hat Factory at West Reading, and during the winters he attended school. For about six years he was employed by the Alexanders, and later he worked for Kessler's at Reading for about seven years. In 1895 he commenced working at the John Hendel & Son Hat Factory in Reading, and continued with them as journeyman until 1901, when he was made foreman of the blocking department. This position he has since most capably filled, and being a good mechanic himself, he is able to direct wisely the nine men in his charge. Since 1894 he has resided in his own home at No. 118 Hamilton street, and in 1905 he built his present handsome residence, a two-story brick, to take the place of the former home at that number. He is the owner of some fine pigeons, all flying homers, and of these he has from one to three hundred all the time. His best bird won a 500-mile race. He also keeps fancy chickens, white, brown and buff Leghorns, as well as other fancy breeds.
On July 6, 1894, Adam Latshaw was married to Christina (or Christie) F. Bower, daughter of John and Christina Fredericka (Bower) Bower, both natives of Wittenberg, Germany, who emigrated to America, landing at Castle Garden July 4, 1881. Mr. and Mrs. Bower have five children; Maria Catharine, Christina Fredericka, Wilhelm Frederick, Rosanna Barbara and Martin Frederick. Mr. and Mrs. Latshaw have one daughter, Rosiena Helen, an accomplished musician who began playing the piano when only seven years of age, and who is now attending the public schools.
Howard Latshaw, son of John (3) and brother of Adam, was born in Spring township Sept. 15, 1870, and was educated in the township schools. He was but thirteen years of age when he learned the hatting trade with G. W. Alexander & Co., with whom he served a full apprenticeship of three and one-half years. He continued in the employ of this firm until March 1, 1890, when he engaged in the grocery business at the corner of Chestnut street and Second avenue, West Reading, where he owns a brick dwelling 15x43 feet, with additions. He carries a full line of general merchandise, and he possesses the full confidence of the community in which his business is located, his goods being of the best quality and his prices moderate. In addition to his home and business property Mr. Latshaw owns much other valuable building property in the borough, and is considered one of the most substantial business men in West Reading. In politics he is a Democrat. He was baptized and confirmed by the Rev. William H. Myers, of Reading, and now holds membership in Bethany Lutheran Church of West Reading.
On Sept. 15, 1884, Mr. Latshaw was married to Annie Eyrich, born Oct. 17, 1872, who died Dec. 9, 1906, daughter of Franklin and Mary Ann (Adam) Eyrich, the former of whom lost his life at the age of twenty-three years, when with his brother on a pleasure trip, he slipped on the deck of a steamer and fell overboard. Mrs. Latshaw had the following half-brothers and sisters: Annie; Richard; Robert Pattison; Mary Ann; Carrie and Katharine A., all of whom are deceased, with the exception of Katharine A., who with her mother resides at the home of Mr. Latshaw in West Reading.