From the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY, COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F. A. Battey & CO., Publishers. 1883." page 368, Monon Township, White County, Indiana
"HUGH LOWE was born in Fayette County, Indiana, March 30, 1830, and is a son of CHARLES S. and ELIZABETH (DICKEY) LOWE; the former a native of Marion County, Virginia (today in West Virgina), the latter of Fayette County, Indiana. The father of HUGH was a general trader, and when HUGH was four years old he removed to Miami County (Indiana), entered and cleared land, on which he lived three years, then sold and removed to Peru (Indiana). In spring, 1834, he came to Monon Township, purchased a farm in Section 24, on which he lived until his death - about 1842. After his father's decease, HUGH remained at home with his mother until sixteen years of age, when he went to an uncle in Virginia, where he attended school; later he returned to Indiana and became a trader - beginning with a shot-gun and ending with some calves, so that when twenty-one years old he possessed $4,500. He purchased 120 acres in Monon Township; to-day he has in this township 2,100 acres, besides other lands and cattle, in which he is the heaviest dealer in the county. MR. LOWE was married, March 4, 1852, to ELEANOR M. WILSON, daughter of JOHN WILSON, by whom he had seven children - LILLIE F., CHARLES W., JESSIE L., CLARA M. (deceased), MAY M., HUGH C. and ELEANOR B. (deceased). MRS. LOWE died October 9, 1873. On May 29, 1877, he married MARY E. BUSSELL, daughter of WILLIAM W. and CLARA P. (LEFFLER) BUSSELL. MR. LOWE has one of the finest residences in the township. MRS. LOWE is a member of the Christian Church."