I have found the following on line:
It shows a lot of the names we are used to in that area. I don't know when the Longcriers showed up exactly.
Jacob Shook, The Man and His Legacy. By Bob JonesCopyright 2001, Asheville NC
The original land grants on Lyles creek record the owners, Johan Baum in 1750 was the first recorded, Simon Yonoss (Jonas) and Hinrich Shrink, Phillip Hahn, Conrod Mull, Conrad Boobey and Johann Hagins appear soon after. Then in 1753 the German United Brethren or Moravians purchased a huge tract of land in Lord Granville’s district, location undefined. They set out to determine the land they would select and brought a small team of surveyors across the Catawba to "look for the land". As guide they hired Johann Baum. Being duly impressed with the area between the South Fork of the Catawba and the Catawba proper they decided that this area, which included Lyle’s Creek, would be an ideal spot for their projected colony. John Carteret, Lord Granville set aside this huge parcel, as well as several others, for the Moravians and ceased to sell land there late in 1753.
For ten years the land lay under this reserve. The Moravians decided to place their colony at a less remote area which is today Forsyth County, NC in 1755, but the restriction still remained on the Catawba lands until 1763. In that year the land was released and it seems that many German settlers had been living on the land in question without deed for up to ten years. In 1763 many of them came to the Land Office in Rowan County at Salisbury, a two day walk away from home, and registered their claims. The surnames from Lyle’s Creek include Henry Pope, George Schmidt (Smith), Jacob Wissenaut, Adam Aker (Eckard), Adam Bolch, Thomas Cowan, Peter Grunt, Michael Hart, Johan Haun, Andrew Killian, Isaac Lowrance, Peter Stutz, Christian Treffelstadt, Conrad, Joseph and William Whittenburg and William Fulbright. (so there is our Jacob’s aunt Chistina’s husband, Wihelm Vollbrect in 1763)
Then in late 1763 John Carteret, Lord Granville, died and his heirs in England closed the sale of his lands. It was 1778, 15 years later, before the office would open again, and many, many Germans had come to live on the unclaimed lands by then. In December 1778 8,900 acres were registered in Salisbury on Lyle’s Creek alone. Among these names we find Christopher Beekman (Jacob’s Capitan in the Cross Creek Campaign) Adam Bolick, George, Peter and William Deal, George Eslinger, Peter Gront, Frederick Gross, Devault Hunsucker, Johann Isonhower, Frederick Shull, Andrew Fulbright and, our guys, Johann (Hans) and Jacob Shuke (Shook). In that year Jacob was 29 years old.
It is obvious from these many land rolls that the Germans predominated in Lyle’s Creek. Land was the historical issue, but religion was the heart of the story for the Germans. These were a refugee folk, for generations they had been persecuted, driven to exile and isolated by the surrounding cultures due to their religious beliefs. As a product of this experience these groups had developed a self contained resolve to remain independent. This resolve had motivated the majority to leave Europe behind and make the perilous journey to America in the first place.
It was to be after 1770 before the first real congregation of German speaking settlers began to form west of the Catawba. In those years they were served by itinerate "circuit riding" preachers who would come from time to time to their meeting house built on the South Fork of the Catawba. This first church, Der Saut Fark in German, was the predecessor of "Old" St Pauls Lutheran Church in Lincoln County which still exists today.
On the rolls of that church’s early membership, as reported in 1775 by it’s first permanent minister Johann Arends (or Ahrend, Arent, Arnt and Arndt as it is variously spelled in English records) we can find the Lyle’s Creek surnames of Bolich, Hahn, Hauk, Killian, Klien, Siegman, Wiegnburger, Miller and Schuk (Shook). This was a "Union" congregation however, so we don’t know of which sectarian persuasion the Shooks may have been.
Church was the only real authority, for although the distant courthouse at Salisbury was technically the seat of civil power, its reach was weak on the west side of the Catawba, especially in the tight knit German communities.