Hi, I wanted to know if anyone out there is descended from this couple.
Thanks to Carol McCraw, several years ago I became aware that earlier Lumpkin researchers have made serious errors in mixing up two different Robert Lumpkin(s), either combining them both into one person, or else assigning the wrong wife, wrong parents, or wrong children to one or the other.I used to be guilty of this myself.Incorrect information on Robert Lumpkin and Druscilla Hendrick has been passed along for generations now.....the errors are so prevalent that it's hard to convince people otherwise.For some time now I've been trying to share information and get it out there, to hopefully clear up the misinformation.
One of two contemporary Robert Lumpkins (both of whom lived in Halifax/Pittsylvania Co., VA) was born 1750 or earlier, the son of George Lumpkin and Mary Cody.He married Druscilla Hendricks by 1771, and moved to Georgia along with his parents and brothers.He didn't marry Elizabeth Forrest as a second wife: that was a DIFFERENT Robert Lumpkin.
Robert and Druscilla Hendrick(s) Lumpkin lived in Georgia for many years, and they both died in the 1820's.Druscilla was still living in 1827 when her name appears on court papers in Jasper County pertaining to the settlement of her husband's estate.
I have the names of most of Robert and Druscilla Hendrick Lumpkin's 13 or more children and many of their descendants....can anyone add anything?
Here is a link to their family:
In summary, to clearly delineate between the two Robert Lumpkins who were born 1746-1756 and both lived in Halifax/Pittsylvania County, VA:
1.Robert Lumpkin, son of George and Mary Cody Lumpkin:
* was born before 1750 in VA.
* married Drusellar (Druscilla) Hendrick(s) by 1770 in Halifax or Pittsylvania Co., VA.
* Robert & Druscilla moved to Georgia by the late 1790's, where they lived in Oglethorpe, Wilkes, Morgan & Jasper Co. for the remainder of their lives, both dying in the 1820's.
* had 13 or more children (born abt. 1770-1797): HARRISON, GEORGE, PEYTON, ROBERT, HENDRICK "Jordan", GILES, WILLIAM, JOHN L., WALTER EVAN, and at least four daughters (but NOT Martha who married William McCraw).
2.Robert Lumpkin, son of Moore and Martha Richardson Lumpkin:
* was born 25 Nov 1756 in VA.
* married Elizabeth Forrest on 15 Apr 1784 in Halifax Co., VA.
* moved to Knox Co., TN in 1800, then to Randolph Co., IN in 1830.Died there 12 Nov 1842, Elizabeth died there 3 Aug 1848 (gravestones in Nettle Creek Baptist cemetery).
* had 11 children (born 1786-1812): John R., Mary, James L., Robert, Sarah, Richard, William M., Elizabeth, Washington, Nancy, and Anderson.
* Anderson Lumpkin's family bible lists his parents' names and birthdates as well as his siblings' names and birthdates.
I would like to find some descendants of Robert Lumpkin and Druscilla Hendrick(s).I am descended from the other Robert, who married Elizabeth Forrest.I would appreciate any new information on descendants of either couple.