Henry Harrison Luyster of Franklin Twp, Johnson Co, IN who was the son of Stephanis/Steven & Mary (Vandiver) Luyser.
b. 14 Nov 1832 Hopewell, Johnson, IN
d. 18 Feb 1909 Franklin, Johnson, IN
bd. Hopewell Presbyterian Cem., Franklin Twp, Johnson Co, IN
He married 1st on 13 Sep 1854 Delphi, Carrol, IN:
Mary Isabelle Carnahan who died 13 May 1896.
He married 2nd on 27 Jun 1899 Franklin, Johnson, IN:
Clara Hamilton, dau. of James T. Hamilton & Margaret Ellen Demaree
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH (written prior to 1896):
H.H. LUYSTER, the subject of this brief sketch, is one of the prominent citizens of, and mayor of, the city of Franklin, Johnson County, Indiana.He was born three miles west from Franklin, Ind., on November 14, 1832, and is the son of Stephen and Mary (Vandiver) Luyster.The father was a native of Pennsylvania, where he was born in 1797.His (Stephen's) father was Cornelius Luyster, a Hollander by birth, and on his (Stephen) mother's side was a descendant of the Van Ordens, one of the prominent Knickerbocker families of New York.From Pennsylvania, Cornelius removed to Kentucky, when Stephen was a boy , where he died.From Kentucky, Stephen removed to Butler County, Ohio, and, in 1829, came to Johnson County, Ind., and was one of the pioneers of the county. He learned and worked at the wagon-making trade, but in later life followed farming. He died in 1879.The mother was born in Kentucky, in 1800, and was the daughter of Henry Vandiver, of Mercer County, Ky.The parents were married in Kentucky. She died in 1876.Both were members of the Hopewell Presbyterian Church, after its organization.To the parents five children were born, four of whom are living. Our subject was the youngest.He was reared on the farm, and secured a common school education.In May 1864, he was instrumental in organizing Company G, One Hundred and Thirty-second Regiment Indiana Volunteers, which was organized for the 100 days' service, and of which he was chosen captain.He was discharged at Indianapolis in September, 1864. He engaged in merchandising, in 1867, in merchant tailoring and boots and shoes, but made his home on the farm, and in 1871 located his family in Franklin.He retired from business in 1874.In May, 1884, he was elected mayor of Franklin, on the republican ticket, and in 1886 was re-elected.He is a member of the G. A. R. post, and has been a member of the Presbyterian Church since he was sixteen years old.He was married, in 1855, to Miss Mary L. Carnahan, who was born in Tippecanoe County, Ind., and is the daughter of Rev. James A. Carnahan, a pioneer minister.To this union six children have been born, three of whom are living.She is a member of the Presbyterian Church.