I am trying to trace descendants of one of "my" Macraes who married a Mackenzie and together they had a large family in India. Brief details below. If you can help me, please do make contact: I am happy to share all the information I hold.
Elizabeth Macrae was known as "Eliza" and was the daughter of Rev William Macrae, Minister of Barvas, and Mary Macdonald. Elizabeth was born at Barvas, Isle of Lewis on 6 March 1816 and died in Inverness on 13 December 1915, aged 99 years. At Barvas on 3 June 1834 she married John MACKENZIE, known as "John Galson", a tacksman of Galson, Isle of Lewis, and later an indigo planter at Teetwar¬pore, Tirhoot, India: he had died by 1875. John was the son of John MACKENZIE of Galson. They had issue:
1. John Francis MACKENZIE, usually known by his first name Francis, was born on 11 February 1835 and died on 30 November 1906. He was an indigo planter and married Lucy Sisson in Geneva, Switzerland. They had issue (I have further info).
2. Janet Mary MACKENZIE was born on 25 October 1836. At Mozufferpore, India on 8 May 1856 she married Minden James Wilson, an indigo planter. He was born c.1831 and was the son of James Wilson. He was a volunteer in the Bihar Light Horse from which he retired in 1906 after 52 years of service. He died on 16 December 1916. (One of their grandchildren was a Malcolm Macleod). They had issue (I have further info).
3. Charlotte Eliza Flemming MACKENZIE was born on 10 August 1839. At Dinapore, India on 22 June 1858 she married Lieutenant Hardress Edmund Waller of the Bengal Army. He was the son of William Waller and was later to become a Major General in the Staff Corps. He died on 5 December 1901. They had issue (I have further info).
4. Wilhelmina Felicia MACKENZIE was known as "Minna" and was born on 14 March 1841. On 23 January 1865 she married Lachlan MacDonald of Skaebost, Isle of Skye who was an indigo planter. They had issue (I have further info).
5. Blanche Gertrude MACKENZIE was born on 11 January 1843, was alive in 1904. At Mozufferpore, India on 8 November 1864 she married Lieutenant (later General) Theodore William Hogg of the 20th Hussars. He was ADC to his cousin John Nicholson before John was killed in the Indian Mutiny. Theodore was born in Calcutta on 30 July 1841, was baptised there on 13 August of the same year, and died in 1917. He was the son of Charles Hogg of Fergusson Brothers and Company, and Lucy Marshall. (In the 1861 Census for 5 Lansdowne Terrace, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, Theodore's father is described as a retired banker). It is said that one of Blanche and Charles' daughters became a Mrs Cleveland whose hus¬band was in the ICS Central India. There is a vault in the Cheltenham Cemetery, off Bouncers Lane, Gloucestershire in which some of Charles' relations are buried. Blanche and Charles had issue (I have further info).
6. Julia Mannering MACKENZIE was born in Calcutta, India on 16 September 1844 and died on 28 December 1906. On 15 November 1867 she married Dr Cameron of the Indian Medical Service. They had issue (I have further info).
7. Walter Scott MACKENZIE was born on in Calcutta, India on 13 December 1845 and died on 21 March 1883: he was an indigo planter. It is said that Walter married Mary MacDonald, daughter of "Big" Harry MacDonald, however the birth record of their son Kenneth Alastair records her as Mary Henderson. They had issue (I have further info).
8. William MACKENZIE was born on 12 July 1848. In 1874 he married Lucy Cosserat (possibly "Cossaret" or "Casseret") and they had issue (I have further info).
9. Eliza Annabella MACKENZIE was known as "Lizzie" and "Eliza" and was born on 17 April 1852 and baptised in Stor¬noway, Isle of Lewis on 24 March 1853. At Newington Park Church, Edinburgh on 25 October 1875 she married Francis Murray who was usually known as "Frank". He was baptised in Killearnan parish, Black Isle, Ross-shire on 29 October 1845 and was the son of William Murray, a tacksman of Kilcoy, and Jane Fraser Mackenzie. At the time of their marriage in 1875, Lizzie was living at 21, Mayfield Terrace, Edinburgh, and Frank was living in the Sarun District of the Burhoga Presidency of Bengal, India. Frank was an indigo planter and later lived at Kurnoul, Tirhoot, India. They had issue (I have further info).
10. Evander MACKENZIE was born on 9 July 1855 and died young on 8 May 1857.
11. Minden Hardress MACKENZIE was born on 25 October 1858 and married Alice G Watkin Williams (on their daughter Hilda’s birth record it states Alice Augusta). They had issue (I have further info).