My name is Gilberto Fernandes Magroski,and I was born (1949) and raised in South of Brazil, in Rio Grande (city), Rio Grande do Sul (state).
My Great-grandparents were Mariano and Catharina and they were born in Poland and came to Brazil in 1891. That’s all I know about them.
They had three children : Julio (my Grandfather) Estevo (Stephan) and Josefa.
Julio and Josefa lived in Brazil for the rest of their lives, but Stephan went to the USA in October 1923, with his wife (Alexandra) and three children (Adam, Eva and Leonore).
According to the manifest one can see at Ellis, he declared he was going to meet a friend named W. Kastrzewa, who lived in Chicago, at 1009 N. Ashland Ave.
For some reason I don't know, that manifest shows his name (and his whole family) as Magrowski. As the manifest was written using a type machine I assume the immigration officer transcribed it correctly.
However, he sent us a photograph in 1946, signed as Magroski and I don’t know if he kept using Magroski or Magrowski as his surname (the same to his children and their descendants). That’s why I think every Magroski and Magrowski found on the Web may be a relative of mine. Or not. To make things harder, some records show the same person as Magroski and Magrowski.
There’s a site in Polish who shows how many people lived in Poland (in 1990) with a given name. Well, I didn’t find any Magroski, but 110 Magrowski were found. I was careful to search the names with and without the diacritical mark (ó). From what I understand, the original name, the correct form is really Magrowski.
William Hoffman has written an article “Mutilation: the fate of surnames of Eastern Europe” where he says that names ending –owski are sometimes pronounced –sky and written like that. That would explain why there isn’t any Magroski in Poland 1990, but only Magrowski. It would also explain why that surname became Magroski in Brazil as well in the USA.
As for the Magrowski family I was helped by an american (Pole descendant) who taught English in Poland years ago and gently told me what she knew about her family. However, there are lots of Magrowski that aren't included in her tree and I am working on those names because chances are they may be relatives of mine. I still have to contact her and ask if she agrees to have her family tree published here.
As for the Magroski family, all I can assure is:
- they entered USA in October, 1923 and their destination was Chicago;
- their names were written (changed, too?) Magrowski.
I have found an obituary at Illinois State Death Index displaying the death of “Stefan” Magrowski in January, 13, 1950, in Cook County, Chicago. I think it could be ‘my’ Stephan but his age doesn’t match (unless the cemitery record have been incorrectly typed).
Right below are the Magroski names I haven’t been able to establish a connection between them. If you have additional info (classmates, neighbors, email addresses, war veterans, obituaries, graves, etc). about any member of this family, I would be happy to know.Any help would be appreciated. Unfortunately, I can’t reach the NARA archives or microfilms and I can’t go to a public library, because I don’t live in the USA.
Since all these names can be found on the Web I understand they are public records and that’s why I put them here. Sources usually researched were: Who &Where (Lycos); People Finder (Yahoo); US Search; Google; Family Search.com (Mormons); Ancestry.com; Olive Tree.com; RootsWeb.com; Genealogy.com, etc.
Thanks to you all.
Gilberto Fernandes Magroski
Rua Monteiro Lobato 431- Tambau
58039-170 Joao Pessoa – PB
maggroski @ ig.com.br
Note: I had to double the ‘g’ because a cousin of mine had already taken ‘magroski’ as his username on the same internet provider.
01. Adam – Census 1900. Philadelphia
02. Agnes – worked for the National Defense Program, in 1940. Born in Glassport, PA.
03. Anna – born June 6, 1881, deceased October, 1974. Lived in Berks, Reading, PA.
04. Clara – addresses vary constantly, though they are always in PA.
05. Dave – seems to be related to Clara. Sometimes they have the same address.
06. David – may be the same Dave. This one lived in Austin, TX and is (was) 40.
07. Edward – lived at the same address of Stephen (below) in McKeesport, PA.
08. Edward F. – may be the same Edward. Also appears as Magrowski.
09. Helen – Henry’s wife. Children: Carol (Tom) Simmons; Richard; Virginia Poillet and Timothy (Julia). Seven granchildren plus seven great grandchildren (names unknown)
10. Henry – born July 1, 1922, deceased November 2, 2000. Lived in Roseville and in Utica, both in MI.
11. Jessica – lives in McKeesport, PA and is 24.
12. Katarzyna – born in 1839, in Wallina, Poland. Married to Jacob Dorosz in 1860.
13. Kathryn – daughter of Samuel and Anna (Bielski) Magroski. born in 1913, deceased in October 2, 2000. Married to Aaron Spatz Hornberger (1931?). Children: Michael (Arlington, VA); Patrick (Trappe, MD) and Dean (Exeter, PA). Four sisters: Anna Magroski (Exeter, PA); Ida (Magroski) Endy (Bern, PA); Helen (Magroski) Nowotarski (Reading, PA) and Laura (Magroski) Hummel (Severna Park, MD).
14. Louise – maiden name was Clifton. Sisters: Alma Hart (Cincinnatti, OH) and Marcella Wainscott (Independence, ??) Brothers: James Clifton (Silver Grove, ??), Marvin Clifton (Covington, ??). Nephews: Timothy Scott Clifton (Florence, ??), Billy Clifton Jr. (Owenton, ??), Diane Montessi (Independence, ??), Bev Skidmore (Erlanger, ??). Info date: September 2, 1998 McKeesport PA.
15. Mary – born in 1891, in Berks, Reading, PA. Married to Francis Lewandowski.
16. Naomi – born in February 15, 1932; deceased in September, 1985. Lived in South Allegheny and McKeesport, PA.
17. Richard – Lived in Mouth of Wilson, VA.
18. Richard Henry – may be the same Richard? This one is 53 and lives (lived?) in Laurel Springs, NC. Probably he is Sequoyah’s father.
19. Rosalena Dawn – she is 21, studies at Santa Fe Community College, in Gainesville, FL. Probably Samantha’s sister.
20. Samantha – studied at Buchholz High School, in Gainesville, FL.
21. Sequoyah – Golden medal in tennis. North Carolina University. Maybe Richard Henry’s son.
22. Stephen (1) – lives in Pittsburgh, PA.
23. Stephen (2) – lives in McKeesport, PA. Same address used by Edward.
24. Stephen (3) – 1972 class of South Allegheny High School. Maybe 50 years old or so. Maybe all three Stephens are the same person.
25. Tim – probably he is Timothy, Henry’s son. He lived inWarren, MI and so did Helen.
26. Virginia – born in September 16, 1884; deceased in February 15, 1968. Lived in EastPoint and Sterling Heights, both in MI and in Glen Burnie, MD. Same generation of Anna.