Thank you, Sherri. Unfortunately, the connection doesn't seem tofit (unless the story of your James, b. 1810, fits the following story of my James Mark, b. 1813, DOM:5/11/1843 in Carroll County, Illinois (USA), d. 2/13/1869 in Carroll County, Ill., as follows:
A landmark in Mt Carroll [ILL.] vicinity is the Caroline Mark Home for elderly women, a short distance north and east of the bridge across Carroll Creek. The home was built with funds provided for in the will of Mrs. Mark, a widow. James Mark, a thrifty Scotch immigrant came to Carroll County in 1837 and by 1846 had acquired some 500 acres of land in Freedom Township. He bought more land before his untimely death from drowning the night of 13 Feb 1869 during a raging flood in Carroll Creek when the bridge had washed out.
Mr. Mark, born in Scotland in 1813, was a highly respected and prosperous landowner and stockman, a kind and generous man who became president of the First National Bank of Mt.Carroll. He was riding his favorite horse home with a package of meat on the stormy night and apparently was swept under the ice while trying to cross the creek. His body was located some time later; the horse found the next morning with a broken leg. At the time of his death, his estate was valued at more than $90,000 which he and his wife had accumulated by hard work and good management during the 32 years he had lived in the county.
Mrs. Mark, the former CAROLINE WADE was born in Virginia of poor parentage and came to Carroll County as a 16 year old girl in 1836 where she met and married Mr. Mark 7 years later. The Mark’s had no children but took 3 little girls to raise which they named Caroline, Gertrude and Annie in 1866.Mrs. Mark, a kindly woman, had observed that many elderly women were left penniless and neglected. She decided to leave the bulk of her estate inherited from her husband which she had managed wisely and increased during the 31 years after her husband’s passing for building a home for needy women.After she died in 1900 [27 Apr 1900], there were many heirs and relatives, and the will made out 6 years earlier was the subject of lengthy litigation. The home, however, was completed late in 1907 and was ready for occupancy early in 1908 with accommodations for 40 persons.[And still operates to this very day!).