The Name Marquart
Our name is put together from both the words "Mark" and "Wart", (Mark = border; Wart = lookout), when at this time in the middle ages officials of the church used "Mark" to designate one boundary of a German area as a territorial border. (Gothic: Marka; Traditional German; Marka: and Medieval German: Marke). Several villages situated in one of the great forests, at this time formed a border cooperative society for one woods or one forest border. within these territories the farmers, together in sections, until the time of the general and special divisions in the middle of the 19th century was on their honor and just consciousness to govern the care of their cattle, namely the swine, the falling of timber and the hewing of lumber. By means of their belonging to one farmyard, they were the first to move into the location to one edge of the forest and in these times all together were able to live and keep house with the commodities of the farming families. It is justified that the individual ownership of a kingdom does not go out beyond this border. Their boundary covers one another therefore with this concept of the border. The word "Mark" originally meant desolate land, and because this as well became useful and also effective when used as border and edge, they later added to the meaning with borderline, borderland and border limit. Thus, it passes how this word finds its expression and also legal concept out of the medieval times, with it being given by those settling here in the first place. This they were given to use or build on and they crowded down into one borderland, such to be behind the connection with the Teuton wandering groups forming at the same time one family or one tribe.
One individual farmer was a member of the border cooperative society and lived on the edge of the regional settlement immediately at the common border. When in the 14th and 15th centuries it now became necessary to distinguish further by name they then added a call name, so the lookout under command to hold the border had one name of Markqartes. The farmer was therefore not quite one designated profession without the office in the cooperative society, the "Grenzwart”. (Border-lookout).
As one of the border cooperative society the Markwart lived on the border, and thus to preserve his designation of position it became his surname, also later when the middle ages passed it became the modern version.
The name is of German origin. Our family belongs to either the former German tribe of the Lombards that came to this country from the north even nearer around 250 B.C. settling between the Elbe and Aller, or the different great West German tribe of people the Saxons who likewise came from the north towards here in the 3rd century A.D. over the Elbe. Shortly, according to their probable rights to its nearby land united in a peaceful manner with that part of the Lombardian population that did not migrate toward Italy. Yet hardly above a doubt presumably it exist, that from this alliance both these German tribes of people became the old inhabiting population of Luneburger, Heide.
It is not the place here or ones occupation to still continue with a full investigation of their succession, and also this question cannot here become a detailed discussion of which village or hamlet is the older in the Vogteien, mountains, Fallingbostel, Soltau, Wietsendorf and so forth, or if they were established by the Lombards or the Saxons. However, after investigations up to this time and that assuming became the publication thereof, that also much of the Luneberger Heide came about out of the fusion of the Lombards with the Saxons.
Older farmer families that lived in the south heather such as, Gralher, Timme, Lohmann, Brammer, Hols, Meinecke, Rehwinkel, Alvermann, Wrogemann, Eggersgluß, Hellwinkel, Kronsnest, Makenthun, Berummerhof, Kothe, Ohlhoff, Dageforde, von Horsten, Fellersmann, Fuhrhop, Othmer, Winterhof, Blomberg, Stovesandt, Reinecke, Pralls, Hopmann, Oehus, Vornhorn, Kuddelsmann, Hormann, Alms, Rodehorst and many others, not belonging to and not kin of Marquardt.
Our name, that today is used exclusively as a surname, was originally an old German, typical male or call name. It is not until in the 15th century that its use came down to one surname. Still around 1630 a farmer named Marquart Marquart lived in Eilendorf (Courtyard No. 1 “Hauß”) near Buxthehude. The earliest appearance of our name is registered by Dr. Ernst Forstemann in an old German name book from the year 601 with the person of Marackward, Count Eppestein, and Duke of Karnten. It is well known there were changes in the name however, as its latest spelling by the Monks in the monastery or the scribe in the chancellery of the Duke, rulers and landlords of other lands, Dr. Forstemann, there are from the middle ages subsequent spellings as. Marcuard 750, Marcward 763, Marcwar 781, Marchard 805, Marchward 846, Marquard 993, Marchward 1060 and Marquart 1090. In the year, 1167 there was in one Latin document in which Duke Heinrich the Lion at a definite border of Bistums Ratzeburg, mentioned the Abbot Marquardus of Luenburch. In the old nobility families of the lower Saxons, the name was also frequently right as a proper name. One noble family, "von Marcart" lives in the district Ulzen.
The spelling of our name in newer times is suitably uniform. There are besides our name Marquardt still the following: Markwart, Markward, Marquard, Marquart, Markwort, Markword, Marquort, Marquord, Marquordt, Markquart, Markquard, Markquardt, Marckwuort, Marckwuardt and so forth. The customary form is usually "Marquardt”. Also within our own linage there is no uniform spelling, individual branches of the family have used "Marquard" and "Marquart". The registration of births, marriages and death registers by the priests in the mountains or in the marriage bureau are likewise not uniform, not even in [Beurdundungen] when the same person is concerned.