McLANE, William H.
source: 1883 History of Henry Missouri , National Historical Co., pg: 529
--- William H. McLane, a native of Cape Girardeau County, Missouri, was born July 6 1816. His father, John McLane, was born in North Carolina, about 1773, and came to Missouri in 1810; he married Miss Lydia Lawrence, who was also born in North Carolina, in 1773. They reared eight children, of whom William was the youngest. John McLane died in 1848, his wife's death having occurred in 1844. Young McLane was brought up in the county of his birth, and when a youth, was engaged in flatboating produce down the river to New Orleans, that then being quite an industry. In 1838, he embarked in the mercantile business at Appleton, Missouri, which he continued for twenty-five years. In August, 1861, he enlisted in the Federal service in Company A, Fifty Sixth Missouri Regiment, and arose from the ranks to the position of colonel of that regiment. Toward the close of the war he was given the command of the Eighth Missouri Regiment, and was its colonel when mustered out in June, 1865. He then returned home, and in the spring of 1866, came to Clinton, Missouri, where he has since been a prominent and enterprising citizen. He is one of the largest farmers in this county, and has 1,000 acres of well improved land. His fine brick residence in the city was erected at a cost of $14,000. Mr. McLane was united in marriage in June, 1846, to Miss Eliza Moore, of Missouri. They have four children: Mary, Isabella (dead), Lydia and Kate. In 1868 Mr. McL. represented Henry County in the state legislature, and served for a term of two years with honor to himself and with credit to the county. From 1872 to 1877, he served as deputy United States marshal, resigning the position in the latter year.